Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:25 AM        More proof that Europe sucks ass.....
source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2996219.stm

Emissions of greenhouse gases from the European Union increased in 2001 for the second year running.

Cold weather boosted fuel consumption
The European Environment Agency (EEA) estimates they were 1% greater than in 2000.

The EU as a whole is committed to reducing emissions by 8% on their 1990 levels by between 2008 and 2012.

On present trends, it appears to stand almost no chance of keeping its promise.

The 8% cut is the commitment made by the EU under the terms of the Kyoto Protocol, the international agreement on tackling climate change.

Not enough signatories have yet ratified the protocol to allow it to enter into force.

Two years ago President Bush said the US would not ratify it, and Australia has followed suit.

Lukewarm leaders

There are now doubts about the willingness of Russia to do so, because some of its prominent scientists apparently believe climate change could be beneficial to the country.

It is organising a world climate conference in Moscow in late September, to re-examine the science of climate change.

Hydropower faltered in 2001
The Europeans have all along been the protocol's most enthusiastic supporters, and their faltering performance will be deeply embarrassing to them.

EU emissions of the principal gas covered by the protocol, carbon dioxide (CO2), rose by 1.6% from 2000 to 2001.

Germany, France and the UK saw the biggest CO2 rises from homes and small businesses.

The EEA says the main reasons for the 2001 increase in all six gases were a colder winter in most EU countries, which meant householders burnt more heating fuel.

Coupled with this were higher emissions from transport, and greater use of fossil fuels in electricity and heating.

On the wrong track

The agency says its emissions inventory "represents best estimates and is subject to annual revision".

It says the big 2001 increases in Austria (up 4.8%) and Finland (7.3%) were caused partly by the cold winter, but also by lower rainfall.

The future for a warmer Europe?
This cut hydropower production, and also limited Finnish electricity imports from other Nordic countries.

The EEA says: "The latest figures show that 10 of the 15 member states are heading towards overshooting their agreed share by a wide margin - Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain."

Although the EU as a whole is committed to an 8% greenhouse gas cut, individual member states have their own targets.

Up not down

Some of the less developed countries are actually allowed to emit more rather than less: Ireland, for example, is permitted a 13% emissions increase.

The agency says the three countries furthest from keeping to their share of the overall target are Spain, Portugal and Ireland: its emissions in 2001 were 31% higher than in 1990.

Luxembourg showed the biggest reduction of all, cutting emissions by 44% between 1990 and 2001.

It is on course to keep its Kyoto promise, as are Germany, Sweden and the UK. France looks at present likely to fail by a very narrow margin.

The prominent UK global warming sceptic Professor Philip Stott commented: "One of the most galling things about the whole climate change debate has been European duplicity.

"While lecturing everybody else, especially America, on the morality of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, it has been abundantly clear from the start that most European countries didn't have a snowflake in hell's chance of meeting their own Kyoto targets."
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM       
Wow, Vince. Europe is really big place with a lot of countries. Do they really all 'suck ass', or is that just a really ignorant, lazy, slipshod title for this thread?

It WAS a really cold winter. I wonder how much our greenhouse emissions went up? If ours went up more than the EU per capita, does that mean we suck MORE ass than Europe? Or is it the fact that their greenhouse emission went up AND they signed the Kyoto Protocol? Do you see that as in some way hypocritical?

While I certainly see this as a bad sign for their level of progress, since the signatpory commitments are not to take effect until 2008-20012 (as stated in the article you pasted) how do you see this as a sign that they 'suck ass' as opposed to say, had a much colder winter than last year? Since the US has refused to even sign on to reduction goals as anything beyond voluntary, might it not be the US that 'sucks ass'?

Perhaps you are reffring to this line:
"On present trends, it appears to stand almost no chance of keeping its promise. "

That would indeed, 'suck ass', but it presumes no progress between now and 2008. Think of all the money England had to sink into the war this year that might otherwise have gone to green technologies. Think of the current state of the world economoy. Are you saying you believe the world economoy will not improve over the next six years? That's a pretty gloomy prediction.

"The Europeans have all along been the protocol's most enthusiastic supporters, and their faltering performance will be deeply embarrassing to them. "
I agree. That embrassment might even spur them to work harder. It might spur european voters to elect people more commited to reducing global warming. That would significantly reverse the 'present trend'.

So I guess I'm mystified by your choice of the phrase 'suck ass', unless it was some veiled reference to bio-methane.

I hope you were deeply gratified by how I responded to the article.

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:12 PM       
No, it shows that the Kyoto Treaty is bullshit and that life cannot be dictated by stupid little protocols about decreasing something that has been proven time and time again we have no control over.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM       
So, what you mean then (and I don't agree, I'm just trying to help you reach some sort of clarity) is that the Kyoto Protocol 'sucks ass' and by extention, it's signatories also 'suck ass'?

Do you believe that any attempt to agree between nations on a reduction of Greenhouse Gasses would be fruitless and so 'suck ass'? And what proofs are you siting, because it was my impression the bulk of the world scientiffic community agrees significant climate change is taking place due to human activity, that it will take decades to reverse the potentially drastic effects, and that the sooner we start, the better. But if you're conversant with studies I'm unfamilliar with, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I mean, I'd hate to think some columnist just told you that and you blindly believed it. That sort of lck step behavior would certainly 'suck ass' if you don't mind my saying.

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:37 PM       
You have the internet, don't you? Go look it up yourself. I'm not here to hold your hand.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM       
That 'spineless ignoramus' schtick is cute, Vince. I think you should stick with that one.

