Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM        Zach Zeeks' Guide To Video Game .mp3's!
Hello! Welcome!

Before we even start, you need these things--

WinAMP-- the best music management software, hands-down.
Music-- from Zophar, my favorite music library, pick up all the games that you want to make .mp3's with, and put all the files that are in the .zip in their own little folder. For NES soundtracks, there will only be one file. For SNES/Genesis/Whatever, there will be several.

IF YOU PLAN TO GET NES SOUNDTRACKS, YOU SHOULD ALSO GET Goldwave. YOU'LL SEE WHY LATER.

- Next thing, go into your WinAMP preferences, and check out the WinAMP plug-ins. Look under the "Output" tab. There should be one called Nullsoft Disk Writer. You can use that, or use my preferred one--found here. It's made by a Chinaman and is made specifically FOR .mp3's instead of a variety of filetypes. Pick that, and configure it how you want. DO NOT PLAY ANY MUSIC FILES, as it'll make a duplicate .mp3

- Get yerself some other plug-ins from the site, according to what type of .mp3 you wanna make. I've taken the responsibility of ranglin' these up for you, because I know you're on the internet and busy and have a lot to do. These are my favorites for each extension, so if they don't work for you, try another. Refer to the colored guides for all the diff'rent types.

For NES - Not So, Fatso!

NES sound files are different in that, they all come in one single file, rather than different assorted songs. We can fix that, though. Choose the output file from before, either the Nullsoft or the .mp3 writer, and play the .NSF. No sound will come out, but a file will be made in the directory you specified inside the plug-in. It'll be an .mp3, and will actually be every song on the .NSF, according to how long you wanted the song to be. The default is 2 minutes each, with a 2 second fade-out. Once you have the complete file, you'll need to cut and edit and snip then into the individual files using Goldwave. Open up the file, crop out the song you want, save it as the name you wanna give it, and go back to the original file with all the songs on it. Do that about 50 more times, and you're done. Yeah, it's a lot of work, but it's the best way I know about.

For SNES - SNESAmp

For these type 'a files, it's much easier. If you look at it, each song has it's very own file. After you've configured the length and time with SNESAmp, play a file. Again, it'll make an .mp3 in the directory you've specified. By default, the song will play for 2:50, with a 10 second fadeout. This can be changed by configuring the plug-in.

For Genesis - YMAMP

Same with the SNES files, Genesis soundtracks have each song coded in so that they're in seperate files. While you can't really alter how long the song is to be played for, many Genesis songs have a definite end to them, so that it'll decide it's own ending. Play it, and it'll create an .mp3 in the directory you selected on the .mp3 Output plug-in. Just as some Sonic The Hedgehog songs are set very short, Streets Of Rage songs are very long--some even set to five minutes. You can alter this in GoldWave later, if you wish.

And, uh, I guess that's about it. I'm not really good at this kind of stuff, and I've probably missed a few things.

If you need any help, IM me at Fuzz Bombshell. Feel free to ask, no matter who you are. Even if I hate you, I'll probably still help out the best I can.

Peace and grease, y'all. ;*
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM       
THIS ONE IS BROKEN GO TO THE OTHER ONE IT'S FIXED.

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM       
Oh, damn. I forgot to fix another of the links.

Oh well, people should know what to do anyway