Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM        Jelly Belly factory- not as awesome as expected. (w/pics)
I'm going to the Jelly Belly factory later this week. The website is vague but I've been led to believe I can ride a pastel train under a series of giant hanging jellybeans before being deposited amongst the overpriced goodies in the gift shop.

Anyone been? Is it any good?

UPDATEAROONEY:

As I said below, I went and wasn't terribly thrilled with the tour. I suspect the Wisconsin Jelly Belly might not be a full-on manufacturing facility...at least, they don't let you anywhere near that if there is one.

Here's the first thing you see as you're driving up. They are, appropriately, on Jelly Belly lane. Bet you didn't see that coming.

In front, they have "the fleet", which in this case means 3 white VW beetles with Jelly Belly decals on them. I don't know what they're used for.

This is what greeted us as we got out of the car. Having been on the tour, the thought of someone waiting an hour for it makes me sad.

The tour, during which there was no photography allowed (dammit) took off from "Jellybean Junction" in the back of the store. A woman in overalls and a conductor's cap drove a tram in 20-foot increments, in between which we'd stop and watch a video greeting from the owner, or videos of stuff being made. The only machines we saw were old, discarded ones...essentially, we were being driven around a warehouse.

The woman read out of a booklet and didn't interact with any of us unless the booklet prompted her to. She wanted us to shout "jellybeans!" at random points, saying if we did she would give us free jellybeans. I didn't shout "jellybeans" and she gave me free jellybeans anyway, so the yuppies in front of us were just chumps.

The tour let us out in the store, where else?

Where you could buy pretty much any Jelly Belly item at retail price and get such quality merchandise as this:

They also sold mutant jellybeans in 2-lb bags as "Belly Flops". "Belly Flops" were 9 bucks a bag and they're apparently desirable because the flavors aren't quite right and the colors don't always match.

There were some intriguing mutants. I think maybe a factory worker spit some gum into ours:

Far and above the best thing, if you're not allergic like me, was the tasting bar. Here you could request a sample of pretty much anything they make.

Also, we got free nifty paper hats.

Last edited by Kitsa : Sep 18th, 2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: edited to add update and pics because you don't need another Jelly Belly thread
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM       
More like, anyone bean, amirite?
But seriously, that sounds like the best thing ever, since Wonka will never open his doors for us again.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM       
I'll let you know.

One thing that really fascinates me is their "Beanboozled" candy, which is an attempted mindfuck in the same vein as the Every Flavor Beans. The black bean might be licorice, or it might be Skunk Spray. The white one might be coconut, but it might also be Baby Wipes. That sort of thing. They advertise that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference just from looking at the beans, so you're taking a chance every time you eat one. Definitely gonna pick up a few boxes of those.
Reeks of awesomeness...
Cherry Nirvana is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM       
I've been once. Nothing wrong with free Jelly Beans! Make sure you pick up some of the Belly Flops if they're available - they're the misshapen Jelly Bellys that they sell for half price.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM       
I wouldn't want to risk eating ANYTHING that had to do with a baby. Damn babies.
Deadite
Obscurus Lupa is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM       
I went there, it was a blast. I got a tin of the butter popcorn flavored jelly beans because I am one of two people in the world who loves that flavor.

You also get a free hat and cannot take pictures in the super secret factory room (but I did anyway).
RARW
=^_^= is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:29 AM       
Hiya fat asses!
Reeks of awesomeness...
Cherry Nirvana is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^_^= View Post
Hiya fat asses!
*waves* Hiya!
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM       
I was underwhelmed by the tour but the gift shop was pretty interesting.

Although I happen to be allergic to an ingredient they use in 99% of their stuff so sucks to be me, no jellybeans.

The bellyflops were $9 for a 2-lb bag! I got one for my parents, but that was all I could afford.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:53 AM       
Allergic to jelly beans? That's horrible!
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM       
Just the beeswax in them...some candy uses beeswax in it and I'm allergic to honey, so I've been told to stay away from all "bee stuff".

I'm allergic to a lot of stupid shit.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM       
Bumped for update with pics.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM       
Thanks for sharing the pics! I definitely would've joined in on the tasting every single jelly bean flavor they make stuff... and I'm sure I would've felt sick as hell afterwards. But these are the prices you pay for such luxuries. I wonder if the line for the tour has ever been an hour. I wonder if they have a "busy season" when it comes to tours at the factory. Perhaps during Easter? Sucks they didn't allow photos during the tour... I always hate places that do that kind o' crap.