Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM       
Quote:
It is LOL when people without doctorates in physics start feeling they are qualified to argue for or against physics theorems because they have read a philosophy book.
That's a stupid mentality. We wonder and discuss to the limit of our knowledge and ability. To not do so because there are other with more said knowledge and ability makes as little sense as an artist not drawing because there are better artists than him out there.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:52 PM       
Pieces of paper are what make you smart.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM       
No, no... Art is subjective. Knowledge is not. AChimp is right. Somebody needs to shut this whole "internet" thing down immediately. I dunno WHAT they were thinking when they thought this stupid crap up!

*stomps off angrily*

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:41 PM       
Seth, what specifically is the many worlds theory designed to explain?
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:43 PM       
Well, I know in a general sense what it explains, but does it resolve that say, the Copenhagen theory leaves unresolved?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:59 PM       
I'd say it's designed to help understand the structure of existance, other than that it's not really all that useful. Same as trying to understand the source.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
That's a stupid mentality. We wonder and discuss to the limit of our knowledge and ability. To not do so because there are other with more said knowledge and ability makes as little sense as an artist not drawing because there are better artists than him out there.
Actually, I'm just pissed off that no one laughed at my whimsical Sliders post.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:48 AM       
I, with very little knowledge I might, thought that the many worlds theory meant that we were just in a universe in an atom in the toenail of some guy in a bigger universe.

It really seems stupid and logical at the same time to me becuase there can be matter so minute that we cannot measure it. And it can rearrange itself without us being able to account for it. Then I think about it and the whole idea of there being infinite number of worlds contained with in another just kinda seems like a childishly assenine way of thinking
BANNED

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:57 AM       
That's called Microcosm and macrocosm, and that is something widely accepted as well.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 02:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
And Pern, wave particle duality is something that's actually been witnessed, by light slit experiments and lots of other fun things. You would have a point if there had ever been an experiment wherein energy comes from nothing.
I may be off course here, but what about zero-point generators, which supposedly operate at efficiencies of 500% or greater?
Mocker
camacazio is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM       
There's a theory of one alternate "shadow universe" that accounts for gravity holding stars in place in this galaxy when the mass of the seen galaxy does not account for the gravity holding the stars. Gravity can pass through all dimensions, from our percieved 3 to the discovered 11. Light on the other hand cannot cross dimensions in such a way. That's how gravity can affect this universe from the shadow world, but we cannot see it because it's light doesn't cross the dimensions.

As for big bang, even after parts of theory of Special Relativity (opposed to General Relativity) have been disproved, the part about Big bang holds true to all present theory, including the passage of time. What happened before the big bang cannot ever be realized, and there's absolutely no evidence to say that it'll happen again or anything like it happened before. Just that it is physically proven that the universe is expanding and there must have been tremendous energy to start the push.

I can't really explain it all, but there's a nice easy to read and very colorful 100 page book it's in. Read "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by camacazio
There's a theory of one alternate "shadow universe" that accounts for gravity holding stars in place in this galaxy when the mass of the seen galaxy does not account for the gravity holding the stars. Gravity can pass through all dimensions, from our percieved 3 to the discovered 11. Light on the other hand cannot cross dimensions in such a way. That's how gravity can affect this universe from the shadow world, but we cannot see it because it's light doesn't cross the dimensions.
Sounds like bullshit to me. Theories like this alway pop up when we can't explain something and really want to keep our established theories intact.

Which are these 11 dimensions?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 03:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Actually, I'm just pissed off that no one laughed at my whimsical Sliders post.
I laughed in a parallel universe.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM       
Actually, 11 demensions is a facet of M-theory, which seems to have more respect than any other GUT out there.

Spinster: I believe the initial appeal of the many worlds theory came from a handfull of jerks (whose name I forget at the moment) who couldn't live with a quantum mechanical aspect of some particle having 40% matter waves that can't be atoned for anywhere by consistent observation, so they threw out the idea that they are manifested in parallel multiverses. On paper this also works well to explain how interference patterns are obtained in light-slit experiments when the intensity is reduced to one photon roughly every eight seconds. Granted that's totally a "what the fucking hell?" kind of result, I don't see it as requiring an outlandish conclusion.

I really should have studied for my physics test, which incidentally had a question on light slit interference phenomena. Yeah,

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 05:51 PM       
Quote:
I may be off course here, but what about zero-point generators, which supposedly operate at efficiencies of 500% or greater?
UH UH UH OOOOOOOH YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM       
Yeah, I don't know of anyone that takes zero-point energy seriously, and I've never seen credible evidence for why I should either.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT