Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:17 PM        Martin Luther
Write now I should be righting an essay on Luther's attack on Erasmus. Having read so much of his banter, the following have arisen in my mind:

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder was devoted to Mary and the Eucharist?

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder was an insufferably pompous asshole?

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder believed that God created man to sin without free will just so that he could throw them into hell?

How could Luther be described as anything but a total dumbass with a big vocabulary?

I'm not trying to be all like "CATHOLICISM YAY, GO POPE!!@", but really, what the fuck?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM       
CATHOLICISM YAY, GO POPE!!@
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:22 PM       
Something makes me doubt that Catholicism is completely free of that kind of stuff.

And don't forget that an awful lot of flavors of Protestantism have departed quite a bit from Luther's teaching.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:34 PM       
Protestants don't deal or live with it. They suffer because of these ideas all their lives and are happy because of it.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM       
If they could find hair shirts, they'd wear them. Protestants still think they are being oppressed when they themselves are the oppressors.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 01:31 AM       
I used to be Lutheran, actually, only because my parents were. It seemed fine to me. None of that "Feast of Saint Bullshit" nonsense, we didn't believe that our wine and bread magically transformed into something much ickier, and in general, it was much more lax than Cathoholics want Church to be.

Seems to me that it is Cathoholics that make religion a burden to it's followers with all that "One true faith" garbage.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:57 AM       
Well, I for one know many Protestants who are ALWAYS coming over for coffee and then breaking down and crying and saying "I just don't know how much longer I can go on being a Protestant! I mean, didn't you hear about Martin Luther?"
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM        Re: Martin Luther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
Write now I should be righting an essay on Luther's attack on Erasmus. Having read so much of his banter, the following have arisen in my mind:

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder was devoted to Mary and the Eucharist?

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder was an insufferably pompous asshole?

How do Protestants live with the fact that their founder believed that God created man to sin without free will just so that he could throw them into hell?

How could Luther be described as anything but a total dumbass with a big vocabulary?

I'm not trying to be all like "CATHOLICISM YAY, GO POPE!!@", but really, what the fuck?
You're talking about Protestants. These are the same folks who send their kids' college money to Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

As for the "insufferably pompous asshole" part, I think most religious leaders are. You're talking about people who think they have a direct line to God.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM       
My old British history prof said that Martin Luther also most likely suffered from chronic constipation.

That probably explains a lot...
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM       
Yeah he had tons of bowel problems. Thomas Moore once wrote an essay to Luther or concerning him and constantly made shit references because of his bowel problems.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM       
I think the majority of churchgoers of protestant denominations in America couldn't even tell you who the fuck Luther was.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM       
Missouri synod in the Hizzous, beeyotch.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
I think the majority of churchgoers of protestant denominations in America couldn't even tell you who the fuck Luther was.
Not even the Lutherans? :/

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 01:56 AM       
He used an earthquake machine to defeat the Catholics.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM       
He invented the Christmas tree and never, ever took a crap.
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM       
Not my church. I used to be a luthern in the sense that I was made to go to church and learn about him and I could just about tell you his whole life story from burning the popes letter to when he died
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Not even the Lutherans? :/
I don't have any census data or anything, but if Lutherans make up the majority of Protestants in America then I'll cheerily rescend my remark.

Personally, having a primarily Baptist and Church of Christ flavored youth, I was only ever told of Martin Luther in History classes.