Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM        Jerry Falwell dead
Falwell dead at the age of 73

So, who is the heir apparent? Who is the new leader of the evangleical movment in America?

Does it keep going? Will it have the same power and influence it has recently enjoyed without a figure head to lead it?

I'd like to avoid the statements about Falwell's character and digs about religion. I'm hoping to gain some insight on a movement that has such a huge influence over American politics and culture.

Last edited by El Blanco : May 16th, 2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: clarification
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM       
I don't think you'll see an Evangelical movement of that fashion ever again. Falwell and Robertson have already lost a great deal of their influence, and the modern evangelical movement has spread beyond simply abortion and gays, on to issues like immigration and the environment.

The modern leaders seem to be less partisan, and realize that their relevance rests in playing both sides of the field.

But no doubt, a pivotal figure in movement conservatism died today. Crazy....
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM       
You know that guy is going to hell
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM       
Fred Phelps is planning to picket his funeral.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM       
"Focus on the Family" still seems to hold some clout, and they are pretty much a direct linear outgrowth of Falwell.

While evenagelical christianity's interests have diversified, there are still an awful lot of born again out there who believe in the rapture and believe it's sometime soon. I don't think they should be recconed out of political calculus just yet. I think there is a leadership vaccuum right now, and no one from Falwell's generation of Evangelists or the one the immediately followed it (Ralph Reed et al) are in good shape to bring a movement together. But I think it would be naive to think that desire isn't out there waiting for a new generation of leaders.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM       
I think there's a difference between political evangelicalism, and simply evangelicals and their own growth.

Dobson is certainly a prominent figure, but guys like Falwell were king makers. The network of donors/voters guys like him and Robertson created helped re-define the Republican Party. I don't think you'll see political evangelical organization like that again....
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM       
I do.

If one doesn't pop up of it's own accord I'll just start it myself.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux View Post
Fred Phelps is planning to picket his funeral.
Seriously?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM       
Yes, Fred Phelps thinks EVERYONE is evil. Except, of course, for himself and his blood-related congregation.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM       
Ann Coulter on Jerry Falwell's Death

Quote:
In its Jan. 8, 1999, issue, USA Today accused The Washington Post of "outing" Tinky Winky, with a "recent Washington Post In/Out list putting T.W. opposite Ellen DeGeneres and Anne Heche, essentially 'outing' the kids' show character."

Oh Ann, you're so droll!

Or if you'd rather not promote Ms. Coulter, I've taken the liberty to read the column for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FZxPvdEG0
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM       
I had to stop the video because I didn't want to begin associating your voice with Ann Coulter since, in the off chance that I meet you in real life, it may drive me to punch you in the face.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM       
I just hope his replacement isn't a god damned floor rolling tongue speaking pentacostal.

I am so sick of these people deluding themselves into calling themselves prophets and giving all christians a bad name.