Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:29 PM       
doesn't affect anything b/c outside the white house is public property.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM       
Did I mention that I wouldn't be wearing pants?

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:40 PM       
Unfortunately, obscenity is not protected by the 1st amendment. You could probably get away with it in west hollywood.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM       
You might get attacked by patriotic parking commissioners, Proto.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:14 PM        FREEDOM!!!

Body painted PETA protesters on the Rideau Canal

No fancy Constitutional rights required. You want to take off your pants, and protest? Come to Canada! This pic was a taken a couple of weeks ago in Ottawa, with a wind chill of -25C it only lasted 4 minutes, but plenty of time for this kid to get a good look.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:36 AM        Hmm
Ms. Punk,
True enough. Obscenity is not covered under the 1st Amendment. However, I can only conclude that you have never seen Proto naked.

Nudity as an artistic expression of the ideal male form is hardly obscene.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:52 AM       
***psst***

thanks dude, your check will be arriving shortly

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:53 AM        Ha ha
No way,
I make homosexual references for fun, not for profit!

P.S., I'll PM you with my address
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 03:51 AM       
hey, Proto, I got a check in the mail today, it's with Dollars. are you sure you posted it to GAsux?

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:48 AM       
I like how the kid simply collapsed on the ice at his first sight of topless women. Well. From the back anyway.

And I'm not insinuating anything, but that girl on the right IS Avril Lavigne, right?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:50 AM       
It's been widely reported that the shirt was purchased at the Mall. They will have a very difficult time making the case that their private property has the right to sell items you are forbidden to wear, moreover, unless a no-slogan stute is posted somewhere or they have a past practgice of asking people to remove shirts with slogans, they're going to have a very tough row to hoe.

The police however stupid they were to become involved are in the clear, as they were merely enforcing tresspassing laws once the mall security asked them to leave.

Bottom line? It's already national news and reflects the climate we currently live in. Widely reported nonsense helps. f there is no boycott of the Malll already underway, I'm sure there will be.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:50 PM       
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...sdate=3/6/2003

Mall drops T-shirt charges

Guilderland-- Crossgates negates arrest after protesters show up to support man removed for wearing apparel with peace slogans

By ANNE MILLER, Staff writer
First published: Thursday, March 6, 2003

Crossgates Mall officials have dropped trespassing charges filed Monday against war protester Steve Downs, who wore a pro-peace T-shirt as he walked through the building that afternoon.

The decision to negate the arrest came Wednesday evening, after more than 100 anti-war protesters descended upon the mall wearing shirts similar to Downs'.

Tim Kelley, who works for the Pyramid Management Group that manages Crossgates and other malls throughout New York, said local managers had called the police.

The decision to drop the charges did not mean mall policy pertaining to inappropriate clothing had changed, he added.

"We'll have to address these things as they happen," he said.

But Downs said late Wednesday that mall officials are avoiding the central issue of free speech.

"The fact that they dropped the charges means they don't realize what the problem really is," he said.

Downs' arrest was the first of its type at the mall, although on Dec. 21 several people wearing similar attire were asked to leave the mall. Kelley added that all protesters asked to leave must have been causing a commotion. Mall officers have since asked people wearing anti-war T-shirts to exit the premises.

Shopping "is what (protesters) say they were doing, but that's not what people tell us they were doing," Kelley said.

The 100 or so protesters met at a mall entrance at noon to support Downs, who they believe was asked to leave the mall Monday afternoon because of the message on his shirt: "Peace on Earth" on one side and "Give Peace a Chance" on the other.

Wednesday's march, which lasted about two hours, was relatively peaceful, although there was a minor skirmish between a protester and someone apparently opposed to the anti-war cause. No one was arrested despite the desire expressed by many that they wanted to be handcuffed for their cause.

"This is a policy that's not enforced equally," said Erin O'Brien, an organizer with Women Against War and a leader of Wednesday's protest. Her organization sold anti-war, pro-free speech shirts to protesters for $15, "$12 if you are willing to be arrested in the shirt," according to an e-mail sent to supporters. She said she sold about 60 shirts.

About half of those at the mall were anti-war protest veterans. The rest appeared to be galvanized by what they labeled a civil rights violation.

