Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:50 AM        My nephew got his first guitar!
About five months ago, I let my brother borrow one of my guitars so he could try it out before buying one for himself. We'll he got hooked and bought one. He went to the music shop to buy some strings and he took his son, Tyler, with him. He saw a Mini-Stratocaster and had to have it. My brother jumped at the chance and got it for him. He's only ten.
I wish I had started at ten instead of eighteen (and that was fourteen years ago, Damn!).
There may already be a similar thread buried in the archives, but I was wondering what other people's first instrument was and when they got it (or any other memorable moment of the day).
I got a my Peavey Foundation bass for X-mas of '88.
I sold it to upgrade to an Ibanez Soundgear
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:25 PM       
Well this question could go one of two ways.

If you're referring to the first instrument I ever got my hands on and learned how to play reasonably well, I say piano, because my parents had/have one.

If you're talking about the first instrument I owned myself, it's a bass. My parents bought me a bass for my birthday way back in 1994. A couple of years after that I had enough to order my guitar from Musician's Friend, so I have a REALLY old bass and a relatively old guitar. Both still work fine, and I am getting to be good at both despite having to teach myself almost everything

Generator86 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM       
The first instrument I got was a Series 10 mini bass, because, well, I was a really short kid. I think it was probably made of balsa wood or something, because it only weighed about 5 pounds. I got it used for about $125 that I'd saved from my paper route. Even though I'd bought about three more basses afterwards, I always held onto it, but then my friend's landlord got drunk and burned down the house, where I had it stored for the rare instances when inspiration would strike and I'd just need to play something. Still kinda miss it sometimes.

Quote:
you type well for being drunk...
Blackjack is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:27 PM       
A recorder, aged 7! Mwahahaha!!!!!

Then I learned a few tunes on piano, hit out some beats on a drumkit but my first proper, proper instrument would be my guitar. Motherfucker.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM       
i got a sax for band in fourth grade, despite my teachers' and friends' insistence that saxophones were "boy" instruments. (wtf? it was a long time ago. )
and i got this cheap acoustic guitar around the same time. my mom drove me to guitar lessons with this lady who made us learn country songs: "oh lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way..."
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 08:34 PM       
I got my first classical guitar at age 6. Been playing ever since. That's 13 years now, but I'm nowhere near as good as a person playing 13 years WITH a talent for it would be.