Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM        Ann Coulter and "Crackpot Conservatism"
Someone tell me how she was able to write two books in a year?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Jul1.html

Crackpot Conservatism

By Richard Cohen

Tuesday, July 1, 2003; Page A13

I am happy to report that Ann Coulter has lost her mind. The evidence for this is her most recent book, "Treason," a nearly unreadable slog through every silly thing anyone on the left has ever said. Coulter conflates dissent with treason, opposition with treason, being wrong with treason, being right with treason and just about anything she doesn't like with treason. If the book were a Rorschach test, she would be institutionalized.

My glee in reporting that Coulter is daft is predicated on the prediction that her book, like her previous one, will be a bestseller. This is invariably the case with rants from the right. They tell the majority (non-liberals) that they are being controlled by the minority (liberals) -- and that most of the country's important institutions, particularly the press, are in the hands of leftists. Coulter has now taken this argument one step further. This wee minority is not merely wrong. It is traitorous.

She says the New York Times "issues traitorous editorials." She says, "Liberals relentlessly attack their own country, but we can't call them traitors, which they manifestly are." "Free speech," which those canny liberals often cite to justify their wacko ideas, "is a one-way ratchet for traitors," and "liberals have a preternatural gift for striking a position on the side of treason." The book is a hoot.

It is also good news for liberals. It suggests that the right, at least the hard right, has finally dumbed out. This is the predictable cycle for all movements. They start with a genuine grievance and proceed from there to the totally ridiculous -- or, in some cases, to the downright macabre.

In some ways, the nutso American brand of archconservatism mirrors traditional anti-Semitism. Jew-haters proclaim that Jews control the media, international finance and almost everything else of importance -- but, somehow, Jews have accumulated a 2,000-year history of expulsions, pogroms and, finally, the mass murder of the Holocaust. It is the same with American liberals. They control everything, and yet, somehow, the White House, both houses of Congress and, with the exception of several delis in New York, the entire business community are in the hands of conservatives. It's hard to figure.

Now Coulter has gone from the mythical to the absurd. Nonconservatives are traitors. In another country and in another age, the remedy would be apparent: expulsion or something like it. As this is America, the best she can muster is scorn, ad hominem arguments (Bill Clinton's face is a "fat, oleaginous mug"; Jimmy Carter is "often maligned for his stupidity," etc.) and the shrapnel of quotes she accumulates after she has exploded their context. Sometimes she's oblivious to her own contradictions. The trouble with liberals, she says, is that they "believe they're God." This would come as news to the pious -- but stupid -- Jimmy Carter.

But in a book that rehashes the McCarthy years, the Alger Hiss case, the House Un-American Activities Committee imbroglio, the Hollywood blacklist and everything but "I Love Lucy," Coulter finally heaves herself into the present and the war with Iraq. Mockingly, she excoriates the traitorous New York Times, which she cleverly calls "the Baghdad Times," for having said that there was "no reliable evidence" that "Saddam Hussein is connected to the Sept. 11 attack or to al Qaeda."

She goes on and on in this vein -- actually, she goes on and on in every vein -- dumbly confident as she typed that such a link would be proved. It has not -- and Coulter, as she herself must now recognize, is nothing more than the Bush administration's useful idiot.

Fairness compels me to say that Coulter scores some points. Parts of the left -- not all of it, dearie -- were unaccountably naive about communism, and as recently as the run-up to the Iraq war some of these same people again manifested an almost compulsive need to blame America for everything wrong in the world. But I think she sometimes gives the left too much credit. "The left cut down a brave man," she writes about McCarthy, forgetting that the ol' red-baiter was censured only after he had tangled with the Eisenhower administration.

Coulter's book contains the usual name-calling, the usual spinning of the facts, the occasional racial insult -- McCarthy, for instance, "took enemy fire from savage Oriental beasts" in World War II -- and it revives the charge from the 1950s that the Democratic Party is the party of traitors. "The inevitable logic of the liberal position is to be for treason," Coulter says in the last sentence of her book. When it reaches the bestseller list, as it almost surely will, we will know that the conservative movement has finally cracked up.

Happy days are here again.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:31 PM       
She was a regular on Real Time with Bill Maher. She is a nutjob, definitely. It was hilarious to see her argue with everyone about any little thing and it was ALWAYS some leftfield wacko viewpoint.

Zosimus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:36 PM       
ann coulter is a joke! ....normally, I am non-violent, but in her case I would be willing to make an exception ( a.45 exception of the rule) I'm sure she wouldn't mind, the "bitch" (too decent a description of her really) is pro-guns you know...

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:53 PM        ...
She's better to look at than Bill O'Rielly.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:42 AM       
So am I.

