Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:45 PM        Listen to my rant about working in a toy store at Christmas
FUCKING FUCK IT FUCKING SUCKS

That is all.

OK it's not. So around Christmas time, the seasonal help is hired. Unfortunately, the seasonal help is 90% high school kids that are only there to pick up a paycheck while they talk to their friends and do no fucking work, and we can't fire them because we somehow need them for the little they may be forced into doing to partial completion. Another 10% are people who are willing to work, but have the brain power of a Colecovision and therefore their work is liken to the antics of Baby Huey. The final 10%, and that's a generous 10%, is people who do what is needed of them. Or they're just pretty.

Every Tuesday, we have freight. Freight is the big magic toy truck that dumps off a shitload of boxes for us to open, price the items inside, and then somehow find room for all of it on the shelves. This is done by people in the backroom, AND cashiers. People on the floor should be helping to put items on the shelf. We had so much, that we needed to do freight today, as well.

So today, I come in at 5pm. One of the garbages is full to overflowing. Why not... tie it up and maybe bring it to the back with the other garbage, when you can just watch as you throw something out and see it roll out onto the floor? That's just more fun!

So I tied up the garbage, put in a new bag, and brought the garbage to the back. I come back up after finding out that I'm just on floor tonight (as opposed to having a register as well), and we have two flatbeds full of freight, as well as 3-4 cartfulls of returns (items that need to go back to the aisles/freight that has been prices). So I returned all the carts, myself. After which, I started taking items from the flatbed not being worked on, and start pricing and filling up a cart. When the cart is full, I put the items out and go back to the freight.

Near the end, there are 3-4 carts full of the remaining freight from the other flatbed (that 2-3 people were doing, no less. We'll call these three people Beepo, Porkchop, and Cutiepie. These three all had registers as well). Cutiepie started to work on the boxes I had left, and we finished.

So I go back and get a whole lot of new boxes to open, price, and put out. Meanwhile, the carts the other did remained there, and nobody got more freight to do. Beepo and Porkchop rang people up, and then goofed off when there were no customers to ring up, and Cutiepie was ringing people up, taking the cardboard boxes to the back, and talking with the others from time to time. I did the second freight all by myself.

Near the end of my second stack of boxes, Beepo decides to finally take one of his carts to put the items out, while Porkchop leans over the counter, waiting for the next customer. So the manager calls her up and asks her how freight is coming along.

"We finished ours a while ago. James is still working on his."

Manager asks if she thought about helping me with "mine." She says that they had the items to return, still, and Beepo was doing it. So the manager tells him that he'll bring her up another flatbed of goodies. She says no. He says yes. She says "if you want, I guess." He says "Well, now that I have your blessing, I'll come up."

All while this is going on, someone we'll call Huey is doing customer service on the floor, and supposedly doing recovery. She is on floor because putting her on the register results in too many problems.

So anyway, after I finished up my second stack of boxes, I went to the back to get more. Manager says I can just take already priced items and put them out. I did 2-3 trips' worth of those. Beepo, Porkchop, and Cutiepie still haven't finished their new stack of freight. And now Porkchop is doing returns.

Hour before we close, the manager asks me to start doing recovery (making the shelves look pretty). So I ask Huey what she's done so far of recovery. She said she's done all the aisles, and asiles 1-3 (we have 9 aisles), are definitely all perfect, so I should just check the rest. I relay this news to the manager, and we both share a little understanding not to trust the word of Huey. But NOW, the manager wants me to teach Cutiepie how to do recovery. I've never taught anyone how to do this.

So I take her to aisle one, and start to explain what to do, and pointing out a few examples and how to fix it. Example after example... after example. Remember how Huey said aisle 1-3 were definitely done? Yeah, NO. NO NO NO NO NO. Also, the returns Beepo and Porkchop had done? Well, let's just say I probably needed to teach them what to do as well. So my "lesson" involved showing her how to fix everyone else's mistakes, while she just nodded and said "Yeah, uh-huh, yah, yup." At least she seemed to get it and didn't do too bad. But at the same time, we have to fix all this shit, and having to teach her how to do it means we're going very slowly.

