Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM        Colbert Announces Presidential Bid
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Colbert for President!

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...idate-colbert/

October 17, 2007, 2:06 pm Candidate Colbert

By Jacques Steinberg

Stephen Colbert — who announced plans to run for the presidency, at least in South Carolina, on his Comedy Central show Tuesday night — is apparently serious enough that his staff reached out to the state’s Democratic and Republican committees in advance of his announcement.

Joe Werner, executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party, said that a representative for Mr. Colbert, who was raised in Charleston, called three weeks ago to request basic information about filing dates and other requirements. Mr. Werner added, “From what I understand, he does have credible people down here, working to have him placed on the ballot.’’

Katon Dawson, the chairman of the state Republican Party, said his office had also received a call from Mr. Colbert’s staff — on Tuesday. The call came just hours before Mr. Colbert taped his own show (in which he said he hoped to run as both a Democrat and Republican) as well as a teaser to his announcement that appeared on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,’’ which leads into “The Colbert Report.’’

Mr. Dawson, though was far more dismissive of Mr. Colbert’s apparent intentions than his Democratic counterparts. “My advice,’’ he said in a telephone interview, “is that he could probably have more fun buying a sports car and getting a girlfriend.’’

In a surprise appearance on Mr. Stewart’s show just after 11 p.m. on Tuesday, Mr. Colbert arrived on the back of a bicycle piloted by someone in an Uncle Sam costume. After propping up his feet on a hay bale and cracking open a bottle that looked like beer, Mr. Colbert, in character as a conservative blowhard, told Mr. Stewart that he was considering a run.

But on his own show, which began at 11:30 p.m., he declared in the midst of a cascade of red, white and blue balloons: “After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call.’’

How far Mr. Colbert is willing to go — and why exactly he is doing this, beyond stoking interest in his show and a new book, “I Am America (And So Can You)’’ — was not at all clear. He did not return messages left with various publicists this morning.
But assuming he is serious, what would Mr. Colbert have to do to get on the Democratic ballot in the South Carolina primary, which is expected to be held on Jan. 26?

“Well, there’s two ways,’’ Mr. Werner said. “The first is you pay a $2,500 filing fee. And if you can’t afford to do the $2,500, you can gather 3,000 signatures.’’

And time, at least for now, is on his side. Those seeking a claim on the state’s 54 delegates to the Democratic Convention can start to file their paperwork on Monday, and will have until Nov. 1 to complete the process.

In considering any application, Mr. Werner said, the state Democratic committee would seek evidence that a candidate intended to “actively campaign’’ in the state. But when asked if there was a specific definition, Mr. Werner said: “No, there’s not. There is a definition of campaigning set forth in the rules and bylaws of the Democratic National Committee. We probably could refer to that if we needed to.’’

Mr. Colbert would also need the blessing of the nearly 20 members of the executive council of the South Carolina Democratic Party. And that could pose a problem — if Mr. Colbert went ahead with his apparent intention to seek a line on both the Democratic and Republican ballots.

“I don’t believe you can do that,’’ Mr. Werner said. “If he is looking to be a candidate for the Democratic nomination, I don’t believe we can allow him to be on the ballot if he is actively seeking Republican delegates to the convention.’’

But what if Mr. Colbert decided to throw in his lot solely with the Democrats? Provided Mr. Colbert met all the other requirements, Mr. Werner said, “our executive council would have a hard time not putting him on the ballot.’’

“Stephen has an incredible following,’’ Mr. Werner said. “I’m a fan of the show.’’

However dismissive Mr. Dawson may be about Mr. Colbert’s plans, he said that he did not believe the Republicans could stop him from seeking both Republican and Democratic delegates.

“There is nothing in our filing that would prohibit him from running on both ballots, if he chose to pay the filing fees,’’ Mr. Dawson said.

And what is that fee? A steep $35,000, said Mr. Dawson.

“The great thing about America,’’ Mr. Dawson said, “is if you can meet the constitutional requirements to run for president of the United States, you can do so. In Mr. Colbert’s case, we look forward to his paying the filing fee before Nov. 1.’’
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM       
I'm really, really hoping that he takes this as far as he can.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM       
I love Stephen Colbert and all, but this just seems stupid to me. The inordinate amount of support he's going to get is only going to prove that the presidential race is a popularity contest, which we all knew anyway
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM       
I honestly think Colbert and Stewart are better fit to run the country than most of our candidates anyway.

Besides, the state of the union address would be awesome.

And the debates!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM       
A.) I think this sort of satire does a great service to overall political truth.

B.) I doubt very much he'll get an inordinate, or even statistically significant amount of support in actual votes.

