Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM       
Quote:
Tax cuts for the rich = more willingness to invest = stronger markets = more jobs.
Yeah, that's worked brilliantly so far.

WOLVES. GONNA GET 'CHA. WOOOLVES.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Tax cuts for the rich = more willingness to invest = stronger markets = more jobs.
They tried this in the '20s and the '80s. And you know what they invested in? Yachts, Mansions, Bling-Bling. Unless you're talking jobs like servants and butlers, it won't work.

Like communism, it works in theory, but human nature gets in the way.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM       
Reagans trickle down theory....didn't work then, doesn't work now.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:30 PM       
People who sit around thinking up ways to "fix" capitalism or "make it better" are invariably losers (like OAO) who always fail to take into account human nature. Why? Because it's the one thing that they can't make an equation for or put on a pie chart.

"No one's going to do that because someone will come along and compete with them and the system will keep getting better because it will have to and blah blah blah blah..."

Good on paper, bad in practice, like Communism.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:11 PM       
Alright, you got me. Allow me to fix my argument.

First, if you're trying to make intelligent arguments, leave out the references to communism. Communism was supposed to be a historical inevitability, not a system to be imposed on a nation. It would never "work in theory" because it's not a course of action. So I'll address Max and Helm who were nice enough not to be asinine in their responses.

My point was that at least the wealthy have the ability to contribute to the national economy, and despite the opinions of SO many liberals, plenty of them do so.

The Bush family, given a tax break, would buy that yacht.

But a lot of new money investors would put their extra cash to good use. Much better use, I guarantee, than Joe Welfare would or could.

A better plan would be just to offer easier loans for investors at all levels.

I know part of the point is to just line more bulging Anglo pockets.

But it's not a completely idiotic plan economically speaking, because it might (realistically, not in theory) be effective to a point given the tendencies of the newly wealthy.

Wait. Why am I bothering? I'm not rich. Or poor. Or politically involved.

Fuck.

Just nevermind.

conus is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM       
Quote:
That line about the rich constantly investing in new businessesis a laughable crock of shit.
You mean that resultant blessings really don't trickle down like manna from heaven?
Bass is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:52 PM       
You can't rely on a select few (the rich) to rejuvenate the economy. If the middle and lower class don't have money to spend, the rich don't have profitable business. If the majority of the people have money to spend, a demand for items will go up. If the demand goes up, companys must raise output to a certain degree. In order to accomplish this, they just hire many unskileld workers and pay them. It's much more sound than paying off the rich who buy very little.

The rich do buy more expensive items, but I'd rather sell many, easy marketable, affordable items, each of which producing some profit, than selling few, high priced, difficult to sell items. that the return on is good but not that great In order to do this (stimulate business growth and sells) it's simplest to return the money to that majority of the people.

That's just my opinion though.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM       
I love how people assume that the majority of rich people are liberal spenders yet make claims that people like me fail to account for human nature. It amazes me.

Anyway, tax cuts allow for a more efficient allocation of resources based on supply/demand in the market and increase the incentive to become an entrepeneur.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM       
My dad who is a small business owner received a nice size tax cut because of Bush and he put it back into his buisness by buying a piece of machinery he needed and he has hired an extra worker since then.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:53 PM       
The tax cuts did not just go to the wealthy but to small business owners as far as I know.

I mean everyone techincally got a tax cut but the wealthy and small business owners contributed the most.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM       
Personally, I'd be willing to pay a little more to the government just to keep jesus out of the constitution.