I also made the mistake of leaving the front of the store to be dealt with by Beepo and Porkchop (cashiers are responsible for the front, the video games, the registers, and the first half of each aisle if we're empty enough. Cashiers also vaccuum the carpets, take out the garbages, and then help with recovery if it's needed, or sweep if nobody else has started). Now, while I'm teaching cutiepie, I hear a crash. Porkchop is RIDING ON A FUCKING FLATBED. On top of which, both of them aren't 18 yet, so they legally have to be let out by 10pm. The front? Not done. Asisles 1-3? Now partially done through my teaching Cutiepie. The rest of the store? Fucking trainwreck.

And now the manager has left, leaving the assistant manager in charge.

So I told Cutiepie that she's pretty much all set, she'll start recovery at one end of the store, I'll start on the other, and we'll meet in the middle. As SOON as she gets to her end, we're both called to the backroom.

I have to let Huey out and relock the doors, while Cutiepie witnesses the assistant manager counting up the money. it should be noted that one other person is still doing freight in the back, while three others are taking care of garbage now. They're doing good, though I'd have wished for more help on the floor.

I told the three on garbage that I didn't think recovery was getting done tonight. I then told one of them to just let me out. He made sure it was OK with the assistant manager, and then let me out.

And now I'm home at 11pm bitching to you all about how a typical fucking day at work has been for me this holiday season. I'll be happy when Christmas is over, and we can finally fire all these half-brained worthless fucks. HOWEVER, Porkchop may or may not be seasonal help, so she'll still be there unless she gets let go too (which she should). Cutpiepie, I'm pretty sure, is being trained to stay on after Christmas. She's not bad, and without all the goofing off around her, she'll probably me more worthwhile. Huey will DEFINITELY be gone, because EVERYONE at the store understands how terrible she is and the problems she causes. Beepo will most likely be gone too, but he's actually not too bad a worker without other people around to goof off with. But he'll still have friends at the store after Christmas, so we'll see. Also, EVERY FUCKING DAY he works, his girlfriend comes in, and stays to talk with him. Then he goes on his break to talk some more. So I don't know.

If I stay working here, I'm gonna see about the possibility of becoming a aprt-time manager. That way I don't have to do as much of this shit, and I can be in a position to tell stupid people what to do.

SHARE YOUR WORK RANTS WITH ME, FOLKS! Merry Christmas, too.
ˇOlé!
xbxDaniel is probably a spambot
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:56 PM       
90 + 10 + 10 = 110%
You over acheiver.
Still, you gave me some perspective.

I don't have a job, and it's twelve o' clock here.

onders
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:23 AM       
I always give 110% at work.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:27 AM       
I'll never get the time I spent reading your post back

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:56 AM       
Fucking shutup James. I work a retail job when I'm not in school and I used to complain and bitch about petty shit like you are until I got an ACTUAL bad job.

Would it be within reason at your current job for a manger to say he or she is going to "PUT MY BIG DICK IN YO' MOUTH YOU ALL WANT DA BIIIIG DICK" and then get wasted and throw utensils at the floor while screaming and telling you how fucking stupid and worthless you are?

Fuck you James. Honestly.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:10 AM       
I just moved INTO retail, actually, and I have to say, James, you should try working in a restaraunt over the holidays. You will pray for retail after that.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBubba
Would it be within reason at your current job for a manger to say he or she is going to "PUT MY BIG DICK IN YO' MOUTH YOU ALL WANT DA BIIIIG DICK" and then get wasted and throw utensils at the floor while screaming and telling you how fucking stupid and worthless you are?
Sadly, no. That at least sounds fun. The most interesting thing that's happened so far is the series of thefts/scams our store has been hit with, on account of the stupidity.

But hey, at least you contributed and made me feel better, though you don't have to be so uppity about it. I vented about how my work has been. It's not like I'm saying I have the single worst job in the history of jobdom and I'm not allowed to quit, and I complain about it every waking second of the day, taking a few hours to do more work so I have something fresh to complain about.

The job is actually pretty good. But I'm just feeling a bit burnt out over doing so much more than most of the people there, and at the end of the day, I'm more tired and sore, and that's all I have to show for it.

I don't know why you guys are playing up the retail shit so much. Useless employees are in evey type of job.

By the way, Bubba. Did you do anything about that situation?
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM       
Well, he OBVIOUSLY wanted "DA BIIIIIG DICK", so my guess is that fellatio ensued in the kind of heartfelt way that can only be adequately conveyed in an ABC family Christmas special.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM       
James, your problem is rooted in your concern for the entire crew's completion of assigned tasks.

I presume you don't get a bonus if everything is done to perfection. You get the same pay regardless, don't you?

