Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:08 PM        Ann Coulter Lies
Ann Coulter Goes To The Movies

by David Corn

Don't read this if you like Ann Coulter.

Don't read this if you want to believe Ann Coulter gets her facts straight.

The other night I was enlisted to appear on MSNBC's Hardball to discuss the controversy over the CBS miniseries on Ronald and Nancy Reagan. On the other side was Coulter, the over-the-top-and-over-the-edge conservative author whose latest book literally brands all liberals as treasonous. Conservatives and Republicans have howled that the Reagan movie was a travesty, complaining it portrays Reagan as out of it in the White House and callous toward AIDS victims. On air, I noted that since the movie, as far as I could tell, does not detail how Reagan had cozied up to the apartheid regime of South Africa, the murderous dictator of Chile, and the death-squad-enabling government of El Salvador, it indeed has a problem with accuracy. But the miniseries' true sin seems to be its schlockiness. The available clips make it look like Dynasty meets Mommie Dearest set in the White House.

Coulter started more restrained than usual, though she predictably bashed Hollywood liberals for trying to undermine the historical standing of a president they despised by resorting to trashy revisionism. Perhaps she even had a point. Who could tell what the producers were aiming at? But then she jumped the tracks. She claimed that the movie Patton was made by Holly-libs with "hatred in their hearts" for George S. Patton, the brilliant but erratic World War II general. These filmmakers "intended to make Patton look terrible," she maintained, but because they produced an accurate work, the movie ended up making "Patton look great and people loved him."

Was Patton a left-wing Hollywood conspiracy that backfired? Host Chris Matthews immediately challenged her in his subtle fashion: "You are dead wrong." He pushed her for proof, and she replied, "That is why George C. Scott turned down his Academy Award for playing Patton." Coulter was suggesting that Scott had spurned his Oscar because the filmmakers plan to destroy Patton's image by portraying the general "as negatively as possible" had gone awry.

Matthews wasn't buying. "Who told you that, who told you that?" he shouted. Her Oracle-like response: "It is well known." She added, "Why did you think he turned down the award, Chris? You never looked that up? It never occurred to you?"

Matthews retorted, "Because he said he wasn't going to a meat parade, because he didn't believe in award ceremonies." And Matthews was right. Following the show, I took Coulter's advice and did look it up. I found a 1999 obituary of Scott that noted he had stunned Hollywood in 1971 for being the first person ever to refuse an Academy Award. He had explained his action by slamming such awards as "demeaning" and he had dismissed the Oscar ceremony as a "two-hour meat parade." (Matthews receives extra points for getting this quote correct.) Coulter had twisted this well-documented episode into yet more proof that liberals--especially those in Hollywood--are conspiratorial traitors.

After I described this exchange to someone who once worked with her, he said, "That's Ann. She lives in her own world and she just makes things up." This interlude concerned a small matter. (Who knew we would be debating one of my favorite movies?) But this minor dustup provided evidence to support a serious charge. As Matthews remarked while wrapping up the segment, "Facts mean nothing to you, Ann." If so, why continue to have her on?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
Hell, www.Anticoulter.com has an entire website devoted to debunking that crazy bitch.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:27 PM       
I think she's really funny. I also think the only reason even conservatives put up with her is they think she's good looking. If she wrote like she writes but looked like Andrea Dworkin, I'm guessing she wouldn't have much of a career right now.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM       
Good lord. To be honest, I had no idea what the woman looked like up to this point. From what I had read previously about her, I expected an 80-year old, Dr. Laura-esque cryptkeeper to be spewing the kind of over-the-top venom that she does, but instead, she looks a little bit like my mom, ten years ago. Believe me, that is a distrubing revelation to have on this warm November afternoon.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:10 PM       
Who was the great Prime Minister who implemented neo-liberal policies in Britain? I thought that's who Coulter was.

Moore is worse.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM       
The baseless pontification that is her writing is laughable. I can't believe she actually finished law school, and worked as a U.S. Attorney. Heck, I'm surprised she got into law school.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Moore is worse.
No way. Coulter is ten times worse than Moore. Moore may be an ass, but Coulter is fucking insane.

Some of her finer remarks:
source: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...terwisdom.html

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours.'"---Hannity & Colmes, 6/20/01

The "backbone of the Democratic Party" is a "typical fat, implacable welfare recipient"---syndicated column 10/29/99

To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."---MSNBC

"Women like Pamela Harriman and Patricia Duff are basically Anna Nicole Smith from the waist down. Let's just call it for what it is. They're whores."---Salon.com 11/16/00

Juan Gonzales is "Cuba's answer to Joey Buttafuoco," a "miscreant," "sperm-donor," and a "poor man's Hugh Hefner."---Rivera Live 5/1/00

"I think [women] should be armed but should not [be allowed to] vote."---Politically Incorrect, 2/26/01

"If you don't hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don't love your country."---George, 7/99

