Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:00 PM        Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...parate_proms_2

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:08 PM       
yeah well that's the south

but I have to say, I think Georgia must be the worst.. because it seems like most of these stories are always out of georgia
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM        Sheesh
This is just sad

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM       
Desmond Tutu:
Quote:
"racism is stupidity"
Too bad that so many choose to remain (so fantastically) stupid after all these years!!

Old May 1st, 2003, 08:14 PM       
I'm just wondering if they realize that "separate but equal" was overruled quite some time ago. :/
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:26 PM       
Maybe they're going glow bowling and don't want to get freaked out by pairs of glowing eyeballs.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:47 PM       
dumb hillbillies

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:41 PM       
I'm going to play Devil's Avocate for a moment: How is this different than a black college or an Asian graduation ceremony?
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:37 PM        Prom
Asian graduation......just as sad.

Black college.......almost as sad.

(And I don't mean sad as in boohoo either)
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
I'm going to play Devil's Avocate for a moment: How is this different than a black college or an Asian graduation ceremony?
black college: probably a private institution, can do whatever the hell it wants.

public high school: not quite the same, me thinks.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:57 AM       
Well, it's my understanding this is a student-planned private event. It's not the official prom put on by the school. So I don't necessarily see a legal problem.

Obviously there's a moral problem. But they're not doing anything "worng." It's a second prom, set up privately by the students. The school has no control over it.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:02 AM       
Hey, they want to be a group onto themselves, let them. Their loss.

CyborgDuckPenis is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:29 AM       
I would have thought that would be illegal or something, still, it's better than having the racist kids starting fights at a normal prom I guess.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:58 AM       
It's not illegaal at all, it's just repellent.

Are there any "Black" colleges that refuse admission to whites or any other race? I'm aware that there are predominantly and historically African American schools, but somehow I missed their exclussivity. You know, like Golf clubs and all white proms type exclusivity.

same with "Asian Graduations" again, something I haven't heard of before. Are other races actually barred from attending?

A 'whites only' prom. How do you go to that and not feel shamed of yourself? I can't believe there are kids going to both. To me that's totally saying that while you like all kinds of folks, whites only gatherings are fine with you.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:35 AM       
And the number one reason on our "Top Ten List" as to why an all-white prom party is better:

1. The bouquet comes with "his" and "her" spit cups!

Wherever you go, there you are.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM       
It's good to see we've come such a long way in the last 50 years.

This makes me physically ill. I look to the parents of these kids, who weren't smart enough to point out to their kids that this sort of shit is wrong.
________
Avandia lawsuit settlements

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:21 PM       
I wonder if Jews are allowed at the all white prom. I always thought it was pretty hard on whitey that Jews aren't some other skin color, like Ecru, or Mauve.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:25 PM        Sad
You know what is even more depressing....

That the prom the year before was their FIRST integrated prom.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:50 PM       
*law nerd alert*

Actually, just making something private doesn't automatically keep it from being challengeable under the law. If something is traditionallly done by the gov't and they stop doing it and it gets relegated to the private sector, it can be challenged b/c they are just trying to bypass law.

It happened with the JayBird party in Texas where they privatized the nominating of political party candidates in order to keep blacks from nominating black politicians and guess what, the Supreme Court struck it down. Now if this is truly a private party, it wouldn't be organized through the school. If you open your doors to the public, you can't all of a sudden say "essept yu cuz yu blak". This would be a case I'd LOVE to see argued b/c it walks that line of private and traditional public function. Then again, I wouldn't want it argued in front of the current Justices.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM       
I think these people should be allowed to have their own prom if they want. I don't see how it's anyone else's business or why anyone else cares. I mean, if there were people who didn't want to go somewhere because you were there, would you really care? I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't believe in the government trying to force people to get along in the private sector. It's none of the government's concern.

I find these actions disgusting and ignorant but in the end you can't force people to change their minds and hearts. They have to evolve on their own.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:08 PM       
Maybe the white kids are afraid that the black kids will out-groove them.

y

Old May 4th, 2003, 08:34 PM       
The whole idea is tacky, but I do hope people remember this when we talk about having all this "diversity" by having black only, Asian only, Gay only, Male only, etc types of groups and activities that are doing nothing but making people hate each other instead of tolerating one another.

If you FORCE people to "accept" others, you won't get anywhere. If people tolerate differences, then the world will be fine.
Mocker
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
The whole idea is tacky, but I do hope people remember this when we talk about having all this "diversity" by having black only, Asian only, Gay only, Male only, etc types of groups and activities that are doing nothing but making people hate each other instead of tolerating one another.
This is different than having, for example, cultural groups on a college campus that emphsize their given culture, nation, religion, etc.

From experience, those events are generally open to EVERYONE, despite their stated purpose (my girlfriend, who is not Haitian, just went to a Haitian dinner/dance last night).

This is an event geared towards excluding others, not educating others on culture and society.

If there's nothing LEGALLY problematic with it, then I agree with you and Ronnie. It's just unfortunate that people are still this stupid.

Old May 4th, 2003, 10:15 PM       
Kevin, how does an Asian Graduation Ceremony education a country bumpkin like myself about “Asian” culture, which is bullshit to begin with because Asia encompasses Oriental, Russian, Indian and many other cultures. It should be Oriental culture, but I digress.
Mocker
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:35 PM       
If I could understand this "sentence," I would respond to it.