Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:36 PM        Saddam issues decree banning WMD
Does it matter what they do or say anymore?
Is it just me or is this report being buried?
sure we can't trust Saddam but how much time should we give him to follow through on this?

the United States said it placed no value on the decree.

f*&king Great if Saddam means it(yea, i know theres a problem "knowing" what saddam means) and we go to war we will all know exactly why we are killing iraqis again.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ree/index.html

Saddam issues decree banning WMD
Friday, February 14, 2003 Posted: 2:10 PM EST (1910 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has issued a decree banning the importation and production of weapons of mass destruction.

While the decree bans individuals and companies from importing or producing chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, it makes no mention of government or state-run entities. The Iraqi government insists it possesses no such weapons.

The order came a few hours before U.N. weapons inspectors reported to the Security Council on Iraq's compliance with the U.N. resolution to disarm. (Full story)

Saddam made the order after meeting his top officials Friday, and shortly before convening an extraordinary session of the Iraqi parliament.

"All ministries should implement this decree and take whatever measures are necessary and punish people who do not adhere to it," said the presidential order.

The decree goes some way to meeting a key condition in the U.N. resolution, and could be considered a timely and important step, CNN's Nic Robertson said.

However, the United States said it placed no value on the decree.

"It is impossible to place any credibility in the laws, so-called laws, of a totalitarian dictatorship," said White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

"If one would want to make believe and pretend that Iraq was a democracy that would pass meaningful laws, it would be 12 years late and 26,000 liters of anthrax short; it would be 12 years late and 38,000 liters of botulism short, and it would be 12 years late, 30,000 unfilled chemical warheads short."

Mohamed ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, was more optimistic in his report to the Security Council, calling the decree a "step in the right direction for Iraq."

Chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix, speaking ahead of ElBaradei at the Security Council, said he had not yet reviewed details of the decree.

Also on Friday, Saddam's deputy prime minister, Tariq Aziz, was urged by Pope John Paul II to take "concrete steps" to comply with the United Nations. The pair met at the Vatican. (Full story)