Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM        blockbuster 1 dollar dvd rental box

Saw this at a local food store. First blockbuster steals an idea of mail in dvd rental from Netflix. Now they've stolen the idea of dvd rental box from Redbox. Bunch of money grubbing chiselers.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM       
If they're gonna stay alive, they gotta adapt to the changing market.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM       
Competition is a good way to get a business to offer better prices/deals.

Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM       
more power to 'em.
the axe and the smasher
robo_rob is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:17 PM       
If they have a good selection and are as readily available as Redbox, I'd give it a spin.
With More Yes Than Ever
DougClayton4231 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM       
I heard that about 300 stores are going to be closing this year due to the shitty economy. They better try everything they can.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy View Post

Saw this at a local food store. First blockbuster steals an idea of mail in dvd rental from Netflix. Now they've stolen the idea of dvd rental box from Redbox. Bunch of money grubbing chiselers.
To play Devil's Advocate (and yeah, I work at Blockbuster, and I'm aware it's heavily in debt, but that's neither here nor there, it's just how I make money), sure, Blockbuster may have stolen the idea for mail-ins and kiosk rentals, but you can just as easily turn that around and say Redbox and Netflix stole the idea of rental in the first place. And, as an aside, I don't want to hear anything about 'money grubbing chiselers' when A: the Blockbuster kiosk is apparently renting at the same price as Redbox (and why aren't they chiselers?) and B: I've seen several people who've lapsed in rental habits for years, try again when they learn about Redbox, promptly get ripped off because you can't argue with machines, and end up... happily becoming one of my customers again. What Redbox may not tell you is that yeah, their customer service is nonexistant, and despite working for Blockbuster, even I've used the Redbox... until they refused to take my movie back because the kiosk was full, so I take it to the Redbox across the st

Sorry to get defensive, but despite loving my job, I hear this shit at least once a day, ie "Redbox gonna put you out of business yet?" (Yeah, maybe, thanks for coming in, giving me your money, and THEN telling me we're failing. Ironic customer is ironic) and "They're really desperate, huh?"

Um, yeah, maybe so. But to say Blockbuster stole an idea is bullshit strawman garbage when the other companies stole the whole business model (renting movies to people.) I'm realistic about Blockbuster's problems (and in fact, despite the fact my store does well, I don't put it out of mind that I may need to find a new job in the next 5 years or so) but despite their debt, even anti-Blockbuster articles tell you it's still the number one DVD rental chain.

Leave it at face value, because that's all it is: Blockbuster is trying to compete and stay competitive. Did you accuse iTunes of stealing an idea because the record companies are failing when people can download a gig of songs absolutely free and they did something to compete?

Again, I apologize for getting defensive, but I hear this shit way too often, and in person, it's always condescending in tone (yeah, your competitor is putting you out of business, I say, while I hand you money).
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy View Post

To play Devil's Advocate (and yeah, I work at Blockbuster, and I'm aware it's heavily in debt, but that's neither here nor there, it's just how I make money), sure, Blockbuster may have stolen the idea for mail-ins and kiosk rentals, but you can just as easily turn that around and say Redbox and Netflix stole the idea of rental in the first place.

Sorry to get defensive, but despite loving my job, I hear this shit at least once a day, ie "Redbox gonna put you out of business yet?" (Yeah, maybe, thanks for coming in, giving me your money, and THEN telling me we're failing. Ironic customer is ironic) and "They're really desperate, huh?"

Um, yeah, maybe so. But to say Blockbuster stole an idea is bullshit strawman garbage when the other companies stole the whole business model (renting movies to people.) I'm realistic about Blockbuster's problems (and in fact, despite the fact my store does well, I don't put it out of mind that I may need to find a new job in the next 5 years or so) but despite their debt, even anti-Blockbuster articles tell you it's still the number one DVD rental chain. I've seen an influx of people come back into my store because Redbox ripped them off. I WORK at Blockbuster and I rented at Redbox... until the day their machine decided not to take my return back because it was full. So I go to the Redbox across the street (as opposed to the kiosk outside the gas station across the street from THAT, and the three Redboxes in the parking lot a block further down) and return it THERE, and STILL have Redbox charge my credit card for the movie. Customer service? Not unless staying on the phone with robots for three hours, getting to talk to a human after those three hours, and basically being told I was fucked are good customer service.

Leave it at face value, because that's all it is: Blockbuster is trying to compete and stay competitive. Did you accuse iTunes of stealing an idea because the record companies are failing when people can download a gig of songs absolutely free and they did something to compete?

Again, I apologize for getting defensive, but I hear this shit way too often, and in person, it's always condescending in tone (yeah, your competitor is putting you out of business, I say, while I hand you money).
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM       
Not to burst your bubble or anything but I was renting movies from mom and pop video stores before blockbuster opened.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM       
Not that I have a problem with Blockbuster or their rental machines. You get with the times or you get out of business.
With More Yes Than Ever
DougClayton4231 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM       
Are there any real competitors left at brick and mortar stores? I heard that Hollywood Video bit the dust but I don't know if they were the only ones around.
Esq.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM       
it's the chicken and the egg really.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM       
Hollywood Video got absorbed by Movie Gallery, I think. And yeah, renting movies from stores is for chumps. I either download or rent from on demand services.

That was very funny. Well done.
Esq.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM       
I usually just borrow movies from my friends after they watch them, then tell my friends that I already gave them the movie back when they ask for it.
the axe and the smasher
robo_rob is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM       
Yeah, it was all mom n pop rental stores (with the occasional grocery store) until Blockbuster came and ran them out. Hollywood Video seemed to really give them a run for the money for a while there until Netflix and Redbox came and started really being a threat.

I really hope Blockbuster comes around, not just for Skullface's sake, and not just for the sake of the others who are loosing their jobs, but also for the ones who prefer going into a video store than picking from a list online or a thumbnail on a kiosk.

Man, how many awesome movies have been watched thanks to wandering around and looking at the video boxes?