Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM        The RPG Completion Quest: Part Deux
Some of you may remember my previous thread.

Anyway, my goal is to beat lots of RPGs.

Here my list of completed games thus far;

NES

Dragon Warrior 1
Dragon Warrior 2
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3

GameBoy/GBC

Final Fantasy Adventure
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver (kind of)

SNES

Final Fantasy 4 (PSX version)
Final Fantasy 5 (PSX version)
Secret of Mana
E.V.O.
Chrono Trigger (PSX version)
Super Mario RPG

N64
Paper Mario

PSX

Final Fantasy 7

GBA

Golden Sun

PS2

Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
The Bard's Tale
Magic Pengel

PC

Diablo
Diablo II

Games I have yet to play or beat, that I have in my possession;

NES

Mother

GameBoy/GBC

Final Fantasy Legend
Final Fantasy Legend 2
Final Fantasy Legend 3
Pokemon Silver (again)

SNES

Earthbound
Secret of Mana 2
Bahamut Lagoon
Illusion of Gaia
7th Saga

PSX

Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon

GBA

Golden Sun 2
Mario & Luigi
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

PS2

Phantom Brave
Final Fantasy X-2

So, I just beat Kingdom Hearts 2, pumping 86 hours of love into it before the finale came spurting out in glorious release. I loved that game, but I'm sad it's over. If you have a PS2, you owe it to yourself to own this game.

Before that, I'd beaten Bard's Tale. It's a fun enough game with a unique concept and funny moments. But the words "not enough" fit this game very well. The battles got tedious after a while, as did the frequent load times. The humor was good, but wasn't frequent enough. And the game was short (a good thing in its current incarnation). I would love to see a balls-out hilarious RPG, though.

What I'm playing now is Magic Pengel, and it is painful. A GREAT concept (draw creatures and fight with them), but it screams of a poor J-RPG. Right down to the horrendous dialogue (and even worse voice acting OH MY GOD the person who voiced Taro needs to die in a fire). Your Doodles increase in stats and abilities the more you draw on them, and you can draw more and use more part types when you fight in "official" battles. Problem is this usually means that you'll be redrawing your Doodles a few times. Hmm... I'll use this Hard pallette part to draw a weapon in his hand. Oh, now I have the Weapon pallette part 6 battles later. Time to redraw from scratch.

You can't pick and choose what parts to undo, so you have to keep undoing everything you've drawn in order, up to where you want to continue from. Sometimes, it's just better to start all over with your increased color usage and new parts. If you delete AND redraw without leaving the menu, your revised Doodle won't lose their experience. Not that experience even matters; You gain a hit point or two every now and then, but that's it.

Thankfully, this also appears to be short. I'm not even going to bother getting any of the bonus items (You can get an encyclopedia page or some shit if you get 1million gold).

Discuss RPGs, and recommend others for me to play, or what you think I shoudl play next. Ask me about the ones I've beaten (Does Golden Sun suck? Very much so.) Keep in mind one thing though - I will not play any Dragon Warrior games ever again.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM       
The absence of PC games puzzles me.

I don't really know any good console RPGs outside that list of yours. I know a lot of bad ones though.
Mocker
camacazio is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM       
Phantasy Star Anything
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Melvin
The absence of PC games puzzles me.

I don't really know any good console RPGs outside that list of yours. I know a lot of bad ones though.
I don't really have space on my PC right now to install games. I was thinking of getting Neverwinter Nights Platinum, though.

I've beaten both Diablos. Adding those to my list.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM       
I never really liked Neverwinter Nights, altough im a big fan of Baldurs Gate. :/

oh, and Fallout 1 & 2 are both amazing games, but im sure you're familiar with them.

Deus Ex is great too. The first one.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM       
You should try the Wild Arms games, Especially the first one (or the Remake Alter Code F). It has a great storyline and Great Gameplay (eventough it has been years since i have played it). Its on the playstation.

Then there is the Lunar Series (Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue). They are really good, altough a bit easy. Its on the Sega CD and the Playstation.

Brainlord, not really great but its there. SNES

Azure Dreams, its a weird Dungeon Crawler, Altough Rare. Playstation.

Thousand Arms. A cross Between Japanese Dating Sim and Traditional RPG. A lot of fun, if you have the patience. Playstation

Chrono Cross, not as good as chrono trigger, but its not bad. Playstation

Grandia 1+2. These Games Are pretty good, good if you like Japanese RPG's like I do. Grandia 1 is on the Saturn and the Playstation and Grandia 2 is on the Dreamcast, Playstation 2 and the PC.

The First Legacy of Kain Game (Blood Omen 1) is a lot like the Original Zelda Game. So I consider it an RPG.

Also Try Chrysalis for the GameBoy Color.

You Also MUST play the Shin Megami Tensei/Megaten series, It kicks ass and there are more of them than Final Fantasy.

Then there are the Star Ocean Games, you should Try them.

I will add more when I think of more I have played.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM       
It's a matter of taste, but I found the Wild Arms series to be fun.

Tales of Phantasia is pretty good, I downloaded a translated English version for my SNES emulator and it played rather well, though it takes quite a bit of getting used to. Thanks to it being a direct fan translation the quirky Japanese stuff is still in there, and I have yet to play another RPG that uses the word "fuck".

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I noticed you have but haven't beaten FFVIII, I'd recommend that, I prefer it over part VII.

