Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:26 PM       
So I had a job interview at the game store today! It went pretty well, the manager seemed really interested in the fact that I've done volunteer work taking apart and repairing/modifying computers, and wants to interview me again later when he starts doing repairs out of the store.

But that's not the important part. The important part is while I was waiting he encouraged me to make myself at home among the kiosks in the place, and I played Guitar Hero 3 and Halo 3, both of which were HORRENDOUS. :<

To start, GH3:
This game has some fucking problems, ok. The soundtrack is all right, but the game itself is a complete pile of shit. For one thing, the band member's character models and animations are so terrible and primitive that it is impossible to believe that this game wasn't made eight years ago for the original Playstation, left to fester, then re-released on newer systems with no visual updates whatsoever. It didn't look even half as good as the original Guitar Hero. Speaking of the PS1, by the way, Parappa the Rapper comes to mind when I play this because the game REFUSES to detect the notes I'm hitting when it's supposed to. I didn't play enough to decide if this was a shitty wireless guitar issue or if the notechart and the audio just don't synch up 100% of the time, but I had to hit frets way way early for it to register. Also, the fret signals kept gettting stuck and it wouldn't let me play any notes other than the one that jammed for periods of a few seconds, which is ridiculous for a game that requires you to be as rapid as this. I can blame that one on the wireless controller with reasonable confidence, I think.

I was planning on picking this up for my Wii when I had 80 dollars I didn't want anymore, but now I will not because this game is fucking awful.

Now then, Halo 3. I had less problems with this than GH3: the buttons are at least a little more responsive, and as always the visuals were PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY. At least, they would have been, if I could have fucking seen anything. Bungie seemed compelled to make this game a throwback to Marathon, and to that effect made the field of view ridiculously tight and horrible on the eyes. The fact that they also saw fit to put the crosshairs 3/4th of the way down the fucking screen and that the aiming mechanic is clunky as all hell probably didn't help, either. Mabye I've been spoiled by Metroid Prime 3 and all the PC shooters I've been bootlegging as of late, but Halo 3 definitely has the worst aiming I've seen from a console shooter in a long long long time. Again, the retarded placing of the crosshairs didn't make it easier. It most certainly was not as good as Bioshock, contrary to Chojin's opinion. And no, DuFresne, I am not just being a Yahtzeefag here.

So yes, pretty much any reason for me to get a 360 just went down the shitter.

But I'm totally probably going to get this job sometime in the future!
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM       
Guitar Hero 3:
Lag is caused by the HDtv being used, there are options to adjust this to better settings. The graphics are better than other Guitar Heros and that isn't really up for debate. The animations are much worse in GH3. The gameplay is the same as before, which is to say that it remains boring.

Halo 3:
The field of view is fine, and the same as Bioshock or anything else. Putting the crosshair lower prevents you from staring at the ground as much as you would otherwise and is for the most part a good design decision. Some of the guns take up a lot of visual room, but they have very few shots and do a lot of damage to compensate. The AI and gameplay of Halo 3 is better than Bioshock in so many ways that this is apparently a faith-based argument and there's no reason for me to pursue it any further!

Marathon:
Is also better than Bioshock.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM       
Quote:
Marathon:
Is also better than Bioshock.
Well, yes. I wasn't saying Bioshock was anything special, but if given the choice I would pick it over Halo 3. Coincidentally, I'd pick Halo 1 over both of them.

I noticed they had an uncentered crosshair in some Beta footage I watched, but in the finished game it is so horrible that I can't even fucking function. I don't see how this makes the game better, I hardly spend any time looking at the ground in titles with dead-center reticules either. Although Halo is loaded with faggoty short enemies so I guess it makes a little bit of sense, but I think they completely overdid it.

Also, the version I played was for whatever reason in Spanish, which made me feel stupid :<
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM       
I guess play Halo 3 at someone's house instead? The game plays just fine for me and everyone else.

I didn't even notice that the crosshair wasn't vertically-centered the first couple times I played it.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM       
I didn't notice and I still kick ass. Maybe it's because I play it on a standard definition television.
Forum Virgin
HungryWantBiddy is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM       
You know, GH, there is an auto-center option. Haven't used it, haven't needed to. Sounds like it may fix what you don't like though.

Also, who wants to run some rocket race tonight? GT: HungryWantBiddy Add me!
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM       
I like the Elephant
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM       
Got to see a 360 die today!

We were over at a family function of Emily's and their kid had a Wii and a 360. He was playing COD4 and weird artifacts would show up after he played for a while. After more people showed up, we opened the floor to strikers charged, smash bros, and wii sports, but when he went to play madden on the 360 it red ring'd him.

This kid was about 15, so he ran and got dad and mom, I guess so they could make it all better. He'd bought the 360 with his own money and looked like he was about to cry.

I think Microsoft does this on purpose.
gynecomastia
Moobs is probably a spambot
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM       
When my 360 died i put in my bed to cool it down and treated it like a living sick person

That kid will be bored for a couple of months
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM       
No, he has galaxy and is gonna get strikers. And Smash Bros in a month or so.
gynecomastia
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM       
i played galaxy on my friends wii and i expected a lot more. The graphics are great and the controls are fine but overall it just seems a bit tedious and boring :/

I have Strikers and it kinda sucks as well. Smash Bros is actually the main reason i have a wii
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM       
YOU ARE WRONG AND HAVE NOT PLAYED GALAXY ENOUGH
gynecomastia
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM       
You're probably right. I actually only played one level and it was the Bowser boss level, and i got to this bit where there are portals which eat you and things

Yeah i kinda suck at games
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM       
Which is also probably why you dislike strikers
gynecomastia
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:38 PM       
No i don't like Strikers because i have one nunchuck and therefore cannot play anybody who is real unless i get my wii online
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM       
a second nunchuk is a big investment at $20 are you sure you can make the plunge
gynecomastia
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM       
yeah i don't actually have a job and santa failed me so i'm gonna have to wait a while. In the mean time i'll be playing my less interactive xbox games
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM       
Oh I forgot to mention that the best part of that story about the kid's xbox dying is that when his mom came downstairs to look, she said "Oh, did it give you those red rings?"
was never good
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM       
http://kotaku.com/338667/mario-mod-u...u-make-you-cry

This made me lol :<

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=39rntdqn
Download it here :o

Last edited by Chojin : Dec 29th, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM       
Who plays Guitar Hero for the graphics? You can't even really watch them while you're playing anyway. I find them to be appropriate for the game since I tend to feel that low-grade graphics lend themselves well to rhythm games (see PaRappa.)

I might be a little more forgiving of GH3 since it's the first GH I've played, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM       
Honestly though, GH3 is pretty god damn ugly looking. Especially compared to 2, which I thought looked really good.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM       
I had my 360 on for like 12 hours yesterday and it didn't even get a little warm :O. Also, I got mario galaxy for christmas but I haven't even started it because I'm having too much fun with mass effect and assassin's creed.

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM       
I played Guitar Hero 3 last night. I'm going to have to go "Fun, but forgettable" on this one. The mechanics are fun and really get me into it, but I only like about five songs from the entire playlist and the list is really underwhelming. On the plus side, I'm ambidextrous with a guitar, apparantly.

By the way, Mass Effect is the shit. I'm jones-ing.
Let's play Hardball!
Seven Force is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM       
Why not just get a real guitar and play anyway?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM       
My point, I was just playing it because my friend borrowed Guitar Hero and the guitar and a 360 to play it on, BUT NO CONTROLLER. So no Perfect Dark that night.