Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM        House Dems ditch Kerry
http://www.thehill.com/news/031704/kerry.aspx

Some Dems to run away from Kerry
By Hans Nichols

A handful of House Democrats who look vulnerable in November’s election, plan to run away from their party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), and will not endorse him.

The holdouts are a minority of the 17 “frontliners” selected by the party leadership for member-to-member cash infusions, but their attitude reflects varying levels of comfort with how the New England senator will play in their districts.

A majority of frontliners, including those who are from conservative districts carried by President Bush in 2000, and have slim majorities, plan to campaign with and for Kerry.

But, regardless of their formal position on Kerry, most vow to run “independent campaigns.”

Several lawmakers, including Reps. Rodney Alexander (D-La.), Allen Boyd (D-Fla.), Jim Marshall (D-Ga.), Jim Matheson (D-Utah) and Dennis Moore (D-Kan.) have told The Hill they do not currently plan to endorse Kerry.

Alexander, who late last week denied he was considering switching parties, wrote to union supporters, stating: “I’d like to clarify. I will not be endorsing any candidate, including President Bush.”

Moore said he is leaning against endorsing Kerry, although he does not expect the presidential circus to run through Kansas, which Bush won overwhelmingly.

“I don’t suspect that I am going to run my campaign in accordance with the Democratic nominee,” Moore said. “I am going to run my campaign without regard to what the nominee does. They don’t have long coattails in Kansas.”

Boyd’s Florida district, which Bush carried with 53 percent, is expected to see some of the heaviest presidential traffic in the country. But the fourth-term lawmaker told The Hill that he remains undecided about endorsing Kerry. “At some point, we’ll meet individually,” said Boyd.

“You would want to get an assurance personally on how he’s going to run,” he added.

Through spokesmen, Marshall and Matheson said they have no plans to endorse Kerry. Both Georgia and Utah are expected to vote heavily for Bush.

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said: “Frontliners are going to do what they have always done, which is run their own races to win.

“I don’t think Kerry is going to play particularly well in some frontline districts.

“[But] Kerry is going to coordinate with all of the campaigns.”

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) chairman Bob Matsui (D-Calif.) said vulnerable lawmakers will be accorded ample leeway to determine just how closely they ally their campaigns with the presidential nominee.

“They are pretty much going to run their own campaigns,” said Matsui.

Echoing the hopes of some frontliners, Matsui argued that Kerry’s interest in hunting, along with his Vietnam heroism, has inured him to charges of being soft on defense.

“He said at our caucus [meeting last Wednesday] that he intends to campaign in the South,” said Matsui.

Matsui continued: “I would be more worried if I were a moderate Republican running with this president, who is way too right-wing.”

Rep. Baron Hill (D-Ind.), whose seat Bush won with 56 percent, said: “I’ve endorsed [Kerry]. He’s thoughtful and he’s a war hero. I think that will help me in my district. They can’t paint him as a New England liberal.”

In North Dakota, which Bush won with more than 60 percent of the vote, Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D) has pledged to be a super-delegate for Kerry at the convention.

In Tennessee, which analysts expect to go for Bush by a larger margin than in 2000, Rep. Lincoln Davis (D) said he still plans to endorse his party’s nominee, touting his own record of independence. “I won’t be out-gunned, out-prayed, or out family-ed,” said Davis.

“John Kerry has a pretty good record on a lot of issues, even on states that he isn’t going to carry,” said Rep. Adam Smith, (D-Wash.) an early House supporter of Kerry. “I will be a vocal defender of John Kerry’s centrists credentials.”

In Iowa, which is again emerging as a hotly contested state, Kerry can count on the support of Rep. Leonard Boswell (D). Spokesman Eric Witte said: “They have strong personal bond and a shared history in the Vietnam war. The congressman will do everything he can to help Kerry carry the state and thinks he will.”

The Kerry campaign did not respond to phone calls seeking comment by press time.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM        House Negroes Denounce Bush!
Thought it made a good headline.

Fuck you, I'm drunk. I'll come up with something better tomrrow.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:33 AM       
'a minority of the 17' -now my maths isnt great, but that doesnt sound like a whole lot of people.