Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:57 PM        wow, just wow
'Nobody's fault'

Dad says driver 'did nothing wrong ... I feel terrible for her'

By RICHARD WEIR and BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Hallie Geier in 2003
Part of a poem Hallie wrote when she was in kindergarten.
In a remarkable act of kindness that surely would have made his daughter smile, Ted Geier yesterday consoled the driver who accidentally struck and killed his little girl.

The Queens father set aside his own grief to heed the wishes Hallie expressed in a poem she wrote when she was just 5: "People, be nice to each other."

"It's a tragedy. It's nobody's fault," the father told the 34-year-old woman who was driving the Ford Explorer that hit the spunky 11-year-old as she walked her puppy Saturday in front of her Sunnyside Gardens home. "I told her what Hallie would have wanted for her: to wake up in the morning and not think of this, and to bring joy into her life."

Geier, 44, spent yesterday morning making his daughter's funeral arrangements, but the pain in his heart only drove him to ease the pain of a stranger.

"She's a beautiful person. She's a good soul," he said of the woman who hit Hallie when the girl stepped between two parked cars on 46th St. and into the path of the vehicle.

"She did nothing wrong," Geier said of the driver, who lives in his neighborhood. "I knew she was in pain. I feel terrible for her."

The woman behind the wheel told the Daily News that the magnanimous gesture from the grieving father helped ease her torment.

"He's a good man and he has a very good heart," said the tearful woman, who asked that her name be withheld.

Geier told the woman about Hallie, a sixth-grader at the Clinton School for Writers and Artists in Manhattan who raised money for children afflicted with AIDS in Africa.

He told her of the auburn-haired angel who loved animals so much she became a vegetarian, who penned poetry about stray cats, ice cream and her aunt's "perfect mash potatoes."

"She was a great kid with a big heart," said the woman, breaking into sobs.

But no matter how forgiving the father, she said she will never be able to shake the wrenching memory of Hallie's death.

"I wake up every morning and I go to bed every night thinking about this," she said. "I can't imagine not thinking about this for the rest of my life."

She said she spent Saturday morning packing to move to Long Island, where she planned to start a new job and a new life. She had borrowed her father's SUV to move her things.

"I was just moving the car around the block, that's it," said the woman, who immediately stopped after the accident and rushed to Hallie's side.

"I was sitting there holding her hand," the woman recalled. "She kept trying to get up. I told her to lay still."

Even then, she said, Hallie's father showed her compassion.

"I was shaking like a leaf," she said. "I was crying hysterically. I was in shock, and he was concerned about my welfare."

Ted Geier spent part of yesterday watching a videotape of Hallie's performance last week as Sally in a production of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" at the Main Street Theatre on Roosevelt Island.

He later walked into her bedroom, found a book of poems she wrote and began to read one: "I sit in the old maple," Hallie wrote. "Through its wide swaying branches, I see the blue sky. A rainbow arcs across it. A bird sings. I am at home."

The father explained that the maple tree was the one Hallie had climbed in the backyard of her grandparents' house just hours before she died.

"She will inspire," said Ted Geier, who, with his wife and two older children, plans to start the Hallie Geier Fund to raise money for all the charities his daughter eagerly supported.

At Hallie's school yesterday, a large sky-blue bulletin board in the main hall was filled with notes to her.

"You taught me lessons and just how to be a better person," wrote a classmate named Perrie.

"You were the sweetest of them all," wrote a pal named Jamie.

"I hope you will keep your quirky smile," wrote a friend named Sophia.

"She was really a genuine kid," said principal Joseph Cassidy. "There was no pretense about her. Every kid is special, but she had lots of special qualities."

A funeral service for Hallie will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at the Chapel of the Good Shepherd Church, 543 Main St., Roosevelt Island.

With Nancy Dillon and Kathleen Lucadamo

Originally published on May 18, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------

He forgave her. He had every right to hate her and wish her to burn in hell, but he consoled her. I really can't find the words to describe what I felt when I saw this on the front page this morning.

