Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 05:09 AM        ScareLA 2013: The First Los Angeles Halloween Convention!
Automatically generated comment thread for ScareLA 2013: The First Los Angeles Halloween Convention!.
Forum Virgin
sewnupsmile is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 12:33 PM       
Cool convention, the look on the zombies face from the "Friends 4evar." photo is priceless...
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM       
The Pics are awesome, but they should rename the event to "Consumer Rip-Off LA." First off, a 25 dollar admission fee to an event where they mainly only try to sell you stuff? Ridiculous!

It's pretty bad when I can take your photos as a reference and look up some of these props on the net to find that most of them had at least a 200% markup.
Recovering Lycanthrope
JohnnyQuest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:29 AM       
Sadly, the merch prices do seem high, although $25 admission isn't too bad - "an event where they mainly try to sell you stuff" describes just about every con I've been to!

RoG, you said that the cheapest tickets were $25 - what were the more expensive ones, and what did you get? Were all those workshops for tombstones and candles an upcharge?

Great post!
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 01:10 AM       
HowardC - On one hand, I see where you're coming from and agree, because some sellers really do charge far too much. At the same time, I know first hand just how expensive exhibiting at a convention can be for sellers. Purchasing booth space, paying for your merch supplies, getting a seller's permit and paying taxes on any sales, etc. I think it really just comes down to finding a happy medium. And yeah, as Johnny said, all conventions pretty much exist to sell you stuff heheh. What's nice about them is that they introduce you to cool things you never knew existed in the first place.

JohnnyQuest - I'm not sure what the various ticket prices were. I don't recall having to pay to do the workshops, but that's only because we didn't do them. You had to sign up in advance as each workshop filled up with participants quickly. We were also on a schedule that day and couldn't stick around for the later workshops.
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 02:24 AM       
Well if it was one or the other I could see it, but not both. I've been to conventions with a rather high gate price, but there were tons of free samples, admission-free panels to sit in on ect... There were certainly tons of things to buy, but that wasn't the main draw.

I'm under the opinion that if it costs so much to host a booth at a con that you have to charge more for your product than you normally would it's probably best not to have a booth. If I can go to Spirit and buy your prop for 79.99 it shouldn't be 199.99 just because you are at a con and it cost you to host a booth there. That's just the cost of doing business.