Also, if you consider the Legend Of Zelda games semi-sorta RPGish, you can't go wrong with The Minish Cap.
Title
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulhedface
Thanks to it being a direct fan translation the quirky Japanese stuff is still in there, and I have yet to play another RPG that uses the word "fuck".
The Shin Megami Tensei/Megaten Series Has tons of Swearing. As well as Boobs, Blood, And other Bad stuff. Its like Final Fantasy for Adults. Meaning that No Preteen Anime Fans have yet to Fuck it up.

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I noticed you have but haven't beaten FFVIII, I'd recommend that, I prefer it over part VII.
Yes, I think you are in the minority here. I personally hated FF VIII. I bought it for the playstation and Sold it back to the store for Dragon Warrior for the NES (which IS a lot Better). Later this year, I downloaded the PC Version Because I cannot Justify Buying a Game I hate (I downloaded it for a friend who has no Burner).

Also, Give Robin Hood, Prince of thieves for the Nintendo a Shot. I still Play it and it is a lot of fun.

And Little Ninja Brothers.

Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM       
Baldur's Gate 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9
Earthbound
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja
Then there is the Lunar Series (Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue). They are really good, altough a bit easy. Its on the Sega CD and the Playstation.
Except for the fact that they'll run you around eighty buck-aroos in the U.S. But there's no doubt that they're good games.

Speaking of expensive RPGs, what about Valkyrie Profile? Side-scrolling action-rpg action, baby!
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM       
I just remembered, Sweet Home is pretty good.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM       
Because RaNkeri can't read threads, I will now never be playing Baldur's Gate 2.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM       
Terranigma for SNES

That was very funny. Well done.
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM       
I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY WHATSOEVER.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM       
what has prevented you from finishing FF6
Title
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM       
How about Illusion Of Gaia. Im surprised that I just Remembered it.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM       
It's already on the fucking list, maybe? You don't think any of us would've already said that? Read before you post, dumbass.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
what has prevented you from finishing FF6
I used to watch my brother play it back when it was on the SNES as FF3. I watched him beat it. And during that time, I didn't know enough about RPGs to tailor my own group to beat the final boss.

Other replays of the game usually resulted in being later sidetracked by new games that came out - An excuse that also explains why almost every RPG I've played but not beaten has gone unfinished. Right up to playing the Anthologies release of the game.
Fucking Finland
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Because RaNkeri can't read threads, I will now never be playing Baldur's Gate 2.
What do you have against BG2?

It's IMO the only rpg for PC that does NOT turn boring...
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:45 AM       
because EVERY OTHER GODDAMN RPG you listed he's either playing or has played, jerk so he's gonna not play it to spite you
Fucking Finland
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:24 AM       
Ain't the oint of this thread to list the RPG's you've completed?
Title
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM       
Because this Is James' Thread for his RPG Completion Quest. We are just trying to recommend some games for him to try out. It isnt for you to list all the games you have completed.

I now have no respect for RaNKeri.

Fucking Finland
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja
I now have no respect for RaNKeri.
HOLY SHIT! DOES THAT MEAN THERE'S NO REASON FOR ME TO LIVE ANYMORE!?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM       
Neverwinter Nights is a good PC RPG. One of my favorites.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Neverwinter Nights is a good PC RPG. One of my favorites.
Our store has a B1G1 Free sale going on, and I was going to buy that if I could find something to get free. So I decided I'd get a Risk/Axis & Allies 2-pack, but my manager closed the registers before I could buy them.

I was gonna go back there today and buy them, but someone just called asking me to work, so I have to pretend I'm dead until Thursday.

Magic Pengel is a great idea with horrible, horrible execution. The entire world of the game takes place in the following areas;

1) Open feild with a shanty.
2) Docks-like area with a few stands.
3) Busy cluttered marketplace with Engrish signs.
4) Entrance to the main battle arena.

Fighting in the main battle arena improves you standings in the royal tournament, and each battle you win there gets you a new Part Pallete and a level increase to your Pengel (the thing you draw with). You can also do regular battles, which are there for you to collect more color gems, either for drawing or to trade for gold at a 2:1 exchange.

And what's the point of gold? Well, near-everyone has their own Doodles to sell. So if you want, you can buy pre-made ones instead of making your own. Nevermind that the only fun you may really have is drawing your own guys, but the pre-mades suck and you'll just be messing with them anyway. You can also buy different paintbrushes (thin, square, very thick), but most of the time you'll stick with the standard brush anyway. Really, the only reason to worry about money is to get some secret item in the game that probably sucks anyway.

Story sucks too. Two little kids live in shanty and the government wants to take the land and they are EEEEEEVILLLLL. The dad is dead but the kids refuse to believe it and a Doodle shows up made by their dad and he tells them he's dead and they still don't believe it. All told through needlessly long cutscenes that take place after each tournament battle, with awkward music and grating voice acting.

There's also a moment where you need to turn 4000 Blue Gems into medicine for a Doodle that got sick somehow for some reason out of nowhere. Which I wish I had known before I sold my gems for gold. So I spent the next hour doing regular battles, hoping the gems I would be awarded would be Blue Gems. And you know what? My first regular battle after scrounging up enough gems? I win 6000 Blue Gems. Fuck you, Magic Pengel.

Thankfully, the game appears to be short. If I didn't bother with regular battles to get gold to buy paintbrushes, I might have finished this entire game in about 10 hours.

But the game had so much promise. Draw your own guys to fight with, where each color, size, and shape determines stats and attacks? That's pretty fucking awesome. On the other hand, that means you can't always make something you WANT, because it may not result in a capable fighting... thing.

Once I redo my Doodles (suck), I should take some shitty off-the-tv pictures to show here.