Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:37 PM        Freedom of religion=Freedom FROM religion??
I was in a conversation with my mother recently and she said that just because we, as American citizens, have the freedom to follow whatever beliefs we want, that does not mean that we have the freedom to NOT believe anything. We have the right to be agnostic and atheist, but she thinks that if religion were to stay out of the public eye entirely, then this country would be the next Soddom and Gamorrah (sp?). I however, feel that the farther away from the public religion gets, the better off we all are. What are your opinions?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM       
Religion has a few good ideas and reminds us all to play nice, not poke people with sticks, etc. However, since these values have already become ingrained in society and can be taught in a non-religious way, there's little need for religion anymore, IMO. I certainly don't find any problems getting along in life as an atheist.

In fact, most of the time I don't even consider any kind of belief when I'm going about my business.

Having said that, I don't think that religion will ever disappear entirely, but its influence will become less and less over time, as has been evidenced by events of the last century. I know I've used this example before, but it illustrates what I'm trying to say. In one episode of Star Trek: Voyager, Janeway tells some aliens that "we [humans] have grown beyond the need for those kind of beliefs." Of course, in the Star Trek universe, there are still religions, even among humans, so it still exists, but is inconsequential for the vast majority of people.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM       
Although I hate Star Trek (boy, am I gonna be crucified for that one...) I find that that was a VERY good example to express my point.

Sorry, religion, we don't need you any more.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:06 PM       
To quote Stratovarius:

No Christ, God nor religion
Gave me the answers I was looking for
Arrogant hypocrites
Selling the key to heaven's door

I've got my own way
I don't care what you say
You speak your truth and I speak mine

Find your own voice
Unleash the power within
Go find your own truth and let (the) others be
Let your own light guide your way through life
Find your own way
Make your own paradise

Find your own voice
It's your own choice

Find your own voice
Unleash the power within
Go find your own truth and let (the) others be
Let your own light guide your way through life
Find your own way
Make your own paradise

Find your own voice
It's your own choice
Find your own voice
It's your own choice

"Find Your Own Voice", Stratovarius

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:38 PM       
An atheist dies and goes before God to be judged. Well, he was somewhat miffed with the Creator and wanted to know what went wrong.

"I thought you were a just and loving god. How can you let things like the Columbine shooting, corruption in government, death and destruction wrought by our military and all the other horrible things happen? Why didn't you stop all that."

God cocked an eyebrow and said, " You said it yourself. I have no place in government."
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 06:48 PM       
Wow, gee thanks Grandma!

Whoops, sorry, thought I was reading one of her email forwards there...

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:03 PM       
Quote:
"I thought you were a just and loving god. How can you let things like the Columbine shooting, corruption in government, death and destruction wrought by our military and all the other horrible things happen? Why didn't you stop all that."

Oh yes, you are absolutely right, because every one of us atheists uses that exact "why do bad things happen to good people" argument to justify our lack of belief.

We are all stupid, and blame the god (the same one that we dont even believe in; how does that work?) for everything wrong in the world.

Bad things happen because people suck. everyone knows that. It has nothing to do with a god or the lack of one.

If I die and it turns out there is a god, my first reaction would be:

"oh shit, sorry about not beleiving in you and all, it seemed to make sense at the time. forgive me?"

not

"Fuck you, your world sucks and I hate you!"

Just because I dont beleive there is a god, doesnt mean I would hate him or blame him for all the shit in the world if I was proven wrong, jackass.
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:09 PM       
I would kick God in the nads to make sure that he was real. Any guy that exists, heavenly or not, would go down.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:13 PM       
El Blanco, that was great.

I honestly can't see why any intelligent person would NOT believe in God. The list of the greatest minds of our time include an assload of people who believed in God.
Now with less sodium!

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:13 PM       
Now with less sodium!

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
I honestly can't see why any intelligent person would NOT believe in God. The list of the greatest minds of our time include an assload of people who believed in God.
Their being great had NOTHING to do with their belief in a god.

And by the way, YOU believe in God, and YOU are NOT intelligent. So nya-nya-nya-fuck-you.

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:27 PM       
I think my IQ, my ACT scores and my hopefully acceptance to MENSA would think you are wrong in your assumptions.
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:28 PM       
Quote:
I honestly can't see why any intelligent person would NOT believe in God.
I asked you to explain some of the scientific reasons you have to back up your beliefs, but you never bothered to respond. I can't see why any intelligent person would believe in God.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:31 PM       
Vince I don't think that will matter if you go to heaven or hell you will still be an asshole.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:35 PM       
Very likely, assuming Christian doctrine is correct, Vince like many other Christians, will reach neither place. He would probably find himself in Outer Darkness, as described in the book of Hebrews and the Gospels.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:10 AM       
Quote:
I think my IQ, my ACT scores and my hopefully acceptance to MENSA would think you are wrong in your assumptions.
I prefer to think that your IQ, ACT scores, and MENSA acceptance are not sentient, and do not possess cognitive abilities.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:23 AM       
Quote:
Did you get a letter from Mensa asking you to join like the submarine letter?

And just a clue for the clueless you: IQ and membership in Mensa do NOT make you any more correct than the next person.

Albert Einstein lamented his creation of the cosmological constant; a physics fudge factor to make certain calculations works. He later said he wished he had never made it up in the first place. Einstein had a brilliant mind, but that did not mean that he was correct.

But I guess anything is possible when you so proudly wrap yourself in arrogance and self-conceit.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:10 AM       
Einstein didn't believe in a sentient god either. And the MENSA test isn't all it's cranked up to be. I took it for fun once, and the result ended up above the average for members. Not saying you're MENSA material or that I believe you, just saying that that test isn't worth shit.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM       
"Albert Einstein lamented his creation of the cosmological constant; a physics fudge factor to make certain calculations works. He later said he wished he had never made it up in the first place. Einstein had a brilliant mind, but that did not mean that he was correct"

And they later found that it was true, hehe.

RELIGIOUS WORDS TO LIVE BY:
Back when I was in seminary school, a person there approached me with the propisition, that you could peition the lord, with prayer. Petition the lord, with prayer. YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD, WITH PRAAAAAYER.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:14 AM       
Wow! Great minds believe in God! I'd better start believing soon or someone's going to think I'm stupid!

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:22 AM       
I know the MENSA test isnt that big of a deal, but i just wanted to join. I've took their test online and got great results, so i figured what the hell?

And Einstein wasnt just the only guy that believed in God, and his belief still held until he died.
Mocker
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:32 AM       
No, no. Read again. Einstein was NOT a Christian. He did not believe in an all-powerful entity that could control the Universe. He was a spiritual man, but no believer in God.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM       
Now, I know you are not smart, but did I say they were Christians?

Nope.
Mocker
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:32 AM       
What?! 'They?' Who?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:56 AM       
The "many famous/great minds believed in God" argument is just as empty as the "many famous/great minds were vegetarian" one. Give it up.