Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:38 AM       
lolololol
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:21 AM       
where are the pants?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 02:03 AM       
:0 How do you know about the pants?
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:13 AM       
i know lots of things.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM       
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM       

I originally posted this in a pixel art critique forum, didn't get much feedback. I'm finding working with colors is pretty intimidating. While posting this I noticed a discrepancy in brightness due to different backgrounds.

Stuff like this makes me want to go back to doodling in my notebook margins.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM       
What, you don't like the way it looks on grey as opposed to black?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM       
or on RED :bape
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM       
I don't know, it's just a lot of variables to take in. Makes me appreciate the thought that goes into pixel art for actual games.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM       
The response I got at pixelation made me lose interest in this but looking at it now I don't think it looks too bad, I might try to animate it. That may prove to be too ambitious though
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 05:24 AM       
The skull itself looks fine. Not sure what the hell that bottom blue thing is, though, and the red cloak is not quite sure if it wants to be representational or be stylized, so it just looks plain off. There's a "pixel art critique" forum? Link prz
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM       
http://pixelation.wayofthepixel.net/

This forum has this cool feature where when you click on a picture it automatically enlarges letting you get a better look at those sweet pixels.

If you get curious and so you don't have to look for it, the thread I started is called [C+C][WIP]Bacterial Ghost. Actually the critique I got was very similar to what you just offered Grislygus. No one ever guesses the body is supposed to be a single celled organism. I'm not bitching about pixelation by the way. The response I got there was very good, just not very encouraging.
Ancient Mariner
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM       
Using a reference for that bacterial section would help, then. It's a simple form, combining it with a flat pixelized style means that it's going to be seen as "the red bit".

Another problem is that when people think "bacteria" they don't envision what a bacteria actually looks like. A combination shape inspired by a mitochondria and golgi apparatus may help. I'd cut off the skull and slap it on a new shape.
Ancient Mariner
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM       
Jesus, those guys are doing pro work. Of course you're just going to get a "total overhaul" critique, I thought it was just some sort of hobby thing. The idea behind getting a critique is to get help fixing problems that you already know about and become aware of problems that you didn't. The only time anyone ever says "it's really good" in a critique is when they don't give a shit and aren't interested in helping you

EDIT: After pouring over the forum, I notice that a lot of the posters are annoying pissants. Pay extremely close attention to anything that "EyeCraft" or "Olothontor" says. Other than that, take advice if it sounds good and remember that you're not on their level. If you let superior artists help you, you'll get better far quicker than at a naive pace

Last edited by Grislygus : Jul 26th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM       
They sound a lot like Polycount. I really like Polycount, though.
SKATASTIC
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM       
Happy birthday hadas. I was busy.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM       
No worries brother, I know how it goes.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 02:11 PM       
I really dig the giant skull design, Hadas. It looks really nice, but I can't figure out what that red appendage is suppose to be. What is it?
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM       
I'm not telling. When, or if, I fix this you'll know without having to ask.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM       
I'll be waiting for your revised Skull Slug then.