Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM        Weekly Music Review: Weezer (Red Album)
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Music Review: Weezer (Red Album).
なにをみてんだよ
BakaGaijin is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM       
The Onion reviewer hated this one:

"The breathtakingly stupid Weezer begs the question: Is this for real? Or are the over-processed hooks and lobotomized lyrics intentional self-parody? When Rivers Cuomo sings, "So turn off the TV, 'cause that's what others see, and movies are as bad as eating chocolate ice cream," is he a comic genius feigning creative bankruptcy? (C'mon, look at the crrrazy album cover!) Either way, it doesn't matter. If the so-called "Red Album" really is an elaborate goof on an all-too-forgiving fan base, that doesn't make Weezer's newest worst album any less insipid.

Peaking early on Weezer's untouchable first two records, Cuomo now seems unable (or unwilling) to write a single heartfelt song. Instead, he substitutes smarm for sentiment on embarrassing dreck like "Heart Songs," paying tribute to everyone from Nirvana to Debbie Gibson (while mistakenly referencing a Tiffany song) with an air of insufferable, ain't-I-a-stinker smirkiness better suited for the likes of Bowling For Soup. Even after the apparent bottoming-out of 2005's Make Believe, Weezer is a dispiritingly awful record. The contrast between pap like "Pork And Beans" and "Everybody Get Dangerous" and the hilariously twisted, emotionally pent-up songs the band was once known for has never been starker. The blame for Weezer can't all be laid on Cuomo—his bandmates' songwriting contributions (particularly Brian Bell's Uncle Kracker stab "Thought I Knew") are just as unforgivably soulless. Together they punch holes in Weezer where the heart and brain should be."
AV CLUB RATING: D"
¿
wobzire is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM       
Did you also post this review on the Onion?
Awesomephile
Qyzex is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM       
I've been a Weezer fan for quite some time. So when a new album comes out, whether or not it's better or worse than the last album, or whatever, I still end up loving it. This one is no different. Some songs are a bit 'meh' and others are overly complicated for a Weezer song to be, but all in all, It's not as bad as some of the reviews I've read have said it is. Your review is pretty spot on.

"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" was instantly my favorite track, (that is, after I got past the first vocal part, to which I feared the whole song would be like, yet, only being a small bit, adds quite a bit to the song). That song is like a variety show. It's filled with a little bit of everything, and it meshes together for quite an entertaining song.
Mexican Rambo Doll
Location: In your closet. Kinda like that homeless Japanese lady.
Lobo Tommy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM       
I have always hated Weezer. Awful and boring music.
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM       
Weezer is a failtastical bag of shit, and that's me being nice.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM       
I'll bet if they sang anime soundtracks you wouldn't be saying that.