Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM        Arjuna has a new song up ......
.....at www.myspace.com/arjunaband titled "Drowning In Fire"

gimmie feedback...

l
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:26 PM       
hello. I just heard all your songs. Good recording quality, which is a good place to start. Now to the songs:

white fool - nice tricks. Why do they have to be played twice in the row? The electronics can get a bit intrusive. Stable playing. The bass does nothing/is somewhat buried in the mix. There's not much distortion on the guitars, so kick the bass up a lot to make it more distinctive.

drowning in fire - the distorted guitars are muddy. More definition and treble. They're just 'there' right now. Your guitarist(s) can play. I like the hooks. The vocals are also somewhat just 'there' right now. I guess somebody else might like them more. Again, why do you have to compose in ABCABC-whatever all the time? break up the 'seams' of the music, make it flow more, don't just repeat stuff so you hit your 5 minutes. Nice dynamics in the middle breakdown. Your singer's a pussy, don't get him to 'shout'. He doesn't mean a fucking word. He hasn't come close to one real emotion in his life and is a heartless automation. Don't make him scream.

The Loveless - stop shouting, jerk. The 'angry' parts in the music seem somewhat less artifical here, and the bass line is neat. Shut up, guy. You're not feeling a thing. Stop shouting. Stop that shit. You're a girl. Nice riff. Again, ABCABCwhatever. This is silly. Mix shit up more. Again, the playing is mostly consistent and some bits are kickin'. Again, nice quiet middle, but now it's gotten a bit predicable to expect the dynamic alteration in the middle of the song.

The Interpolaration - the female can shut the fuck up.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM       
Thanks for all the feedback, man.....it nice to have someone else tell you what they think of your stuff...good or bad.

"hello. I just heard all your songs. Good recording quality, which is a good place to start. Now to the songs:"

First of all the recording quality is average due to below average recording equipment. We only have 1 decent mic pre which we are using for the kick drum and one really cheap mic pre for the snare. We are micing the guitar cabs with a Shure 57. We don't own a bass mic that's good enough so we have to go direct with a line 6 bass pod. We have decent vocal equipment but a singer (who also plays guitar) who wrote the parts in the studio and really didn't want to sing at the time BUT has gotten much better since the recording and has never had a problem live.

"white fool - nice tricks. Why do they have to be played twice in the row? The electronics can get a bit intrusive. Stable playing. The bass does nothing/is somewhat buried in the mix. There's not much distortion on the guitars, so kick the bass up a lot to make it more distinctive."

Why do they have to be played twice??? Well, because we liked the part where I use the ring mod on my bass...and believe me, they were meant to be intrusive...when we play that song live it songs like "war of the worlds" is landing on your head. You say the bass is buried but you are listening to it in an mp3 format on a pc....on the e.p. itself the bass comes through quite nicely. ..and the reason there's not much distortion on guitars is because we didn't want any, the song doesn't call for it.

"drowning in fire - the distorted guitars are muddy. More definition and treble. They're just 'there' right now. Your guitarist(s) can play. I like the hooks. The vocals are also somewhat just 'there' right now. I guess somebody else might like them more. Again, why do you have to compose in ABCABC-whatever all the time? break up the 'seams' of the music, make it flow more, don't just repeat stuff so you hit your 5 minutes. Nice dynamics in the middle breakdown. Your singer's a pussy, don't get him to 'shout'. He doesn't mean a fucking word. He hasn't come close to one real emotion in his life and is a heartless automation. Don't make him scream."

As I stated before, we knew there were flaws with the recording but for what had to work with it ended up sounding pretty good....distortion is one of the hardest things to get right...We don't compose ABCABC all the time...."Drowning In Fire" is IntroABCABCDE..."White Fool" is IntroABABABC... "The Loveless" is ABABCDEA....so they are all in different formats...Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.....There are no seams in this song, it's supposed to be choppy and it's nowhere near 5 min.

"The Loveless - stop shouting, jerk. The 'angry' parts in the music seem somewhat less artifical here, and the bass line is neat. Shut up, guy. You're not feeling a thing. Stop shouting. Stop that shit. You're a girl. Nice riff. Again, ABCABCwhatever. This is silly. Mix shit up more. Again, the playing is mostly consistent and some bits are kickin'. Again, nice quiet middle, but now it's gotten a bit predicable to expect the dynamic alteration in the middle of the song."

It's not predictable because we only do that on a couple of songs in our set...Guitars did sound a little better on this track even though the copy you heard was the unmastered version...less freq. to deal with in the mixdown I guess....

"The Interpolaration - the female can shut the fuck up."

Jesse has an awesome voice but she she's not in the band....we just recorded that song one day for fun....

Thanks again...
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM       
Dude I don't need an excuse for every little thing that's wrong with your music. Learn to take critique quietly and honestly.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM       
Just be happy that Helm "reviewed" it and not me.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM       
"Dude I don't need an excuse for every little thing that's wrong with your music. Learn to take critique quietly and honestly." - Helm

Well, whether you need it or not......there it is.

And though you are blatantly wrong about a few of you criticisms (such as the ABCABC thing) I do appreciate your taking the time to do so.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM       
Hey Carnivore, say whatever you'd like...