C.) Getting on the ballot in most states is not an easy thing to do

Anybody care to take bets on which candidate, kingmaker or spokesperson gets publicly angry with him first, or better yet, accuses him of making a mockery of our political system?

And side bets on who HERE thinks this is ill advised or unfunny.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM       
Its going to strike up a lot more interest is a what seems to be a rather lackluster race.

If Comedy Central foots the bill for his application fees (what would that be compared to their usual advertising budget?), I really don't see a downside for him.

And you can't make a mockery of the current election process anymore than...well the current election process.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 02:12 AM       
The registrars of South Carolina are really pissy about how he registered as both a Democrat and a Republican. They're all 'well, you CAN do that technically but LET'S BE SERIOUS HERE GUYS'.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM       
I said support, not votes. Just clarifying. He's got a cult following of devoteds and certainly we'll be seeing Colbert/Stewart bumper stickers plastered on every lamp post and rusty Ford Taurus in the country, right on top of the Ron Paul ones.
Mocker
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM       
Out of those three, Ron Paul makes me laugh the most. Then, I get scared because he isn't playing a character.

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM       
Ron Paul also makes me upset and makes me laugh.

However, a satirist running for President is just a waste of everybody's time and taking things too far. Besides, I never liked Colbert as his role is literally just walking about as a strawman.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM       
I thought that was your role here, but you don't come around enough.

The village idiot post is still open, but only if you can make a commitment.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank View Post
I thought that was your role here, but you don't come around enough.

The village idiot post is still open, but only if you can make a commitment.
I think that I would take as much but it is going to take a lot of commitment to fill such a role.

Also, I do nto feel like an idiot...

You know, Socrates did say that the man who is truly wise is the man who knows tha the knows nothing.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:37 AM       
Name-dropping of dead Greeks aside, my guess is that if you actually read Plato's Apology and comprehended what it was expressing you'd shit yourself so badly you'd die of internal bleeding.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM       
Actually, I think KK is the perfect example of a Soldier Class mentality. That's a totally other dead greek, but what the hell.
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:11 AM       
HE DOESN'T REALLY NEED TO GET ON THE BALLOT IN ANY STATE, YOU CAN WRITE IN WHOEVER THE HELL YOU WANT

I WILL VOTE FOR COLBERT, THE REAL PERSON I WAS GOING TO VOTE FOR WILL JUST HAVE TO WIN WITHOUT ME.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:28 AM       
Soldier Class sounds good to me.

Name dropping of dead Greeks? Well, Socrates said that and it comes off as respectable to me.

I am not that interested in Greek philosophy, not that interested in Aristotle. Perhaps I should read it to become as well of a rounded person as Sethomas though.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM       
Are you still vomiting on women in Korea?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM       
I have stopped drinking that much. I have not vomitted from drinking in a long time.

HOwever, I am still in Korea.

I am living a far more Christian life and I do not become intoxicated from drinking. I am no longer a drunkard and I do not believe in acts of violence unless it is self-defense. I live by my ideals, now, Kev.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:32 PM       
Do you still film your acts of self-defence?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM       
Haha, no.
Little Monster
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM       
For anyone who still cares...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071101/...colbert_ballot

Colbert won't appear on SC ballot
By JIM DAVENPORT, Associated Press Writer 22 minutes ago

South Carolina Democrats squashed Stephen Colbert's fanciful White House bid on Thursday.

Colbert, who poses as a conservative talk-show host on the Comedy Central cable network, filed to get on the ballot as a Democratic candidate in his native South Carolina. His campaign paid a $2,500 filing fee just before the noon deadline, said state Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler.

However, after about 40 minutes of discussion by top party officials, the executive council voted 13-3 to keep the host of "The Colbert Report" off the ballot.

"He's really trying to use South Carolina Democrats as suckers so he can further a comedy routine," said Waring Howe, a member of the executive council. And Colbert "serves to detract from the serious candidates on the ballot."

But state Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter told the committee Colbert could showcase the state "in a way that none of the other candidates on the ballot have been able to do."

"I think you're taking this a little too seriously," she said.

When Colbert announced his candidacy on his show last month, he said he would run only in this key primary state. He said then he planned to run as a Democrat and a Republican — so he could lose twice.

The GOP filing fee is $35,000; the deadline was Thursday night.

Democrats say he will get his $2,500 back.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM       
Crap. At least he'll be able to squeeze an endless supply of righteous indignation out of it.
Mocker
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM       
So which is worse: the $35k the Republicans are charging, or the ass kissing the Democrats require? Not that I don't think the GOP doesn't require ass kissing.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM       
Politics is serious business.
Little Monster
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM       
I think Colbert should just form his own party, then run. How about "The Party of Truth"?