He lost his daughter, and he has no malice in him what-so-ever.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:05 PM       
Why should he? Unless she was driving dangerously, like speeding or while drunk, it's the kid's fault for stepping in front of the vehicle.
Mocker
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM       
In the eyes of the law, the driver is 100% responsible for controling the vehicle.

And besides, if your 11-year-old daughter was killed, you wouldn't be Mr. Rationality.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM       
She sounded like an awesome kid
Resident Chimp
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
In the eyes of the law, the driver is 100% responsible for controling the vehicle.

And besides, if your 11-year-old daughter was killed, you wouldn't be Mr. Rationality.
NOT if it's an accident, which, going by the article, this clearly was. If you want to commit suicide, and jump in front of my car, it's not my fault for killing you. If I run you over as you're using the crosswalk because I'm not paying attention, then that's my fault. See the difference?

I would ground my 11-year-old daughter for getting killed by a car. I would send her remains to her room for a week.
Mocker
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
NOT if it's an accident, which, going by the article, this clearly was. If you want to commit suicide, and jump in front of my car, it's not my fault for killing you. If I run you over as you're using the crosswalk because I'm not paying attention, then that's my fault. See the difference?
The law doesn't. You are 100% responsible for what happens whiule you drive. Whether or not you think its fair is irrelevant. You accept that responsibility when you get behind the wheel.
Resident Chimp
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:41 PM       
Show me a recent court case where the driver gets any jail time for someone running out in front of their vehicle and it can be deemed an accident.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM       
You're missing the point, Chimp. Just shut up and enjoy the rare article that shows the world hasn't gone completely to hell.
Mocker
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM       
I'll show you the ticket I got when some stupid brat let their dog run out into a main street and in front of my van. And my insurance company had to pay.

I know it sounds stupid, but its just the way it is.
Resident Chimp
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM       
Animals are the double standard in today's laws. If you break into a house, you will get a stiffer sentence for kicking the family dog than you will for stealing their TV.

What this article is talking isn't a completely out of the ordinary occurrence for this kind of situation. It's only being reported on in this fashion because it was a kid who volunteered a lot that got squashed rather than "less wonderful" person. The media always focuses on the bad stories where the family is out for blood because negativity sells.

100% responsibility does not translate into 100% fault for shit happening. If you rear-end me, it's 100% your fault, even though I'm 100% responsible for making sure that it doesn't happen to me. If it's a legitimate accident where no one is to blame, the most you have to do is pay the token fine, because it's the "law."
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
You're missing the point, Chimp. Just shut up and enjoy the rare article that shows the world hasn't gone completely to hell.
"COMING SOON TO THE DAILY BULL: WHY SNOT-NOSED BRATS WHO RUN OUT IN FRONT OF CARS DESERVE TO GET RUN OVER! HOO-HAH!"
Resident Chimp
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:00 AM       
Damn straight. Same with all those kids who put their hands in blenders.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:08 AM       
Who's to blame in Canada if someone runs in front your moose and get get trampled by it, you, the kid, or the moose's, AChimp?

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM       
I sure as hell wouldn't be to blame if I (pretended to, after all this is the internet ) murdered you, GADZOOKS. I'd probably get a medal or something
Resident Chimp
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:24 AM       
UH OH. CHIMP IS THE BAD GUY FOR DISAGREEING THAT THE ARTICLE IS A TEAR-JERKER. HE HASN'T SHOWN ENOUGH SYMPATHY FOR DEAD KIDS AND ISN'T SURPRISED BY THE FATHER'S REACTION.

NOW HE WILL BE RUN OVER BY BAD JOKES. HE BETTER ESCAPE TO HIS IGLOO BY USING THE BACK-UP TRACTOR THAT EVERY CANADIAN HAS FOR WHEN A MOOSE IS NOT FAST ENOUGH.

dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:24 AM       
Your astounding ego aside, helm, since you can kill a moose and not a car, would that be a fair punishment in the Canadian Law System.

I bet the moose has both financial and emotional ties withit's owner.

And no mr. chimp, I was making a bad joke because of your bad jokes about the girl, it was an honest puzzelment of mine. The girl/car story is nothing i haven't heard of before.

Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp

I would ground my 11-year-old daughter for getting killed by a car. I would send her remains to her room for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.