Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM        Help me decide on a laptop :O
I've been going over these two similar laptop models for a while now and I swear the cheaper one is the better computer (the only real difference is that the more expensive one has vista ultimate edition instead of premium and bluetooth, but maybe I'm overlooking something). Anyway, here they are... lemme know what ya think and if I'm missing something:

Sony VAIO VGN-AR630E:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VCE21A
$1549 (list $1700)

some basic specs:
- Multimedia studio notebook with 17-inch XBRITE-ECO LCD and 1.3-megapixel webcam
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 processor, dual 160 GB 5400 rpm SATA hard drives (320 gigs total), 2 GB RAM (4 GB max), Blu-Ray Disc read (DVD and CD burning)
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); Gigabit Ethernet; Nvidia GeForce 8400M graphics (up to 895 MB of available memory)
- Connectivity: 3 USB, 1 FireWire, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, 1 ExpressCard 34/54. Memory Stick/SD memory card reader

Sony VAIO VGN-AR550U:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RLO2H4
$1699 (list $2499 )

some basic specs:
-Multimedia studio notebook with 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 ("Santa Rosa") processor and 17-inch LCD
-Dual 120 GB 5400 rpm SATA hard drives (240 gigs total), 2 GB installed RAM (4 GB max), dual-layer DVD burner, NTSC/ATSC TV tuners
-Three USB 2.0, one, FireWire, one HDMI output, S/PDIF audio output, ExpressCard 54 card slot, Memory Stick & SD readers
-Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), 10/100 Ethernet, Nvidia GeForce 8400M video card with up to 895 MB of shared memory; Bluetooth
-Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Ultimate (with Premium and Business capabilities)

There are some more technical details on their Amazon.com pages, so check those out cuz maybe I'm overlooking something. But from what I can tell, the cheaper one has a faster processor, more hard drive space and it can play blue-ray discs. The more expensive one has vista ultimate and bluetooth, but a slower processor and less hard drive space (oh and this one apparently comes with a remote control and an IR receiver... you know, because people use remote controls for computers they keep on their LAPS all the time). So yeah, I'm leaning towards the cheaper one because it seems to be a better computer overall... am I wrong?

Also, how much should I truly FEAR vista? :P
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Also, how much should I truly FEAR vista? :P
If you have a dog, it will rape it. Also, Microsoft has admitted that SP1 will not solve any issues and may cause a few more. Just stick with XP.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:44 AM       
My friends have it on their sub-$1000 laptops and they say it runs very well. Hardcore gaming isn't really Vista's forte on laptops. But, if you aren't transcoding high definition video, I wouldn't think it'd matter. I couldn't care less over which, (XP or Vista). They both have their plusses. Vista molds to what you do and pre-caches some of the more frequently used files and applications. The biggest problem I see is hard drive usage. I think a minimum installation can go upwards of 10 gigs (?). By the way, Vista Ultimate is 64-bit instead of the 32-bit, so it uses memory smarter. That's the best way I can describe it. It goes faster, is what I am trying to say.

The cheaper one does look like your best bet. It's odd. I don't buy laptops seriously anymore, though, so don't take it from me. If I had a similar budget, I'd get this:

Amazon.com: Sony Vaio VGN-UX380N

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-UX380...7700923&sr=8-1

I'm freakin' weird like that, though.
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 01:51 AM       
Vista takes ALOT of getting used to. You will bitch, you will cry, and you will hate everyone for 2 months until you learn ever little goddamn detail they changed. BUT, after all that it's pretty nice! But 2 months of frustration isn't really all that fun. :HEADUPASS
Pickled Patriarch
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM       
Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually decided to go with a higher-end model, the VGN-AR660U which has the nicest screen (XBRITE-HiColor), a faster processor and Vista Ultimate among other things. I'm also gonna upgrade the ram to 4 gigs instead of 2. Might as well since it only costs about 40 bux for the extra 2 gigs. Should work out to be a real nice portable desktop replacement when it's all said 'n done. Take a gander at it and lemme know whatcha think.

And Fathom, I've seen those ultra-portables before and while it is neat they can cram so much into something that small, it'd hardly be useful for typing up large articles, doing design work and video-editing - which is what I'm getting this new computer for heheh
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM       
Don't worry about Vista. If you're buying it with a new machine you're unlikely to have any problems whatsoever. Most of the vocal Vista haters are just pissed off that they need to upgrade their 5 year old machine or pissed off that Microsoft have the audacity to release a brand new operating system with a few minor problems, the majority of which most people won't even notice.

Either way, the positives of Vista far outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

I'm not sure what confused ZBF for months; everything works in more-or-less exactly the same way. In a lot of cases things are actually far more intuitive and user friendly than XP.
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM       
Just all the little things in it. Im not trying to say it's bad, It's actually really good. It's just different is all and it takes awhile to get used to.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
And Fathom, I've seen those ultra-portables before and while it is neat they can cram so much into something that small, it'd hardly be useful for typing up large articles, doing design work and video-editing - which is what I'm getting this new computer for heheh
I totally hear you. Especially about the keyboards which are often little more than thumb-able keypads. The Sony ones are the most powerful of the bunch with the Core Solo processors as opposed to a lot of the Celeron and AMD ones. The screen real-estate, though, (I hate that term), is it's biggest weakness and best selling point.

Props to you for finding a better laptop. I saw Vista Ultimate in a store today, $395. Insane.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM       
Yeah I think it'll be really nice once it's all set up the way I want it 'n all...
Banned
Softix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM       
I'm happy for not seeing in your list something like jetBook. I can't help you to decide between two good Sony products, but at least I can tell you what not to buy.
I hope you can purchase something good.