Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:36 PM        Emulators and Incapatibility
This topic is for those of us unfortunate enough to no longer have our original NES (or whatever system you choose) and play our classics through the magic of ROMs and emulators but have experienced a frustrating side effect:

The dreaded incompatible ROM.

Back in the day, when I was a wee lad attempting to tackle Fester's Quest, it couldn't be done. Maybe it was before my gaming skills had fully developed, but I couldn't even manage to make it to the first house.

Fast forward a decade or so...

Thanks to the magic of emulators, I once again make a valiant attempt to tackle Fester's Quest, and am kicking much more ass than in years gone by...

...and just when I start to get good and cocky, I select a key to open up the first house and *CRASH*. My emulator restarts the game from the title screen.

This thread has two purposes. One is the rather specific question, is there an emulator that Fester's Quest works with better results on? Just as a heads up I use NESter.

Secondly, have you flown through a game recently, battled towards the end, and almost beaten it only to have the emulator throw the dreaded "unsupported" error at you? If so, what game/emulator combination have you had the worst experience with?

Off the top of my head I can only think of two, both with NESter:

1. Fester's Quest, which will restart your game the second you use a key on one of the dungeons

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)... making it all the way to the Technodrome at the end of Level 5 and kicking ass, only to have it move along the screen and suddenly crash my emulation because apparently NESter can't handle a goddamned Technodrome.