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM       
Well, proto, why don't you put down the DM book and add something intelligent to the conversation?

Max is intelligent enough to look up information without me telling him where to look.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM       
That's nice. Just be sure to wipe your lips of all the creamy evidence of his "owning" you.

hatezealots is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
stupid little protocols about decreasing something that has been proven time and time again we have no control over
oh yea, that's right, we have no contol over auto emissions, coal plant emissions, factory emissions, energy consumption or pollution.. any attempts to curb the effects are just pointless. eek, why bother trying!?

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM       
To Vince:

I'm SO sorry that there are people like you in the world...

It is indeed a very sad state for our planet that there are people like you that would support a complete MORON in his execution of our earth and mind you, please remember that we only have this one to live in/on/for!!!

Why don't you do the world a GREAT favor and suck on a tail-pipe, afterall Bush said it wouldn't be so bad....

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:14 PM       
"Proof"? Gasp! More like ROCK HARD EVIDENCE!

ARGH!

If this were a John Grisham novel, Vince would at this point be screaming in Europe's face, causing it to loudly cry out "YES! YES! WE DO SUCK ASS! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!"
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM       
"Max is intelligent enough to look up information without me telling him where to look."

Indeed I am. Are you intelligent enough to 'back up' what you said? I may take you up on it, but since at this point I do all my own fact finding and about half of yours, I'm not terribly inclined. Minus the homoerotic invective, our conversation seems more and more like me talking to myself.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:37 PM       
At least the EU decided to at least try to reduce emissions, whereas the U.S. refused to even think about it.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:59 PM       
life cannot be dictated by stupid little protocols about decreasing something that has been proven time and time again we have no control over

So if we have no control over the greenhouse effect, why would the EU suck ass for having failed to curb its emissions--which you would surely find completely irrelevant--in a particularly arduous period? If we have "no control over" such things, then wouldn't the observation about which this article war written be impossible in the first place?

I mean, it's one idiotic thing to have a double standard, but when each standard cancels out the other you fall quite beyond the normal threshold of stupidity. Please, for sake of the unlikely chance that you might someday be able to breed, please smash your own testicles NOW.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
No, it shows that the Kyoto Treaty is bullshit and that life cannot be dictated by stupid little protocols about decreasing something that has been proven time and time again we have no control over.
Nonsense Vince. Europes emissions may have increased slightly, but it is nothing compared to the emissions we put out. If the United States had signed the Kyoto Treaty, then our emissions would be significantly lower.
The entire treaty is not rendered fruitless by a minor setback.

Besides Vince, don't you want clean air?
Resident Chimp
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:42 PM       
He'll only want it if those dirty hippies are somehow prevented from breathing it; afterall, they didn't work for it.

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:32 AM       
Hey, guess what people? Studies showed that it was HOTTER during the Middle Ages! Now we all know the world was crowded with SUVs during the Crusades and all.....

Dumbasses.

And I am a dumbass for even bringing that up. How the fuck do we know how hot it was 10000 years ago? We can only go by shady evidence. Besides, there was reports as recently as 4 months ago that TREES give off greenhouse-type gasses. Should we go and cut the trees down? I believe this was in Nature Magazine, if I am not mistaken. But I guess that is a big right-wing magazine
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:03 AM       
eh, Vince, the middle ages were about 1000 years ago. not 10000.

and if Europe sucks ass for having VERY cold winters and therefore feel the need to keep themselves from freezing or keeping crops to go bad or whatever, you suck ass even more.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM       
Vinth: There are multiple sources for making highly accurate world climate models for the middle ages.

Ice cores, the geologic record of glaciation, chemical analysis of soil samples, records of sea levels and ocean currents, what crops were harvested where...

Nature? You mean the british journal of Natural Sciences? Or were you, like, thinking of Ranger Rick? I'll look for it.

You could shorten your posts that hav anything to do with science by just cutting and pasting this sentence:

"Vinth don't know nuthin' bout no science."
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:37 AM       
Quote:
We can only go by shady evidence. Besides, there was reports as recently as 4 months ago that TREES give off greenhouse-type gasses.
Good thing you never got that biochem gig. 'Cause, like, I'd think you'd have to pass elementary biology before working in a biochem unit, and any biology professor would fail your ass on the spot after that stoundingly stupid statement.

EDIT: By any chance, did the author of that article used to work for a tobacco company? Maybe you could provide us a link to it. Or maybe, like your submarine letter, it just doesn't exist.
________
Honda cbr600f4i history

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.

Old May 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM       
sspadowsky, why do you deny something that was reported by scientists? I can't help it disagrees with your idiotic views, but please don't talk shit about something you know you have no defense against.

You need to get back to doing something more useful, like being the center of a circle jerk for the Log Cabin Republicans.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:49 AM       
Quote:
Besides, there was reports as recently as 4 months ago that TREES give off greenhouse-type gasses. Should we go and cut the trees down? I believe this was in Nature Magazine, if I am not mistaken. But I guess that is a big right-wing magazine
Is there a link to this article, or some website elaborate further on the study?

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:59 PM       
There was an ample library of data on the subject, but unfortunately, the roommate of the professor who was conducting the research threw it out.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:16 PM       
Quote:
TREES give off greenhouse-type gasses... if I am not mistaken

hot dawg.. the right IS as i thought, um not all for yes, i do have some rightwing friends that think.
Resident Chimp
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:38 PM       
It's true that plants will release small amounts of carbon dioxide, but it would take an entire forest to be equivalent to just one car. Claiming that plants are responsible for global warming is ridiculous.