Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM        Guild Wars
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

- No monthly fee
- Runs on pretty much anything
- Runs fantastically
- Very little lag
- Fucking beautiful
- Only place other players exist are in your parties or in towns
- Don't need to physically buy a copy - If you can download the game, you can buy an account online through the software. Then, you get a downloader that downloads each new area you come to (once).
- I-Mockery guild is Veteran Vagrants [VETS], led by Pop N Ko (me). Whisper me for an invite. We have a cape, but no guild hall yet.

----------

JIN* has arrived at Guild Wars with Chojin, and they will play TOMORROW.

Until then, here are some pictures of this really gorgeous game.

From my HUMBLE BEGINNINGS AND GREEN JUMPSUIT.

Why, hello there! Don't mind me, I've just been picking these delicious apples!

Now for a lovely stroll in the woods! Lo, lo, lo-lo!

Dances are class and gender specific, I believe. I wouldn't know, because sad homosexual goths don't dance.

After this point, Ascalon was overtaken by the Charr and burnt to the ground in an event called the Searing. Everything from here on is post-searing. (Game events progress linearly, though other players in similar parts of the story can play with you)

AND LO, THE SKIES OF ASCALON WERE BATHED IN THE RICHEST BURNT SIENNAS IN THE CRAYOLA BIG BOX. WHY SETTING A TOWN ON FIRE TURNS THE SKY THIS COLOR IS BEYOND ME, BUT FUCK IF IT DOESN'T BECOME DEPRESSING AFTER A WHILE.

Ascalon district 1. Fellating other players is entirely optional. I'd like to note that moving in towns is really easy and lag-free for some reason. And that there are no monthly fees, yet this somehow works better.

HOT WHEELS LEADING THE WAY!

GRR

Notice the ultra sexy reflection of the opposing hill in the water. It does the same for enemies and players. The engine for this game is killer, and I never experience slowdown, even with full detail on.

This is a level 20 Necromancer I was running with. 20 is the level cap, and he wasn't too too much better than me. There is no grind in this game. You choose either a story (RP) or a PVP character - RP characters start at level 1, PVP at 20. Playing an RP character leads you through the plotline and unlocks skills, items, and runes for use with your PVP characters. RP characters can also engage in PVP, although only at Arenas and Guildhalls. Reason being, every time you leave town, you get a private copy of the rest of the world to run around in that only you and your party members can exist in. There's no spawn camping, no being queer. You can even hire NPC henchmen to accompany you if you hate other players as much as I tend to. Dying reduces the effectiveness of your skills by a certain percent, which is worked off with experience or by going into town. Moving from town to town is instantaneous with map travel, but will cause you to leave your group (though there's nothing stopping you from agreeing to meet up again in the same district and regrouping). Think I got all the basics out of the way.

Someone else I grouped with.

Small outpost town.

Outside my guildhall. Guilds with guildhalls can fight each other in these special locations. Or you can just sit back and sip a long island ice tea while looking at all the pretty scenery.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM       
I got this cheap at work yesterday, so I brought it home. I've never played a MMOROPOROROGG before, so I don't know how it measures up to World of Wacraft or City of heroes, but I'm having fun. I'm a bit confused abut everything though, especially the guilds. I'm in one, but I don't know what good it's doing me or if I'm supposed to do anything about it.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read that last comment. Still confused, though. I feel like an old man with a new toy.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM       
It's really not an MMORPG. It's more like Diablo 2, where there was a lobby and you agreed to play a game with a few other people. The difference being, each of these towns acts like a 'lobby.' The tradeoff is that you can't meet people in the wilderness and have them steal your shit, kill you, and take your stuff in exchange for no monthly fees and a lag-free experience. I personally favor the exchange. The only thing you're missing out on is watching people run around and possibly ganking one while they're out doing said run-arounds. Since those situations usually only result in one person having fun, it was a wise move on their part in my opinion.

Okay, here's what you can do when you join a guild:
- Access to guild channel which reaches everyone in your guild with it turned on that is online
- Access to people that will help you with quests/missions (this is really helpful since this game doesn't have a team searching feature like COH)
- If your guild leader spends 2 Plat (2000 Gold), everyone in the guild wears a cape of the leader's choosing
- If your guild wins some important PVP arena event (I forget which), you get a Guild Hall. Guild Halls are locations you travel to by map. In the hall are 4 level 20 NPC Henchmen who can help you on Guild Raids. You never want their help because they don't have any tactics and will be killed in short order. The Guild Hall area actually has two halls on opposite ends of an island, with a dock and small outpost town inbetween. When you do a Guild War, the other Guild starts at the other fort and then you run at each other and hug and pick flowers and watch the sunset together.

Fun shit you can do: The minimap in the upper right lets you draw on it football-commentator style. You can use this to show lost teammates how to navigate a particularly gay area or to coordinate advanced flanking maneuvres. Last night we were on a mission to take an urn from some Charr, but we had all died ridiculous amounts of time and were down to 40% skills, health, and energy, so we were drawing football-style patterns to distract and run past the 20+ kitties guarding this thing. The game definitely encourages creativity and I'll always love it for that.

