Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM        Former head of FDA , now lobbyist, may have been for sale
Ex-Head of FDA Faces Criminal Inquiry
By Gardiner Harris
The New York Times

Saturday 29 April 2006

Washington - Dr. Lester M. Crawford, the former commissioner of food and drugs, is under criminal investigation by a federal grand jury over accusations of financial improprieties and false statements to Congress, his lawyer said Friday.

The lawyer, Barbara Van Gelder, would not discuss the accusations further. In a court hearing held by telephone on Thursday, she told a federal magistrate that she would instruct Dr. Crawford to invoke his Fifth Amendment right against compelled self-incrimination if ordered to answer questions this week about his actions as head of the Food and Drug Administration, according to a transcript of the hearing.

Dr. Crawford did not reply to messages seeking comment, and Kathleen Quinn, an F.D.A. spokeswoman, declined to comment.

Dr. Crawford resigned in September, fewer than three months after the Senate confirmed him. He said then that it was time for someone else to lead the agency.

The next month, financial disclosure forms released by the Department of Health and Human Services showed that in 2004 either Dr. Crawford or his wife, Catherine, had sold shares in companies regulated by the agency when he was its deputy commissioner and acting commissioner. He has since joined a Washington lobbying firm, Policy Directions Inc.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM       
everything and everyone is for sale.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:00 PM       
Yes, but my price involves a dozen girl scouts, an Oragutan wearing a huge, papier mache Arianna Huffington mask and a oil drum of Oleo Margerine.