Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:51 AM        new SMiLE taster - oi Royal, check it
This probably wont mean shit to anyone except Royal, but there is going to be a UK only vinyl 7" off the new recording of the long lost Beach Boys/Brian Wilson SMiLE album. Its limited to 5000 copies, on three different colours of vinyl and features 'Wonderful' and 'Wind chimes' its out on 9/13. I pre-ordered all 3 colours
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM       
WHERE CAN I GET THIS!? I'm going to be in LA, so I can just cross my fingers that Amoeba music will have this... But I definitely need a copy.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM       
Any opinions on whether the new recordings will be better or worse than the original?
Mocker
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM       
I heard the new Heroes and Villains today - was not dissapointed at ALL, its done really failthfully to the original production wise, Brian's voice sounds pretty good, the instrumentation/backing vocals are all top notch. Can't wait for the full length now

Royal: you can order the single from here, it wont be available in the US www.hmv.co.uk
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM       
Dole, where did you hear the new version? I need it!

It appears like Smile is coming out on my birthday! Such a sweet present.

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:16 PM        re:
i'm trying to avoid this thing. i know it could possibly be sooooo amazing, i've always joked around about how lovely it'd be if it finally happened, and now i'm just scared of it...
.................but lemme know when it leaks.
Mocker
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM       
royal - I can email you heroes and villians if you want...its 4.5mb. Let me know.

Mitchell: I had my doubts too, but the concert was so amazing, I cant wait for the record.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM       
Please email it to me. okcomputer@shaw.ca Thanks a bunch.

I still have the "original" record that has been re-editted to meet the current configuration of the album. It's quite wonderful, although it's not a religious experience or anything. It's a very fine album, and deserves everyone's attention at least.
Mocker
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:28 AM       
I am not one of the joyless obsessives, I just think its a brilliant record with the best versions of some Brian Wilson tunes that were released as inferior versions later on...

mailed to you, let me know what you think.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM       
Yeah, but this new version will suck compared to the original stuff. I gave this new Heroes and Villians a listen and it's just rubbish compared to the Beach Boys version. His voice just can't fucking handle these songs anymore, and the background singers he is using for this new album are just bland and generic. They have none of the charm and ability of the Boys. It's still a great song, but the lack of the Beach Boys on this track is just too jarring and I think I may just have to stick with the bootlegs. Looks like SMiLE will never be complete.
Mocker
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:53 AM       
For shame! I love it, but maybe its because I saw the concert first.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:20 PM       
Hey, I listened to the concert, and I liked it, but it still lacks the magic of the whole band. Have you heard the original album? Because, you really need to. If you haven't I'll gladly send it over MSN.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:31 AM       
I may just buy the new version for the artwork, etc. and to give Wilson some cash, and then just stick the bootleg in the case :/
Mocker
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:17 AM       
Yup, I have tons of the old smile material...cheers anyway royal.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM       
You really have to hear all the old material editted together to the way Wilson wanted it. Anyway, glad you have some old stuff at least. I might still buy the Wilson version, but, after this mp3, I'm not completely sure I will.