Spasmolytic is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:41 PM       
"I am happy to report that Ann Coulter has lost her mind. " - I couldn't think of a more amusing way to start a review... that's priceless

damn i love this party emoticon

Little Monster
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM       
http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democ...on/6204918.htm

Posted on Tue, Jul. 01, 2003

Kids fear Ann Coulter
By Andy Borowitz
HUMOR

"Mommy, make the scary lady go away." Those are the tearful words of Kaylee Brodkin, 7, of Gary, Ind., who for the last five days has been awakened in the middle of the night by terrifying nightmares - nightmares featuring television pundit/author Ann Coulter.

With the ubiquitous Coulter currently on a national book tour, little Kaylee's sad story is far from an isolated occurrence.

"More and more these days, we are seeing small children who have been traumatized by Ann Coulter," said Dr. Harmon Densmore, chief clinical psychologist at the Chartwell Children's Institute based at the University of Minnesota.

While Densmore urges parents to limit their children's exposure to the banshee-like pundit, whose intemperate polemics flatten everyone and everything in their path, he acknowledges that keeping children away from Coulter entirely may be next to impossible.

Little Kaylee, who is now working with a counselor to conquer her fear, attends role-playing therapy sessions twice a week in which she uses a dragon puppet to bite the head off an Ann Coulter puppet.

"I'd like to hug Kaylee and tell her that Ann Coulter doesn't exist, but you can't lie to your kids," said Kaylee's mother, Diane Brodkin, 38. "Children today have to deal with a lot of scary things, and Ann Coulter, unfortunately, is one of them."

Quote:
"Mommy, make the scary lady go away."
Bwahahaha! That quote made my day!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:47 PM       
Cohen is right. Coulter is the best thing that could happen to the Left, b/c she exposes the radical Right that is currently leading this movement like a train conductor on crack.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM       
I've never read any of her work, but I can safely conclude that anyone who would stand up for Joe McCarthy and call him a "brave man" is a fruitcake. I remember seeing films of this guy from the communist witch-hunts when I was about ten, and I knew he was full of shit even then. If a fully-grown and supposedly educated woman idolizes ol' Joe, I'm not even sure she qualifies as a sentient being.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM       
If you can grab a copy of the first season (from this year) of Real Time with Bill Maher, she is on like 3 of the episodes (8 total). Listening to her makes my brain hurt, but as Kevin said of Cohen; she is the best thing to happen to the left.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:44 AM       
Coulter is as much an authority of Conservativism as Streisand is in regards to Liberalism.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:30 AM       
Do you think if she had a beak like Streisands anyon would let her be pundit?

The ONLY reason she's alowed to be a spokesperson for the far right is becuase it lets Limbaugh listeners imagine they could bed an attractive woman. She's to Neo Cons what Seven of Nine was to Geeks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:32 AM       
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:59 AM       
I bet Vince sends her marriage proposals.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
The ONLY reason she's alowed to be a spokesperson for the far right is becuase it lets Limbaugh listeners imagine they could bed an attractive woman. She's to Neo Cons what Seven of Nine was to Geeks.
Shut up. SHUT UP. IT COULD HAPPEN.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:11 PM       
I don't find Ann Coulter all that attractive. She needs to eat a steak sandwich. But if you actually read "Treason" and not some dumbass review, you would see where the book makes loads of sense.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:43 AM       
You wouldn't see 'where' anything. My God, can't you even write in English on the fourth of July?

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 09:59 AM       
Did anyone ask your opinion, kike?
Little Monster
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 10:09 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
SHUT. UP.

Anyway, here's a nice examination of Coulter's new book, Treason.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 10:27 AM       
Quote:
No problem, you big fat roly-poly fuck.

Max, what are your opinions on Ann Coulter, and Vince's horrible absuse of the English language?

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM       
Oh, I'm sorry, did I just expose another liberal two-faced ideal, that it is ok for liberals to use racist slang if they are trying to be "funny" and enlightened", but if one of us big bad conservatives/libertarians use it, it is evil and RACISTS!!!!11!!!

Mission accomplished.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
The mission you accomplished was proving even further that you are a bag of shit. Someone should asign you a new mission. You've accomplished that one quite thoroughly. That mission is getting old.

"Now, your mission is to be a Kike which you is now so stop being on that mission, dumbass Hebe."
-Vinth Thupurating-Thore

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:38 PM       
Shouldn't you be busy teaching your kid about the greatness of Marxism? This is the worst day for you, considering it celebrates the greatness of the U.S.A.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:42 PM       
Quote:
Wasn't racism and other forms of discrimination banned by the new rules?? I thought it was...
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I just expose another liberal two-faced ideal, that it is ok for liberals to use racist slang if they are trying to be "funny" and enlightened", but if one of us big bad conservatives/libertarians use it, it is evil and RACISTS!!!!11!!!

Mission accomplished.
When the hell did Max use racist slang?