Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM        Dean: Blacks Annoyed by Party's Outreach
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050524/...inority_voters

Dean: Blacks Annoyed by Party's Outreach
By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 8 minutes ago

Black voters are upset with the Democratic Party for coming around just weeks before elections seeking their votes, party chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press.

Taking black voters for granted is a long-standing problem for the party that dates to the 1960s, said Dean, who promised changes in strategy even as he cited diversity at the top of the Democratic National Committee.

"African-Americans are annoyed with the Democratic Party because we ask them for their votes four weeks before the election instead of being in the community now and that's a mistake I'm trying to fix," he said. "There's a new generation of African-American leaders and a new generation of African-Americans. We can't go out and say could you vote for us because we were so helpful during the civil rights era."

Marking 100 days as the party's boss, the former presidential candidate addressed several issues in an interview with AP reporters and editors, including the compromise in the Senate on President Bush's stalled judicial nominees and the right of Democrats to filibuster.

Dean was hesitant to call the compromise a win for his party.

"It's a real test of whether this is a real long-term agreement. That will come when we find out if the president consults with the Democrats" before sending future nominees to the Senate, including a possible Supreme Court choice.

He was more forceful in describing the impact on the Republicans.

"The potential is that we loosened the death grip the right wing had on the Republican Party," Dean said. "It was clearly a loss for the president because he was getting accustomed to ramming things through the House and the Senate without any confrontation."

Dean has pushed to strengthen the party in heavily Republican states and to improve the party's outreach to women, Hispanics and black voters. In the last presidential election, Bush fared better than previous Republican candidates with several traditional Democratic voting blocs.

Dean said he was not concerned that there might be a major erosion in the black vote but was worried about people staying home on Election Day. "We're going to treat every vote as a swing vote," he said.

During the 2004 presidential race, Dean angered many blacks when he said he wanted "to be the candidate for the guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks." He later apologized and called the flag a "painful symbol" to blacks

During one Democratic debate, rival Al Sharpton criticized Dean, the former Vermont governor, for having had a Cabinet with no blacks.

Dean's presidential run also was marked by his use of the Internet to raise money, and he said the party is looking for ways to "empower people" to get involved the way they were initially drawn to Dean's presidential bid.

The Democratic chairman expressed admiration for one Republican: first lady Laura Bush, who has taken a more active role for the administration.

"She's an asset, it's a smart move on their part," Dean said. "People like her, I like her. She's frank, she doesn't toe the party line, she's not a captive of the right wing. She's probably the best salesman they've got."
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:06 PM       
Oi, again Dean does something I think is great but says a bunch of stupid things around it.

Brilliant strategy there. Actually reaching out to a major voting block in non election years to assure their votes when the time comes. Careful, Howard, or your party might think you want to treat them like real people and not some demographic to pander to.

As for the filibuster thing, how is that big loss? Don't the Republicans still have the majority in the Senate large enough to pass the judges? If they maintain that majority when a Dem president comes along, don't you think they would be willing to use the filibuster?

It will be a win or loss depending on how the Democrats handle it. If they go through with Strom Thurmound-esque filibusters to block judicil nominations, then yes, it is a loss for Bush. If they wuss out like they probably will and just filibuster to say "I'm filibustering", then its a win.