Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:00 AM        Help me with my Recording woes, please!
I kind of mentioned this in the I-Mockery Podcast, but I have been having trouble recording stuff with my USB microphone.

Now the Microphone works, it works fantastic. I got because whenever I recorded with a regular one the hissing would just make it sound awful. Yet with the old microphones I could do a thing called AUDIO MIX (or WHAT U HEAR) where it would record everything that the computer hears (from the music, to someone talking over skype, to even my own voice). Yet, with a USB microphone it does not pick up my voice on the audio mix (as you cannot hear my voice through the speakers anymore). So I was wondering if there was a way I can have it so it WILL pick it up so I can record as an audio mix.

The way I am stuck with now is just having the mic next to the speaker so it will pick up my friend's voice and whatever else. But it never really sounds that great and my friend always gets the delay of his voice which is really annoying. When I use to do it i set Skype so he would only hear my microphone and the recorder would pick up the audio mix.

So if there is a way I can't do it, is there another method of recording a radio show (OR PODCAST EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO PODS INVOLVED) using a USB microphone. Is there a recorder out there that can handle this? Is there another watch to put things together that I'm not thinking of? Chojin, I know you write for Infendo and they do those podcasts. How do they pull that off? Is it something really expensive? I really don't want to spend over maybe like 10 dollars fixing this.

Did any of this make sense Sorry I'm a techo-dummy.

I b Willies Cookie Tester
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM       
The USB microphone might not support your sound card's multiple digital out-put.

Your sound card might not support the USB microphone. (for whatever reason, they tend to be fickle like that)

I do have a friend that works with all this junk. If you are still having issues with this later, I'll ask him about it.

Btw what brand of microphone do you have, and is your sound card generic or?
dipshed
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:40 PM       
Thank you for taking this thread seriously Lenor!

It's a logitech USB microphone, I don't know about the soundcard. It came with the laptop.

Is there a software that will be able to do this?

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:42 PM       
You may need a different mic if you want something like that.

I know of things that record skype calls, but that really wouldn't help if you wanted to make a fake-radio show.

This calls for more investigation on my part. What kind of laptop do you have? It might also be the speakers.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:50 AM       
Forget everything I wrote in this post, and please refer to the next two after.

I don't know if you read any of this yet, I wish we could delete our post.

Last edited by Lenor : Apr 1st, 2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: weee im good :)
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:05 AM       
Allright, I did a little research and logitech has over the past years made much better quality products. Here is their product page for all the USB microphones they have
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...=ice_hsnmic_lk

Could you possiably point out which one is your's?
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:25 AM       
Alright, heres a couple steps I need you to do for me, so I can really help you out:

1. I need you to look under your laptop and find out the Model of your laptop. For example myn is a Toshiba Satellite A105.

2. I need you to go into System Properties on your computer, then into hardware. From hardware go into Device Manager and look down the list until you find the +video-sound-etc and it should tell you what your speakers are. For example myn are running realtek high definition audio.

3. I need you to also go to the above mentioned website and see if your model of microphone is listed and let me know.

With this information, I can hopefully find out the most results and options you have.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM       
You could get some analog speakers as opposed to the probably-digital ones that came with the laptop.

That way, it'd convert the digital sound into analog sound and probably easier to pick up through the mic.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM       
Zero, those speakers can sometimes run alot of money, and unless you know exactly what your looking for. You could end up wasting alot of money. Plus it all depends on his laptop, Sony Vio runs both types for example.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM       
Well I asked the bloody question earlier and he didn't answer as to what model laptop he had.

Besides, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=1-2&seller=

Wow, thirty-five dollars. That's like an arm and a leg.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM       
Zero, he also stated that he did not want to spend more than 10$ fixing it.

Sure, 35$ might not be alot for some of us, but for other's thats ridicolous.

I asked him also, and told him where to find it. It's kinda important.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM       
Don't presume to think you're the only one who cares, ass.

And yeah; it would seem like a lot - to people without a job, that is. I'd like to think that the only spending ten bucks meant that he didn't want to have to sell a kidney for recording equipment and such. It's not like I'm giving him a link to an $800 home theater system. It's just a set of speakers.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM       
I never presumed to be the only one who cared, I am just bouncing off idea's like you.

If he would post back sometime, If he is still having issues. I'm sure between the two of us, we could help him greatly.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM       
but he doesn't want to pick up from the speakers, guys

he needs to have it so that what his mic picks up will play back in his headphones, and therefore be recorded off of the "what u hear" input of the mixer
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM       
I was just going off of what he said.

Anywho, that's actually the best way I can think of doing it.

Otherwise, he'd have to go out of his way to buy actual recording equipment or get one of those Skype recorders.
dipshed
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM       
I did the latter. Sorry guys, thanks for your help.