You need to adjust your attitude to your environment. Do what you can to be a good employee, but if you work with fuckwits who can't get shit done, don't let it get to you. You are not management - it is not your problem.

The more ridiculous it gets, the more potential you have for personal amusment OR for personal stress - and it all depends on your attitude.
Dr. Fu is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM       
Go to college, get a real job.

i want 2 b an astronat bcuz i wanna xplor d spase
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:49 PM        Re: Listen to my rant about working in a toy store at Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Porkchop is RIDING ON A FUCKING FLATBED.
This is the first time James has ever made me laugh.

I remember retail at Christmas time. I'm glad those days are long behind me.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
James, your problem is rooted in your concern for the entire crew's completion of assigned tasks.

I presume you don't get a bonus if everything is done to perfection. You get the same pay regardless, don't you?

You need to adjust your attitude to your environment. Do what you can to be a good employee, but if you work with fuckwits who can't get shit done, don't let it get to you. You are not management - it is not your problem.

The more ridiculous it gets, the more potential you have for personal amusment OR for personal stress - and it all depends on your attitude.
It becomes my problem when the work they were supposed to do becomes my work, or the work of others who have been doing shit all shift long.

I usually don't let it get to me, but with how hectic things are around this time of year, it becomes a lot more problematic when you have people not doing what they should be doing. And it just leaves me burnt out. I'm taking a week off between Christmas and New Year's, and after that things should be quieted down again.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM       
You get the same pay, regardless, don't you?

You don't have to cover for them. You don't have to bust your ass to do the work of two people, when that shithead teenager is going to be walking home with half the pay generated by all the work you did.

Fuck that shit. This is your manager's problem, not yours, and you really should make him or her aware that you don't mind hard work, but NOT when someone jacking around the entire shift is walking home with the same pay. You could leave it up to your manager to figure out on their own what the problem is, and just work like normal. Or you can just keeping sucking it up where it matters and continue venting about it somewhere it doesn't. <shrug> Your call.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM       
Manager is fully aware of the problems, as are the assistant managers and a number of employees. He said he can't wait until after Christmas, when he can finally get rid of a bunch of people.

I'm not covering for anyone. I just do what needs to be done, and I don't usually complain, even if "what needs to be done" is something that others left until I finally get around to it. I hate to say it, but I tend to feel compelled to do a good job, regardless of reward. I COULD sit around and do nothing, or I COULD do a half-ass job. But most of the time, I just can't bring myself to do so. Not necessarily because I value my job or am afraid of getting in trouble; I just feel that I owe it to myself to do what I'm capable of. Of course, feeling the way I am recently makes it a lot easier to not give a shit.

But like I said, this time of year means there's a lot more going on, and I'm getting burnt out. I have 5 more days of work before Christmas, and I'm pretty sure I can manage that. I'll definitely be a bit more vocal during those 5 days, and if any problems arise after that, then shit will certainly be happening after that.

Porkchop is friends with lots of people, but those same friends are about ready to kill her. Huey is DEFINITELY gone after Christmas, because her inability to do work creates a business problem (she's forgotten numerous times to emboss a credit card if it won't swipe, which is why she isn't on a register anymore). Beepo will probably be gone after Christmas, unless they just decide to schedule him on days where others won't be around for him to goof off with. Cutiepie is an assistant manager's friend, and the general idea wll be she stays on. She's only worked 5 days so far, and we'll see exactly how much better she gets as time goes on.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM        Re: Listen to my rant about working in a toy store at Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
same here.

is this your full-time gig, james? or are you in college working toward something other than retail?

Slinky Ferret is probably a spambot
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM       
I have worked in retail for over seven years now, I've also worked in office type jobs and of course I worked as an IT Administrator/Web Developer etc. for my placement year.

Wherever you work you will encounter problems, from fellow employees, customers or even outsiders. Depending on the type of job you are required to do can require different resources, time, mental ability, intelligence etc.

Lets start with Customers.

Now, I have encountered all sorts in my time. In my current employment there are several types. Firstly we have the elderly with a variety of different needs and attitudes. Some of them expect you to accompany them around the shop and show them where everything is, others expect ridiculous demands of perfection, others are rude and abusive, some enjoy just talking to you. Secondly we have career people who are always in a rush, then families with children in some case riding scooters around the shop or with noisy toys that really piss you off. Then we have the young mothers with babies that scream in unison. Last but not least we have the local alcoholics and drug addicts who attempt to shop lift.