"I think we had enough laws about the turn-of-the-century. We don't need any more." Asked how far back would she go to repeal laws, she replied, "Well, before the New Deal...[The Emancipation Proclamation] would be a good start."---Politically Incorrect 5/7/97

"If they have the one innocent person who has ever to be put to death this century out of over 7,000, you probably will get a good movie deal out of it."---MSNBC 7/27/97

"Anorexics never have boyfriends. ... That's one way to know you don't have anorexia, if you have a boyfriend."---Politically Incorrect 7/21/97

On Rep. Christopher Shays (d-CT) in deciding whether to run against him as a Libertarian candidate: "I really want to hurt him. I want him to feel pain."---Hartford Courant 6/25/99

"The swing voters---I like to refer to them as the idiot voters because they don't have set philosophical principles. You're either a liberal or you're a conservative if you have an IQ above a toaster. "---Beyond the News, Fox News Channel, 6/4/00

"My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism."---MSNBC 2/8/97
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:29 PM       
How is this chick any different from the crackpots who count 'The Turner Diaries' as one of their favourite books?
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:52 PM       
One single way. She is marginally attractive. Even with all the weight he lost on the Oxycontin diet, Rush Limbaugh is nothing to look at. People like him can fanatsize that becuase they share Coulter rabid political lunacy, she might give them a little underwater handjob action.

Seriously, she's nothing but a nasty nutcase, and in my opinion she's chemically unbalanced. She's so far right of right it's... well, idiotic.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."---MSNBC
That one was my favorite. After I read it, I really started to wonder if this woman is for real.

On a side note, I would like to see an Ann Coulter movie to go along side Moore's. I'll bet it would be simultaneously the funniest and scariest movie of the decade.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:51 PM       
I love that these are just quotes put up and not checked if they are out of context. Par for the course for liberals, I guess.

But have you read Korn's book about bush? All he does is take things he said in 2000 and compares them to 2003 like nothing, say a terrorist attack, never happened. Did he expand the goverment? yes, he did. But most of the stuff Korn whines about makes him about as much of a flavor of the week as Ecto-orange Kool Aid was.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
I love that these are just quotes put up and not checked if they are out of context.
You must love it, since you do it all the time.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:43 PM       
Quote:
I love that these are just quotes put up and not checked if they are out of context.
How could they possibly be any less vicious even when taken in context?
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:57 PM       
Quote:
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.
Tell me how this quote is taken out of context. There's no spin you can put on it. It's bizarre and idiotic in any context.

No wonder she sees no meaningful way to debate with liberals. No intelligent person could meaningfully debate such a reckless moron.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:00 AM       
Comparing Coulter and Moore is like comparing Hitler and Pol Pot. I mean, it could be dabted either way. . .But why?!?!

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Tom
Quote:
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.
Tell me how this quote is taken out of context. There's no spin you can put on it. It's bizarre and idiotic in any context.

No wonder she sees no meaningful way to debate with liberals. No intelligent person could meaningfully debate such a reckless moron.

I have no problem with what she said whatsoever. If countries support and harbor terrorists or commit terrorist acts themselves, I think that would be a great course of action. She is right. We are fighting a war, and we need to treat it as such.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:15 AM       
You're a miserable excuse for a human being. You do know that, right?

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:16 AM       
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should want to fight a war like our Muslim terrorist friends do, huh? We all know how they respect the "rules of engagement."
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:03 AM       
Quote:
I have no problem with what she said whatsoever. If countries support and harbor terrorists or commit terrorist acts themselves, I think that would be a great course of action. She is right. We are fighting a war, and we need to treat it as such.
How would you define who are terrorists and what are terrorist acts? I would like to know what your criteria are for determining when to apply these labels, and, thus, deciding which countries need to be invaded. I mean this as a serious question.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:09 AM       
Please, BT. Don't ask the poor guy to type and think at the same time. We don't want a fainting/hive episode on our conscience.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:38 PM       
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should want to fight a war like our Muslim terrorist friends do, huh? We all know how they respect the "rules of engagement."
You fucking idiot, FIGHTING A WAR was what you JUST PROPOSED. Or is "invading another country and killing their leaders" an act of diplomatic good will in the Big Book of Crazy that you've been taking your pages from?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:46 PM       
Uh, Poto, Saddam declared war when he flew a few planes into the World Trade Centre. Or did you forget that hmm? The Muslim threw out the rules of engagement THAT day.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:52 PM       
That reminds me, someone should make a character named Bizarro Vince, and everything he says should make sense and be perfectly reasonable and eloquent.

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 01:52 PM       
Coulter makes me laugh, as does moore, i don't see either as accurately representing theri supposed political affliations. Only moore actually is funny sometimes, she is just KAHRAZEE!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM       
Huh. Vinth, you Read David Korn's book? What did you think of it? You know, 'cause if you just read about it, like reviews or scathing attacks, it's possible that some of the quotes might have been taken out of context.

Hell, you read it. Guy like you? Of course you did.