"Whatever your belief is, you should be able to wear that," said Sharon Springs resident Leigha 24, who took the early afternoon off from her job at the Special Olympics office in Schenectady.

The protest included mothers pushing strollers, youths sporting skull and crossbones bandannas and salt-and-pepper haired teachers wearing ties.

"Many in my congregation will not approve of what I'm doing," Pastor Maggie Sebastian of Tomhannock said. She was prepared to miss Ash Wednesday services at Poestenkill Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) if she was arrested. "I have to be true to what I feel God is calling me to do."

Shortly after 12 p.m., O'Brien led the group into the mall, up the escalators and into the food court. They occupied tables for about a half an hour. They then walked past stores and wound up at mall management offices.

Jared Levin and Ronald Wilson watched some of the goings on from their BC Sports Collectibles store. They had mixed opinions on whether the protesters should be there.

"As long as they're not disrupting anything, it's OK," said Wilson, the store manager.

But added Levin: "They're disrupting people's lunch."

Henry Marks, a World War II veteran, was eating lunch at the mall with his wife. He supports President Bush's stance. His wife is against the war.

"I think they could find a better way to spend their time," he said of the protesters.

A minor disturbance broke out when one man, dressed in a vest with a large, black POW patch on the back, raced into the food court at one point, shoved a man with a no war statement handwritten on his shirt, and demanded the protesters leave.

"You freaks!" he yelled.

He was quickly ushered away by plainclothes mall security.

Downs' arrest the day before drew worldwide attention.

Guilderland Police Chief James Murley said his offices received hundreds of e-mails, from California to London, that would have made his secretaries blush. Officials were called Nazis and worse.

"We didn't go down because the guy was wearing a a T-shirt," Murley said. "We went down because we were called."

According to statements given the police, a customer complained to Macy's security that Downs and his 31-year-old son, Roger, were arguing with a group of individuals, and "was afraid of what might happen."

A mall security officer asked them to remove their shirts, the statements read. Charges were filed, which Murley said gave the police officer no choice but to arrest him. Downs denied confronting anyone.

Mall officials distributed a written statement Wednesday defending their actions. At first the officials promised that someone would address the crowd at 1:30 p.m., but after 2 p.m. they said no one would be available.

A proposal that addresses the issue of free speech in malls was filed last month in the state Assembly by Suffolk County Democrat Steve Englebright. The legislation would require privately owned complexes with at least 20 stores and 250,000 square feet of leasable space to stipulate in the building's master plan an area where citizens can congregate to express their opinions. The bill is co-sponsored in the state Senate by Carl Kruger, a fellow Democrat from Brooklyn.

Colonie Center Marketing Manager Amy Raimo said that her mall does not permit protests but would never ask someone to leave because of words on T-shirts unless they were obscene.

"We sort of have to be like Switzerland," Raimo said. "We don't allow groups to come in and hand out information on elected officials. We don't allow church groups."

Professor Lawrence Wittner, who teaches history at the University at Albany, said the differences in anti-war protests today are that people are more concerned about the prospect of mass destruction but find themselves with fewer public outlets for their opinions.

"These malls seem to be walled cities of a kind where freedom of speech and freedom of assembly is banned," Wittner said.

At Crossgates, the protest disbursed quietly around 2:10 p.m. O'Brien seemed disappointed.

"What do you have to do to get arrested around here," she asked.

She said she has been negotiating with mall officials to allow her organization to set up an information table in the mall. She expects that to happen next week. Until then, she told the remaining crowd same place, same time, same protest Sunday afternoon.
-30-
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:20 PM       
Quote:
No one was arrested despite the desire expressed by many that they wanted to be handcuffed for their cause.
"arrest me! i dare ya!"

very nice turn of events.. nice to see more people trusting thier rights. thanks for the update

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:23 PM       
What a pathetic display. This whole thing was weird and all, but jeez, everyone sure blew it out of proportions.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM       
i think this is the year for blowing things outta proportion..
the fear campaign against terrorism with the ashcroft boogey man hunt and all watch your neigbor crap kinda sets us up to freak out if we see something remotely like hitlers gestapo arresting people for thier opinions.. i know that the first time i saw that arrest in the paper i thought holy shit! i hope they ask me to take my buttons off before i get arrested! .. yea i freaked some for a few minutes hah