Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM        W. meets with Hoover institution
" Bush traveled Friday night to Stanford University, where he met privately with members of the libertarian Hoover Institution to discuss the war. He concluded the day with a private dinner held by George P. Shultz, a Hoover fellow and former secretary of state."
-Washington post.

The Hoover inst. is VERY pro on pre-emptive action againt Iran.

This is Li'l Tommy Sowells stopin' grounds think tank. You may recall him as Vinth's favorite political philosipher after Neil Boortz.
Pharaoh is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:48 AM       
That reminds me, I've got to do the hoovering, and I hate hoovering.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:53 PM       
The Hoover Institution is was also very active on Massachussett's new "universal" healthcare program, and is helping boost for it now... extolling the wonders that are Mitt and Teddy for all to hear throughout conservative-land.

Maybe they're trying to convince Bush to drop your Senator out of an airplane onto Tehran.

...or maybe Dubya wanted to know more about what will surely be a big ol' election discussion: that healthcare thingy...

Wait... Oh, your quote clearly says he met with them to discuss "the war," so that MUST be what happened... even though there's no corroboration for that anywhere...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM       
Well, it's not impossible the Post simply made that up. Their supposed to be a three source newspaper, but then so is the NYT, and look at Judith "WMD" Miller.

I don't know though, Preech, if you don't at least lend slight credence to papers of record (with a grain of salt, but stil) you don't have anything else at all. I'm not ready to ask a magic eight ball what the hell this administration is up to.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM       
Max, are you familiar with Sam Gardiner? He teaches at the Army War College, and he's a former military man himself. He has opposed pretty much every American military action though for like the last 20 years. Anyway, I bring him up cuz he has done a couple of war game scenarios on Iran, and he did one with a class of mine. Scary stuff, particularly when you factor Israel into the whole thing. Anywho, thought you might like to look up his stuff. He's pretty credible, and pretty much shot down every pro-blow up Iran, devil's advocate argument I had.

So what if they were talking about Iran? They probably were. Presidents meet iwth interest groups and advocacy organizations all of the time. I too am worried that Bush will drag us into confrontation with Iran (who may be dragged in by Israel), but I doubt it'll be the Hoover institute that sways him.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM       
The Hoovers are just another facet in the echo chamber. My point is, does he EVER talk with Sam Gardiner (and yeah, I've read his stuff and he scares the crap out of me) or anyone even remotely like him?

My fear is that in arrogance and surrounded by men who reinforce the walls of his bubble, Ol' W may not have even the idea Joe Six Pack has of how bad an idea a strike on Iran would be.

My best hope right now comes from strange quarters. Baker is once more tentatively being allowed within screaming distance of W's inner circle. Granted, his place is to come up with new ideas on Iraq, but having him anyhwere near is a good thing. I Think he's still not a lunatic, and I think he still has the balls to stand up to Cheney if I think he's wrong.

Hows that for altruism? I'm actually praising Baker, whom I loathe, and hoping he helps the Bush administration look better. And all it takes is the looming threat of armageddon to get me to do it.