Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM        i'm a nerd and i'm bitching about nintendo games.
i love fan translations. i think the people who translate games that were never localized in the west are great. i've been able to play many-a-good-game as a result of romhackers.

i've seen people on romhacking-dot-net (you know THE compendium of fan-translations) state flat-out that there is nothing of worth left to translate for the famicom/nes. which is simply not true, even when you exclude mahjong games and fortune-telling software. there are plenty of rpgs untranslated, and games that would benefit from a re-translation (the magic of scheherazade - the game that brought kali to the us as curly!).

all right, so the shin megami tensei franchise is often cited as being the third-most popular rpg series in japan, behind final fantasy and dragon quest/warrior. it's even big in the states now, since atlus started localizing the games and people wet their pants over nocturne (with good reason) and dating-sim-crap-persona 3.

how the hell has nobody translated the first two games in the series? megami tensei/mt2

the original has been "near-completion" for years, by agtp/gideon zhi, the dude that translated the first sfc shin megami tensei games.

but i haven't seen that anybody has even announced attempting to translate digital devil story: megami tensei ii. that's totally a bummer.

the games were re-released on the super famicom, with a graphical make-over and probably some balance issues fixed. there's a translation of that in progress, too, apparently, but maaaaaaaaaaaaan. why no love for the 8-bit games?

i know there's a lot of people out there who have a stiffy for the famicom - i'm one of them. i know there's a lot of people out there who have a stiffy for the megaten franchise - i'm getting there. how come none of these motherfuckers are romhackers?

k0k0, get on this. learn japanese plz.

also, FUCKING COOL MUSIC.

god DAMN it
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM       
I once translated half of a japanese game. I wanted to fuck with romhacking.net, so I was translating the rpg but with made up shit since I don't know Japanese. I ended up giving up because it was a long ass rpg and someone already finished their translation of it.
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM       
haha, what game was it?

i just don't understand how people have translated bottom of the barrel dragon warrior clones like shell monsters story (fuck!) but not MEGAMI TENSEI 2.

i mean, i do understand it: it's easier that way.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM       
It was Elysion. It wasn't very good and I was kind of glad to stop working on it.

And yeah, those fuckers who know japanese always translate the stupid shit and leave the good stuff hanging a lot of times. Although sometimes they do the right thing.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM       
ew, yeah. pretty bad game. nes rpgs are usually shit, but there are some good ones. if your emulator's turbo/speed key is handy, at least.

i just don't understand the lack of demand for the megaten games :'(
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM       
I only played the Digital Devil Story ones.

I DEMAND THEM. THERE IS DEMAND.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM       
digital devil saga? on the ps2? i have both of those (i just "came into" a bunch of ps2 games so i get to catch up), but i'm about 70 hours into persona 2 at the moment, and ~20 into devil summoner: raidou v soulless army, and i think next i'll tackle shin megami tensei for the snes.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM       
Digital Devil Story was what it was translated as for the SNES, as well. Them SMT's are good'uns.

Confusing fucking name structure. And Digital Devil Saga is a damn spinoff.

But all of these games are good. All of them.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM       
OOOOH ok! i didn't realize.

i still have to finish nocturne. the dungeons just got so damn tedious and then i got to the last and was so burnt out.

also i played it new game + on a save with like 4 playthroughs and 500 hours, so fusing every demon with bright might/dark might and pierce kind of made all the bosses easy as shit (except the, like, two with null/void/reflect phys). the difficulty level was lost on me.

oh god how am i so boring
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM       

you've lived a long and fruitful life of video games
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM       
not even fruitful i'm only now getting into the megaten world and i'm 25 :'( :''( :'',,'',',,','','',',',','','',',',','',','O yum these tears tast goods

i remember losing interest in video games and selling my sega genesis so i'd have money to buy christmas gifts for my family because i never used it because i was always outside in the woods and then my friends got too cool to want to wander around in the woods anymore when they were being all proto-puberty-cool-dudes and then i bought a psx when i was 12 and then i got a computer when i was 14 and from that point on my life has been a downward spiral of sprites and polygons these are my final words farewell world good night sweet prince (myself)
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:57 PM       
I've got Nocturne and a couple of the Persona games, along with the two DS games, but I just haven't had the time to play them yet. They sound great, I just have trouble getting into any JRPG these days.

