Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM        League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
I was originally going to rant about horrible this graphic novel was, but at the end I figured
none of you would want to read three paragraphs of what exactly is wrong with this new
installment of the LXG series. I've decided to just sum it all up.

1. A clusterfuck of characters from the early 1900's comics, novels, and television trying to
piece together a decent story.

2. Over 50% of the novel is boring back story to characters from novels who are equally boring.
Normally this would be fine, but it's presented through case files, and not actually comic pages.

3. The main characters have somehow become ugly shells of their former selves, without any
explanation.

4. This graphic novel just seems like an excuse for Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill to include as
many sex scenes as they possibly could, honestly every two pages includes tits and ass.

5. The conclusion of the story is presented in 3D, and ends in a speech about the human
imagination. One of the most unpleasant endings to a story I have ever had the misfortune
to read. It not only rapes your brain, but also makes your eyes bleed.

In conclusion, I hate this book, and do not look forward to third volume
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which is coming out later this year.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM       
Now I'm intrested in reading it.
pickled
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Now I'm intrested in reading it.
Which part, the clusterfuck of characters or the T&A?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM       
Both, plus the horrible ending in 3d.
It's actually not all that often that a real train wreck happens. Yeah there are shitty comics, but when something with potential turns into such a mess... you'll wish you had an unopened copy.
pickled
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM       
Quote:
Both, plus the horrible ending in 3d.
It's actually not all that often that a real train wreck happens. Yeah there are shitty comics, but when something with potential turns into such a mess... you'll wish you had an unopened copy.
I'm quite sure when Alan Moore takes the third volume into the year 2008, it will be quite a large train wreck.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM       
How was the first volume btw? Was it just kind of blah with hopes that the next one would be better?
pickled
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM       
Quote:
How was the first volume btw? Was it just kind of blah with hopes that the next one would be better?
The first two volumes were great. All the characters and cameos coming straight out of the pages of various Victorian era novel characters. If you're not a big fan of that sort of things, the actually story is good as well. The beginning tells of the group being formed. The rest of the first volume, as well as volume two is about their extraordinary adventures.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The first two volumes were great. All the characters and cameos coming straight out of the pages of various Victorian era novel characters. If you're not a big fan of that sort of things, the actually story is good as well. The beginning tells of the group being formed. The rest of the first volume, as well as volume two is about their extraordinary adventures.
Not all of it was Victorian: the beginning of the second book has a few characters from early twentieth century works that I won't say here. They're from the pulp genre, however, but still twentieth century.

That said, I should pick this up to see just what it's about. I dig the whole idea of intertextuality and the fantastic and think Moore could hold his weight with these. Granted, I don't see how he could do a 21st Century one of these but hope springs eternal....that, and seeing the lead characters of American Psycho and Prozac Nation leading a League of their own just makes me laugh.

Last edited by Zbu Manowar : Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
pickled
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:55 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbu Manowar View Post
Not all of it was Victorian: the beginning of the second book has a few characters from early twentieth century works that I won't say here. They're from the pulp genre, however, but still twentieth century.

That said, I should pick this up to see just what it's about. I dig the whole idea of intertextuality and the fantastic and think Moore could hold his weight with these. Granted, I don't see how he could do a 21st Century one of these but hope springs eternal....that, and seeing the lead characters of American Psycho and Prozac Nation leading a League of their own just makes me laugh.
From what I can tell Alan Moore has already screwed this series over.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM       
I was just kidding about the 21st Century part. That I made up. But still, including old American Pulp characters isn't a deal breaker. It's cool to see Gulliver of Mars and John Carter meeting up. Just needs more Tars Tarkas to really kick ass.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM       
I'm disappointed to hear this. I picked it up back when it came out but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet (you should see my stack of unread comics, it's fucking ridiculous), but I flipped through it, and I do like the design of the book. I like all the different styles and the bizarre short pages and everything.

I guess I should have expected it to not be a proper story because of the "dossier" bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself, but this doesn't give me much hope.
pickled
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 02:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
I'm disappointed to hear this. I picked it up back when it came out but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet (you should see my stack of unread comics, it's fucking ridiculous), but I flipped through it, and I do like the design of the book. I like all the different styles and the bizarre short pages and everything.

I guess I should have expected it to not be a proper story because of the "dossier" bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself, but this doesn't give me much hope.
I thought it was going to be interesting to read the back story, unfortunately it teaches you nothing you didn't already know. It's depressing to see that the entire LXG universe revolves on sex.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM       
At least that part of it is realisitc!
He speaks truth!
pickled
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Hippo View Post
At least that part of it is realisitc!
There's nothing like reading about Fairy sex.
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Kybo Ren is probably a spambot
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM       
Once you've been around for awhile, there's nothing but fucking and fighting. The black dossier was the best book i've read so far this year (second: dead names, simon). Any league fans should watch sherlock holmes: the golden years. besides Mycroft, Aj Raffles shows up.