Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:54 AM        How heartless is this?
Long story, but stick with it. *ahem*

I used to work with this nice girl who has been put into a situation that none of us ever want to be in. Her mother is dying of cancer. Well, everyone at my former place of employment feels so sorry for her that they had a bunch of fund raisers for her. My old boss, however, felt differently. He felt that they should stop because they are giving her too MUCH money and attention (which, btw, the cancer COULD be stopped, just with a very VERY expensive operation, and this girl can't afford it on a waitress's pay). He said that the next time someone is in this situation, they won't do nearly as much, and that that isn't fair to everyone else.

Jump forward to this past Saturday. They held a benefit dinner to raise the money for this girl and her mother. It was a great success. Even the mother came to the dinner to see how much we all care about her. Well, that wasn't such a good idea. It was kind of taxing on her, and she got sick yesterday. So sick, in fact, that the girl had to stay home from work. When she called to tell them that she wouldn't be in, that she had to care for her dying mother, can you guess what my old boss did? No, he didn't say "Oh, I'm so sorry, hope everything works out", instead, he said "Oh, well, if you can't come in today, then you're fired." SHE'S FIRED BECAUSE HER MOTHER IS DYING!
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM       
She's better off without that job if her boss is like that. In fact, I'm sure that she could probably sue him for wrongful dismissal over something like this. If her co-workers want to do something for her, then that's their business and should be none of his concern.

All of the other employees should quit if they had any brains, too. All of them. At the same time.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM       
man, someone should beat thay guy to within an inch of his life with a sock full of pool balls. What an asshole.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM       
very heatless, indeedy.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM       
My GAWD. Even Ebenezer Scrooge would have given some leeway. Maybe you can report this to your bosses boss?
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
She's better off without that job if her boss is like that. In fact, I'm sure that she could probably sue him for wrongful dismissal over something like this. If her co-workers want to do something for her, then that's their business and should be none of his concern.

All of the other employees should quit if they had any brains, too. All of them. At the same time.
If only she COULD sue him, but alas, the Darden company makes all employees sign a contract promising NOT to sue them or the management, and I believe that includes if they get fired. Not sure though. I like the idea of everyone quitting at the same time, though. :devilishlaugh
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM       
Quote:
Maybe you can report this to your bosses boss?
yah. go over his head, if there is an over-his-head.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM       
I no longer work for them. I can't do a damn thing. I just hope that she goes to the district supervisor. And all of you, please do your part by boycotting Red Lobster, due to the fact that they have unfair policies that allow stuff like this to happen. My old boss wasn't doing anything that isn't allowed by the company.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM       
She'd be an idiot if she didn't take this to court. She doesn't have to sue him, and even so, fuck whatever contract she was supposed to sign. That can't be valid if the people are actually guilty of something. That's like making someone sign a "You won't turn me in to the police if you find dead bodies in the storeroom" contract.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM       
so what you're saying is, is that fuckery exists.

wait, are we supposed to laugh at this?
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM       
My friend worked at a shanty some time ago. He got sun poisoning on his head when he was too long out in the sun on the beach. He couldn't work because he got too dizzy and got naesuiated because of it.

He tells his boss about this, but he says if he couldn't work that day, he would have gotten fired. It was BS so he quit.

I'm seeing a patern in Seafood bosses.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
She'd be an idiot if she didn't take this to court. She doesn't have to sue him, and even so, fuck whatever contract she was supposed to sign. That can't be valid if the people are actually guilty of something. That's like making someone sign a "You won't turn me in to the police if you find dead bodies in the storeroom" contract.
James is right; The only purpose such a clause has is to make idiots think they're signing their rights away. Only the government really has the authority to do that.

sports is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM       
heartless bastard . I agree with what AChimp said, they should all quit at the sametime.
Lurker extreme
Maverick Zero Unit is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM       
Are we allowed to kill people? If so I say off wih his head. My dad had cancer, in a special place. He's still alive, but it's a scary place to be in your life that your parents or friends or etc., could die. I say we give that horrible man what he deserves. Oh and sue thier asses. if I had money that I could donate to this I would.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 04:23 PM       
Most states are under an "at will" policy as far as firing goes. If that's not a union place, he doesn't have to have a reason for firing her. Even if she tries to files suit, he can make up a whole other reason for her dismissal and the matter would, pretty much, be dropped at that. Heartless and callous and reality.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM       
Normally that would be the case, but she has several witnesses.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:11 PM       
So then, I think that the first step is for her is that she has to go to the unemployment office and ask that here case be reviewed in-panel before and arbriter. After that, I'm not sure how it would proceed. I don't know that I'd spend my money on lawyer fees and courts costs as a first resort.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Crying Baby Jesus is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:28 PM       
I'd burn the boss's house down
Pancakes is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM       
yeah righ youd set your stupid self on friar!

ok play these :*

pissed off salesman is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:37 PM       
Anyone heartless enough to fire someone because of that reason deserved to be flayed alive.
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:31 PM       
Why not just conspire to have everybody fall down on the job, all at once and start a class action suit and offer to drop it if he reconsiders??

We did something like this a couple of years ago and it did wonders to change our boss's mind. Especially since it was his ass on the chopping block.

Raize is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:33 PM       
the employee must be a piss-poor worker if the boss is willing to fire her over this. IMHO, you're all whiny little bitches for getting in a tizzy over it. Additionally, you might be stupid if you continue to work for such a boss.

If my boss pulled that shit on a coworker who I knew was a hard worker and didn't deserve it, I'd start looking for another job right away. Then when their superior asks why you quit, say you didn't like the hostile work environment, specifically mentioning this girl's firing. It's as fucking simple as that.

You gotta keep in mind, if someone gets a job at McDonalds they are expected to work and serve customers. No manager gives two shits about your personal life if they are good manager. As such, if you can't come into work, they should be giving your job to someone else. It's not unsympathetic, it's doing your damn job.

Seriously, do you *WANT* your boss to feign concern for you and your family? I sure as hell don't. My job is my job, my personal life is my personal life. If I run a home business and have to hire one employee to take care of the accounting data I expect him or her to work. Granted, as I get to know them I might alot them more leeway in matters such as this. What it sounds like you're describing is someone that has had multiple issues with not showing up to work or making excuses, and this latest incident, while horrible for her, is the last straw.

Seriously, be honest, how hard does this little bitch work around there? If you've worked for at least a year, you know how to spot the slacker type. You should quit sticking up for the whore and quit defending her in some goddamn forum where you can fsck with the story and make her look like some little angel. She's a slacker and you know it.

I can't believe you dipshits fell for this guy's stupid story. Fucking ninnies.
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 08:48 PM       
So are you taking applications?

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:32 PM       
I can cite a few examples of when bosses 'came down' on people not because they didn't work hard, but because they didn't like them personallty for some reason or another, and this case sounds a lot like one of them. The manager in the story doesn't sound as though his primary concern was making sure the girl worked up to her full potential.

pissed off salesman is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:39 PM       
I hate it when that happens, it's like when you are in elementary school, some dumbass pushes you over in the sand box and makes your first years of school miserable. Several years later, youre applying for a very well paying job and you get fired the first day because it turns out that the dumbass is your bosses son.