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM       
I don't understand why nobody has translated the PS1 remakes of Shin Megami Tensei I and II. The Super Famicom ones are kind of hard to navigate because all the hallways look exactly the same and the PS1 versions mix that up at least a little bit.

I am a huge faggot for the SMT series (obviously <-------) and I've played most of the games. I tend to rank them thusly:

1) Nocturne
2) Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment (Two parts of the same game, basically)
3) Devil Survivor
4) Persona 4
5) Persona 3 (Preferably the portable version, since it has GURL MODE)
6) Digital Devil Saga 2
7) Digital Devil Saga 1
8) Strange Journey
9) Persona 1

I haven't played enough of SMT1 and 2 to rank them honestly. I got fairly far in SMT1 and put it down and now I can't figure out what the fuck. The game is so frustratingly difficult to navigate unless you're drawing up your own maps to supplement the godawful automap system. I didn't get all that far in SMT2 but it's got a fuckawesome setting and great music. Also SMT1 and 2 have some of the raddest hero designs (although you never see them in game):

SMT1:

And his Kazuma Kaneko redesign:

It's like he's straight out of an 80s sci fi. I love the idea of the hero using both a sword and a gun, something that's apparently unheard of outside of this series. Also look at that wrist computer. Fuck Omni-tools, this shit should be the sci fi standard.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM       
i stopped playing smt2 when i got to a big place that had no random encounters so i just went around filling out the map, forgetting that you need ENERGY TO MOVE. so then i was taking damage with every step. and refilling health costs a lot of money.

and then not only do you have to pay to revive a dead demon, you have to PAY TO PUT HIM IN YOUR PARTY. fuck.

i'll play it in the not-too-distant future, paying more attention, but fuck.

i don't plan on playing persona 3 or 4. also, no ds, so i'll only end up playing the ds ones if ds emulation gets stable.

also i thought kaneko was the artist/designer for the old ones, too.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM       
No, Kaneko didn't show up til around the PS1 era, AFAIK.

And yeah MAG conservation is one of the things that becomes really painful if you're one of those people (like me) who has to fill in every tile of the map.

edit: if you go to the YouTube page of that video you linked it links to this forum under the "As Seen On" thing.

Last edited by Emu : Oct 20th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM       
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuma_Kaneko

he was there forever! i thought that was the case. an old friend was big into the series (like, had NA and JP versions of nocturne and the ps2 devil summoner games and strange journey) and used to talk about how much better the guy got at artwork over the years.

i kind of like the older human designs better, though. they're silly, but there's just something i find a little unsettling about the way everybody looks in the ps2 games.

scary!

man, i was so excited when i was able to fuse barong in nocturne, and then more excited when i saw how goddamn cute he is. but he's weak to death or something and he dies all the goddamn time and i think it would have been a pain to give him resist death so i ended up having to get rid of him and i think that's when i lost interest in that game.

because of barong. cute little barong.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM       

He's done more than just SMT, yanno! Maken X on the Dreamcast has some pretty wacky Kaneko art associated with it.

He also designed Dante and Vergil's demon forms in DMC3.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM       
never played any of the dmc games, i only know dante from his obnoxious cameos in nocturne.

man, speaking of video game artists, yoshitaka amano is great.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM       
I wrote a paper on him once. Also, this is a good book.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM       
looks it. i'm surprised my old roommate didn't have it. he had a few amano art-books. same guy that had a bunch of smt/kaneko art books.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM       
Oddly enough, I bought it after seeing an interview with him about it in Heavy Metal Magazine.

Also, I want a Jack Frost tattoo. I need to make this happen.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM       
i think mara would be better suited for you

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM       
It's got so many veins.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM       
needs lots of blood!

demon blood
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM       
One of my friends has Serph's Water Crown symbol tattooed on his arm. It's rad as hell.