Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM        Dark Tower series
so is it any good? i've heard very mixed things. but many people seem to agree that the later books are pretty bad
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM       
The first four are outstanding, and the first is the very best. V, VI and VII were roundly disappointing. You can almost hear King saying "Let's get this the hell over with" as you read it.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM       
I like seeing all of his books tying together. Besides, I've always seen King as very enjoyable, not sheer genius, so I'm not very critical.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:10 PM       
I'd always stayed away from this series because it seemed really long and I didn't want to start reading one and then just lose interest....BUUUUUUUT I recently found out that Randal Flagg from The Stand is in it and I have renewed interest. I downloaded the comics that just came out to tide me over until I get around to digging around in the boxes of books in the storage room. I'm pretty sure my parents had the first few.

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM       
I've read every book up until the last few hundred pages because I don't want to get to the ending.

I didn't like IV too much because it was all about backstory and crap that it really made no difference to know.

I guess this is King's magnum opus. A LOT of things are tied up in the book that relate to King's other books, I was suprised at how attention was paid to even the smallest connections between the books and Hearts in Atlantis, especially.

Besides, I think it's in comic book form now, anyway. I haven't read them, but I need to.

I think you should read them, though my opinion might not count for much.
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
I didn't like IV too much because it was all about backstory and crap that it really made no difference to know.
I hear people say that all the time. I do recognize that it's a free country, and you are entitled to your completely wrong opinion. I think Wizard and Glass was one of the most important books in the series, because it explains how Roland's quest began, and how he came to be the way he is. Roland would have seemed a lot more hollow a character had this book not been part of the story. He wasn't born a Gunslinger, he was made one through indoctrination and loss of innocence. To not have included his childhood and adolescence would have left a big hole in the tale.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM       
I barely remember anything about his childhood. All I remember was this old woman feeling that girl up and taking the glowing Black Thirteen or whatever out of the floorboards. That's what I based my knowledge on.

I should go back and read the whole damn thing.
Banned

Womti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucks
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky View Post
The first four are outstanding, and the first is the very best. V, VI and VII were roundly disappointing. You can almost hear King saying "Let's get this the hell over with" as you read it.

the fourth one made me nervous with the stupid trains and all, then I see the next on titled "wizard and glass", whch I attempted to read, only because I couldnt find anymore king books. it started off by taking the story away from roland? FUCK YOU STEPHEN
Will chop you good.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM       
Your title is apt. Wizard and Glass, which is the fourth book, is pretty much exclusively about Roland.
Banned

Womti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucksWomti sucks
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM       
doesnt it start off following some lady? I dont know, I didnt read it
AlliSabbah is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM       
I thought the series started out great but as you went along it just got worse and worse. Very disappointed in Randall Flagg and the whole ending in general.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:18 PM       
Ditto, the first was a favorite of mine for quite some time but as the books got progressively worse, I lost interest in the series completely.

I saw The Mist yesterday, it starts with a gentleman painting a poster for a fictional 'The Gunslinger' movie.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM       
Randall Flagg, what a joke.

A massive badass taken down by a telepathic baby.
AlliSabbah is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM       
I think King needs to redeem himself by making another book strictly about Flagg. Have him just go around through all the main characters of Kings books causing chaos.
Member (haw haw, scrotum)
terrva is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM       
I loved it until the book six (Song of Susannah) until i lost interest. It's all about, in my opinion, the most uninteresting character, or characters if you want to be specific, in the series. I just never was able to relate to her.

The series also needed more Maine.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM       
I've been trying to get into this book series but I keep hearing awful things about the latter books that bring to mind King's own issues with life that came up with that godawful and near-forgotten 'On Writing' book that was put out back a decade or so ago. No offense, but if you're going to include your own recent history in a novel, make it interesting. And sure as hell don't sideline a 'magnum opus' with it, whatever you do.
Forum Virgin
chemquat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM       
i recently finished the series, and i loved it. most of it. wizard and glass, where they tell roland's backstory: boring as hell. it took me over a month to finish it, b/c i kept finding all these other books and things i wanted to read more, like the year-old issues of good housekeeping that this old lady puts in our mailbox.

i thought that king including himself in the series and giving himself such an important role was a little cocky, but this dude has written so many books and short stories that people just eat up i can forgive him for getting a case of the big head.

people call the ending lame, but i like it b/c there's no way i could have predicted it. it was sort of anticlimactic, but i spent so many months reading those 7 books that there was pretty much nothing he could come up with that would have surpassed the pleasure i had while reading them.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM       
Danse Macabre was better than On Writing.
Forum Virgin
Bad_JuJu is probably a spambot
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM       
I really enjoyed the series. I recommend it. Book 6 was the big letdown for me and the ending isn't the best but it was a great story and I feel that King really did a nice job with it. It was very original and the characters are well developed. If you like King, you will like it. If you anything about his writing bothers you, stay away, as it is the epitome of his writing style and you can't get away from the fact that he wrote it.
I haven't read any of the comics or anything.
Scruffy drunken Brit
Fat Ugly Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:34 AM       
I like the whole series.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM       
The only one of Stephan King's books I really enjoyed was Cell. I think this is more because he got straight to the action. In most every other book of his I've read, it's kind of like he has short story material that he drags out forever and ever. Especially Pet Semetary.
Forum Virgin
Gilgongo is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM       
Read a bit of this and enjoyed it. I was considered buying the later books but if they're disappointing then maybe I'll pass.
Acrid Cloudburst
Forte is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM       
I'm reading the last book, and honestly I'm having trouble getting through it. It's a bore in some spots. The first 4 books were awesome, V,VI, were entertaining, but not as good. I do have the updated set (rather than the originals) but I hear not much was changed or added.
Forum Virgin
MartinSargent is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM       
I love The Dark Tower series. And I'm gonna have to disagree with people who say the last few books weren't any good.

I loved em. Roland is such a great character.
After reading those books I so want to get a powerful revolver.

I heard JJ Abrams is gonna make these into movies. They could be great if done right, but I'm sure they'll fuck em up.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM       
Eli Roth is helming Cell.