Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:32 AM        W flip flops on Positionofications
A look at Bush's reversals

(AP) -- President Bush's decision Tuesday to allow his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, to testify publicly before the commission investigating the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks reversed earlier White House insistence that she would only appear privately.

Some previous Bush reversals in the face of criticism:

# He argued a federal Department of Homeland Security wasn't needed, then devised a plan to create one.

# He resisted a commission to investigate Iraq intelligence failures, but then relented.

# He also initially opposed the creation of the independent commission to examine if the 2001 attacks could have been prevented, before getting behind the idea under pressure from victims' families.

# He opposed, and then supported, a two-month extension of the commission's work, after the panel said protracted disputes over access to White House documents left too little time.

# He at first said any access to the president by the commission would be limited to just one hour but relaxed the limit earlier this month.

And THAT's just on 9/11 stuff. Check past and present positions on Gay marriage, CO2 emissions, enagement with Korea, Price of health care reform, etc. etc. etc.,