My managers have suffered so much abuse from customers in particular the alcoholics when they get caught. We can't afford a security bloke at our store because it is too small, but the managers are expected to prevent a shop lifter leaving.

On another note, elderly people seem to find our shop an excellent place to catch up on gossip, despite there being several cafes accross the road. This can cause difficulties when moving things around! Also some of them seem to get faint and ill perhaps from low blood sugar. Several people have collapsed and in a few cases, died in the store or just outside in the ambulance. It is really sad when that happens.

Now Employees

There are always in any job people who work hard and people who do as little as possible. Now I admit I like having a chat to my fellow employees but that doesn't stop me working while I do that. In fact I think it helps me work well at times it can get pretty lonely sometimes. In my previous jobs I had some unkind managers one in particular was extremely abusive and angry at me a few times for minor incidents. His temper made alot of people miserable. In my current job, if I've done something wrong they kindly take me aside and tell me without shouting at me. I have found that through their encouragement I have developed some sort of confidence as well as respect. I mainly respect my managers because they don't just stroll around doing nothing, they do exactly the same thing as me and help me with my job.

Sorry for the essay. I do enjoy my job, but I know that it is not the field I want a future career in. However, it has taught me alot about people as well as myself. James, I'm sure in the years to come you will look back and think "I was a machine! I was so cool and kicked their lazy asses". Maybe I work hard because I like my job, or maybe its my sense of purpose, whats the point in being lazy in a job? If you don't like the job get another! I've stayed in my current job for almost three years because the money is bearable, I get a good bonus, discount and have fun people to work with.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM        Re: Listen to my rant about working in a toy store at Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
same here.

is this your full-time gig, james? or are you in college working toward something other than retail?
I work part time at the store for a number of reasons, not one of which is school, since I'm not in college at the moment. It's obviously not a career choice; I don't want to be shilling toys for the rest of my life. Besides, the store might not be around much longer. But it's a job I do enjoy, and a job I'm apparently really good at.

Slinky, I know what you mean by loneliness. Most of the people that work there (and definitely everyone on the regular schedule) are all friends, either through work or through school, including managers. Hell, they're all on each other's myspace lists. So I do feel like the odd one out sometimes, but I do generally get along well enough with the folks to have a good time while at work, yet still get my work done.

Of course, feeling lonely leads me to go off and focus more on the work, which is probably why I get so much done. :/

And I also have to say, I've rarely encountered a customer I've had trouble with. I know other employees there have, but I haven't. The worst I had was a lady who was upset I needed to see her ID for an unsigned Debit card (store policy; our computers aren't set up to handle Debit any different than a credit card, so we treat it like a credit card, including ID for unsigned cards). I told her, and apologized for the inconvenience as she went out to get her license. She asked to speak to the manager, and that was it.

In fact, the customers I usually get are very nice. On more than one occasion, I've had customers speak highly of me to others. I even had a pair who had me call my manager up so they could tell him I deserve a raise. I'm fairly thankful I never had to deal with an annoying customer.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM       
I work at office depot, and i like everyone who works there. They all do what they need to do, and we don't need to do any crossover recovery.
Mr. Fugo is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 09:50 AM        Re: Listen to my rant about working in a toy store at Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
FUCKING FUCK IT FUCKING SUCKS

That is all.
You should have stopped there. I would have given you more sympathy that way.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM       
And what a coveted prize that is.
Woud You Like Tangerines?
Wiffle Bat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM       
Awww ;___; *pat pats* at least working with those kinds of people, you will never be called lazy by your boss and be the last one fired ~
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM       
I remember hating Christmas carols after leaving the grocery store I was at. Putting up with gay coworkers is just par for the course. Just do your part and ignore the rest of them.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:17 PM       
Today was better. We were way too busy for me to stray far from the register, we had no stock to worry about, and we had four people dedicated to floor all night.

I'm still a bit tired, but I don't have much reason to be pissed. Other than finding out one of the girls at work was out due to having surgery, and I had NO idea until I worked with her today. Only reason that bothers me, is because this store, you can't do or say anything without everyone finding out. And everyone knew about this except for me (apparently, even a card was passed around and sent).

Just makes me feel more left out and unimportant.
Ivan Raged is probably a spambot
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:41 AM       
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM       
work is teh suck