For the record, though, I find combat in COH to be more interactive and fun. Playing Guild Wars in PVP is way, way more wieldy though as it's easier to figure out what the classes (and combinations thereof, since multiclassing is all but required) are capable of and build a strategy around that. Also, since you are restricted to using 8 pre-chosen skills in combat zones, it streamlines the process and adds more strategy to it. I don't see myself playing it for longer than COH, but this game really is a masterpiece for what it's supposed to be. It hasn't crashed on me once yet and the engine runs flawlessly.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM       
This looks awesome, but like WoW and CoH it probably won't run n my PC. What are the minimum reqs?
Mocker
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM       
PIII 800MHz, 256 RAM
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM       
I always wondered how this looks better than Warcraft, but runs smoother on high than on WoW's Medium settings.

I'll definnantly pick it up, if only to feed the D2.
was never good
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:17 PM       
Their graphics engine is nothing short of incredible. It looks fantastic, it runs like a dream. It reminds me a LOT of the Fable graphics engine in terms of cloth movement and lighting effects (white things glow in hard light).

GW - This game really should run on just about anything. My compy can't run COH in full detail at all, but it can run this with full detail and anti-aliasing with no problem. A lower setting should work just fine. And no monthly fees, and then you can join my guild and get other people to join by being female.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjalne
PIII 800MHz, 256 RAM
AARGH.
I hope that can be negociated.
Mocker
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM       
I don't think you can join an American guild if you're from Europe. I could be wrong, though. [This is wrong. --Editor]

Anyway, this game is Diablo II all over again, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I just quit my guild and joined one that's just starting out, let me know if any Europeans want in.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM       
They won't let europeans in certain guilds? SEGREGATION! :O
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM       
This actually looks pretty fun. If you're still playing later on this summer, i'll probably join you. I'm upgrading to a decent PC sometime in july or august, and something needs to tide me over until Oblivion comes out :O
Mocker
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
They won't let europeans in certain guilds? SEGREGATION! :O
It's probably a server thing.

Plus, it probably prevents all the conversations from consisting only of "Bush LOL" and "WE SAVED YOUR ASSES IN WW2".
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM       
Bush LOL
was never good
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:18 PM       
Pjalne. Join my guild, I'll recruit anyone who isn't gay from the boards. You can meet internationals in the international districts of town.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 02:23 AM       
So are there not specific servers then, since everything is instanced? If I buy this game do I have to worry about choosing between playing on RL friends vs online friends choice of server? Cuz that's the most damned annoying thing about WoW.
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:17 AM       
This game is okay. ;>

There is no server choice, and all you have to do is click a drop down list whenever you're in a town to change to a different region server. ;O

No choosing who you like better ;>

And i love the graphics way more than wow, though wow feels more robust. i don't know what that means ;/

And anyone not in america and maybe europe will get some lag, you'll be walking somewhere and be ported back about ten steps- a minor annoyance that they are working to fix in the next patch i think ;0

I think this is a cost-justified game choice ;>
was never good
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:19 AM       
I'm creating a guild today. You all are required to join, lest I ban you.
Mocker
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
Pjalne. Join my guild, I'll recruit anyone who isn't gay from the boards. You can meet internationals in the international districts of town.
Oh man, an I-Mockery guild would be awesome, but I'll have to check the international district to make sure it won't lag. Plus, my little guild and myself went shopping for capes yesterday and everything and I don't want to bail. Like Natialia Imbruglia, I am torn.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM       
I like this better than the WoW thread.
was never good
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM       
JIN switched his country to US because the servers here are better than Europe's anyway. But yes, internationals can join US guilds and vice versa. Intl Districts run the same basically as US ones.

Veteran Vagrants [VETS] is now accepting members! Whisper Pop N Ko for membership :o
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM       
I am considering buying this. Can you get it online like CoH and the Steam games? Because I don't feel like hunting down a copy down-town, but I will if I have to.

Count me in for the guild, of course.
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM       
I guess we should list our player-names ;0

Mine is Seven Losstarot, Chojin is Pop N Ko, and you all can post your own ;p

Pictures soon ;D

PS. I had a look around, and i don't think you can get it online. Only boxed ;0
Mocker
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM       
I think so too. I think you need a hard-copy certificate, which is included in the box.

Can you change your country without reinstalling? I'm still not sure I want to due to the time difference being about eight hours, but teaming up with guys from this board sounds really cool. Especially if Chojin decides who stays and goes.

One question, though, and a spoiler for you who haven't played it: After the first major quest, two years passed and everything went all different. Does anyone know if this will happen again? That would kind of suck, since the chapters will separate people. I kinda get the feeling the first bit was a bit of a kindergarden, though. Sort of a training grounds so you'll have to know the basics to enter the grown-up world.

Oh, and I'm Per Arne.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjalne
Can you change your country without reinstalling? I'm still not sure I want to due to the time difference being about eight hours, but teaming up with guys from this board sounds really cool. Especially if Chojin decides who stays and goes.
Yeah, you, jin and chojin and me is a good party so far.

Will get it boxed like, monday?
was never good
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM       
Actually, as long as you have an installer, you can buy an account online. I have ISOs, and I think you can get them through the guild wars site as well.