Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM        Bush warns of another upsurge of Violence in Iraq
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush on Wednesday warned there will be an upsurge in violence in Iraq before next month's voting, but said the terrorists will fail. "Our troops are ready," he said.

So, W warned of upsurges in violence before the hand over of sovereignity, before the elections, before the presentation of the constitution, and now before elections. He's been right every time, which is no surprise. But the violence doesn't ebb between these events. So really the prediction is that violence will grow steadily worse in Iraq.

Would anyone inthe administration care to make a prediction about when violence in Iraq might lessen? 'Cause if nobody thinks it will, then what are we achieving here?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM       
I think his overall point is that the "insurgents" will do whatever is necessary to be active at crucial points for Iraq, because they want it to fail.

I'm certain that these brave, brave men will make their point by machine gunning some women and children, or perhaps blowing up some cars. Who knows, those minute men are so unpredictable.

Does an upsurge in violence mean that we should capitulate to people who kill civilians, or does it mean we hunt them down and stop them?

Is war supposed to be easy?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM       
Yes, war is easy for politicians.....and their families.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM       
Kev, no. You are responding to a point that isn't mine at all, and I think you know it.

MY point is that the war so far, this stage of it, if you want to put it in terms favorable to 'staying the course' is ALL upsurge.

The administration keep making excuses for upsurge. Oh, well, of course it's getting worse now, we're handing over sovereighnity. Of course it's getting worse now, we're having elections. The fact that it's getting worse isn't a sign we're doing badly, it's a sign we're doing all the right stuff. The more right stuff we do, the worse things will get, that's how you know we're winning is how much worse things are getting. In fact, the only way we'll know we've won is hen the insurgents drive us out of the country.

The main reason for the upsurge in violence is it's way easier to wage an insurgency than fight one. The steady increase in violence isn't due to our progress, it's because our enemy is getting better at what they do and we haven't got any more of a clue what to do about it then we did the day after we got there when we weren't even palnning for it.

"Stay the course" is a bad strategy when you're loosing.