Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Being truly Christian is very, very hard and balancing the potential damnation of others (about which you can know nothing since judgement is the province of God)
According to Christian thinking, isn't damnation the result of a natural sinfulness, not God's judgement of paticular sins or individuals?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:05 AM       
Depends on whom you ask. In conventional theology, sinfulness is a deliberate separation from God undertaken by the individual. So, damnation is not God's doing, but a de facto reaction for dying outside of His grace. Id est, you choose not to go to heaven. Hoewver, what is or isn't sin is determined by God alone. So, you detach yourself, but only God knows if you are detached.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM       
My understanding on the matter of "sinfulness" is that certain faiths have different beliefs on the subject. Some believe that no matter what you do in life, if you accept Jesus as your lord and savior by the time you die, then you go to Heaven, but if you don't, no matter how good a person you were, you go to hell. Others believe that it is mostly based on good deeds, and that while it is preferable to believe in Jesus, it isn't the only way to get there.

In other words, fundamentalist Christians are the dicks at a ticket counter that stop selling tickets before they are sold out, and the other guys are the scalpers in the parking lot. Neither one of them is someone you really want to deal with, but at least one of them is letting you in, even if it is for a high price.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM       
So, if Max's right, then not only were you right to mock the pseudo-evangelistic little monkey, but you would have been doing her a favor by going a few steps further, picking up some rocks and staging a good, ol' fashioned stoning.

I like to think that's what Jesus would have done had he caught her using his name so vainly.

Max's and Perndog's comments pretty much sums up why I did not go into the ministry and eventually talked myself out of being a Christian altogether. The idea that life has to be that complex and agonizing ONLY FOR HUMANS sounds way to human for me to easily accept as what God planned.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM       
I don't see anything wrong with the christian faith. There might be stupid people in it but there's stupid people everywhere. Welcome to a world of substandard education, and a place where your ego only exists as it does because there's half-retarded christians out there.
You should feel proud that people are stupider than you rather than acting outraged, because without their stupidity you'd just be an average joe. Not that alot of people on this board are really any better than christians as far as their belief patterns or actions would have it...
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM       
there is only one possible course of action. make and distribute anti-proselytizing literature at your coffee house/campus!
AngPur is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
there is only one possible course of action. make and distribute anti-proselytizing literature at your coffee house/campus!
Furnishing opinions with the message of "Think for yourself". Kind of defeats the purpose, huh?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM       
I did have someone on campus offer me a free copy of the New Testament, but he backed off when I said "No thank you", which is rather refreshing.

I don't mind evangicals if they take no for an answer, but they rarely do.

You should have just chanted, "Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn, Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" while lolling your tongue and shaking ecstatically.

That would've gotten rid of her pretty damn quick.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM       
Am I going to have to make "Lovecraft Sucks" part of my signature or something? :/

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM       
But Lovecraft DOESN'T suck. It's just the Marine's of the world that give him a bad image.
AngPur is probably a spambot
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
Am I going to have to make "Lovecraft Sucks" part of my signature or something? :/
Please do. Trendy old authors for teenage goths are quite butched in culture. Also, Poe and Vonnegut are both very good, but the former has been remembered more for his image than his mastery of English, and the later is a very respectable author who never meant to be read by any and all 13-17 year olds.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM       
Kilgore trout has eyes all over his face and nose
He's scary.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngPur
Furnishing opinions with the message of "Think for yourself". Kind of defeats the purpose, huh?

GET IT?