Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM        Clear Channel embraces Pirate Radio
I know the source is MTV, but this is the best article I could find on this. This is soooo surreal.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150...headlines=true

For one week now, radio listeners in Akron, Ohio, have been irritated by a pirate-radio broadcast that keeps bleeding into the programming on their favorite stations.

How could a shadowy pirate-radio syndicate manage to keep up this illegal activity against the largest radio network in the country for so long? Well, it couldn't. The fake pirate broadcasts and Web site, RadioFreeOhio.org, are all an elaborate promotional prank from radio giant Clear Channel to hype one of their new radio stations.

With the slogan "Changing Ohio radio," the Web site purports to be a movement of "concerned individuals who are compelled by their overwhelming sense of patriotism and pride to no longer accept what is considered the standard method of operation by a majority of Commercial Broadcasters."

The group claims it has been struggling to acquire the rights to a station in the area to bring "progressive conversation and viewpoints to the American public," which led to the decision to begin its "pirate" broadcasts from an abandoned rubber factory. The site then lists a number of stations in Northeast Ohio that should be forced to give up their licenses, with snarky comments about their programming.

Smart Web surfers, however, have not been duped by the elaborate promotion. They vented on the site's message boards — which, like most of the other content, was abruptly taken down on Thursday and replaced with the warning "The radio revolution begins Tuesday, May 31." Under the heading "@#%$ you Clear Channel," users posted the Web code that appeared to prove the media giant is behind the prank. User inYOURbrain posted the message, "You've got to be kidding me. Clear Channel is everything that is wrong with media distribution these days. I'm not even from Ohio, and I'm offended."

The Web site encouraged listeners to call local radio stations and mention Radio Free Ohio, though it seems like there weren't many takers. A handful of the stations — a mix of Clear Channel, rival Cumulus Broadcasting, NPR and independently owned outlets — reported no calls about the stunt as of Thursday.

Neither independent public radio station WAPS nor Cumulus' WRQK had gotten any calls, but Keith Kennedy, the Operations Manager at WKDD said ours was the first call he'd received, though he added cryptically, "Keep an eye on the Web site."

Did we mention that WKDD is owned by Clear Channel? "I'll be honest and tell you it's not a Clear Channel promotion," Kennedy said. "We heard that they think it's some clever [Web site] registering by someone, but it's not associated with us at all." Riiiight.

A Clear Channel spokesperson finally 'fessed up to the convoluted ruse late Thursday. "It is a promotional site, but we're not disclosing for what Clear Channel station at this time," Jennifer Geary said.

-Gil Kaufmann

_____

And another:

http://crainscleveland.com/news.cms?newsId=3405

Friday, May 27, 2005

Clear Channel pirates

By JOHN BOOTH

It seems the eyepatch has come off and the parrot has turned out to be stuffed.

But just what Clear Channel Communications is promoting in Northeast Ohio with its recent spate of “pirate” radio broadcasts and Internet calls for “radio revolution” is still a murky business.

The buzz — and a good deal of online backlash — began a little over a week ago.

On the Cleveland message boards at radio-info.com, the first post addressing a web site called RadioFreeOhio.org showed up May 19. The message mentioned that Clear Channel-owned WTOU-AM 1350 was “interrupted” by a purported pirate radio broadcast touting the Radio Free Ohio site. Within a day, another post claimed the site’s Internet protocol address was registered to none other than Clear Channel Communications, but offered no supporting facts.

Other messages indicate that similar “interruptions” were heard on other Clear Channel stations, and between May 23-25, several postings at woxy.com and on the weblog of Stay Free!, a Brooklyn, N.Y.-based magazine that covers mass media, provided full data linking RadioFreeOhio.org’s registration to Clear Channel’s San Antonio headquarters.

A Crain’s search of Internet registration records backed up the connection.

In its first incarnation, RadioFreeOhio.org included a series of vitriolic rants about area radio stations, Clear Channel-owned and otherwise, along with its own set of message boards for visitors to the site.

Once those visitors became savvy of the Clear Channel connection, though, RadioFreeOhio.org abruptly changed to a static, noninteractive page consisting solely of a “Radio Free Ohio” logo, a promise that “The radio revolution begins Tuesday, May 31,” and a link to a Yahoo!.com email address.

A Crain’s e-mail to that address was not answered.

Since then, talk on the message boards about the subject is often derisive of the media giant’s apparent guerrilla marketing strategy, especially given Clear Channel’s domination of the airwaves in many markets.

RadioFreeOhio.org’s registration information included the Clear Channel e-mail address and phone number of Rick Moore. A query e-mail regarding the Radio Free Ohio site garnered the following two-sentence response from Mr. Moore, Clear Channel’s director of communications: “Please visit (Clear Channel’s internet site) to find more information about Clear Channel Radio. Thank you.”

North-Canton-based WKDD-FM 98.1 — one of 10 Clear Channel radio properties in Northeast Ohio — is currently running promotions teasing to a “career-changing announcement” from longtime morning personality Matt Patrick, also set for Tuesday morning.

The station is also promoting itself as "Matt FM" this weekend, and touting an eclectic "anything goes" music format, which may be a reference to the "Jack FM" format spreading across the country.

The unspoken slogan of Jack-format stations is "we'll play what we want," and the attitude seems to be one of backlash against corporate-mandated playlists and standardized music formats.

“We are making some changes in Akron,” said Keith Kennedy, director of programming operations for WKDD, WHLO-AM 640 and WTOU-AM 1350. “It’s something with one of (those) three.”

Mr. Kennedy said he could not elaborate, but denied the changes were tied to the Radio Free Ohio web site.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM       
I'm surprised, quite frankly, that this campaign received so much backlash. Perhaps because it's the corporation saying "corporate raido sucks" scenario...

...however this "guerilla radio" tactic is hardly new. The "alternative" station here is called Planet Radio, and they play ad nauseum guitar rock such as slipknot and the like...

They started a new station briefly on 105.9 and for days the only thing they played on that station was "Planet Radio sucks" and then they'd play something like White Zombie, which was (and with the format change at 105.9 lately, still is) VERY rare on the radio.

It's nothing new to me, but the backlash is.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:33 PM       
Anyone else find it a little ironic that MTV seems to be the whistle blower here?
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Anyone else find it a little ironic that MTV seems to be the whistle blower here?
Actually, WOXY, an independent radio station was the one who blew the whistle. MTV was just reporting it.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM       
This is what my sociology professor must have been talking about when he was describing hyperreality.

I really need to e-mail him this article because its such a good example of it.

I hate living in such a postmodern world.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM       
This kinda stuff was actually really common in the early 90's. You had record labels publishing fake zines, and employing people to sit in chat rooms pretending to be 16 year old girls in order to promote their stuff. There were a number of indie labels that were actually subsidized and controlled by majors. All the radio stations aired alterna shows late at night where the DJ's would pretend they had free run of the station. MTV itself aired a short lived show that was supposed to be some guys tapping into their airwaves and taking over for their own pirate television show. Then you had concert tours with huge sections of the audience filled in by casting call extras acting like fans. There was a whole period when trendspotting became big, and they started faking trends that had corporate backing. Recently, Pony shoes relaunched their brand by giving away shoes to celebs and other people they thought were cool...then you have shoe stores that get small run Addidas, and Nike shoes so they can create a false collector market on exclusives. They've been doing it in Pro Wrestling story lines for years too, and it's been big business.

One one hand it's marketing people turning youth culture against intself, and on the other hand, it's just exploiting a culture where industry trade information is common knowledge... kids know about things like box office receipts, ratings, contract buyouts, corporate sponsorships....etc.