FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM       
Pretty much.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:05 PM       
you can't steal material in stand-up comedy.

Also, i know i'll get crucified for this and it's probably hypocritical, but i think Carlin is overrated and boring. He tells these long-ass fucking stories that don't go anywhere O
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM       
Of course you can steal material. It's also pretty fucking pathetic when it happens.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
I really don't know if you were serious or not, material can definatally be stolen. You're not gonna get far without people noticing that your joke has a strikingly similiar premise to someone elses joke. whether it's intentional or not people notice when something is "like" something else. It's kinda like plaigirism at higher levels; it doesn't really happen word for word but ideas are taken.

The only really notable case I can think of is with Dennis Leary and Bill Hicks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_..._of_plagiarism
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM       
http://media.putfile.com/Joe-Rogan-Exposes-Joke-Thieves

That was very funny. Well done.
Out of his element.
DehydratedPorkMan is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM       
Of course you can steal material in stand-up. I was listening to a Bill Hicks album and they both spoke about basically the same suffering conditions in the Gulf War and how it was entertainment. Then he said Carlin's abortion quote.
"Did you ever notice that women against abortion are women you wouldn't wanna fuck in the first place?"
Carlin did change, yes and he does talk longer and he does go on rants, but he doesn't go as far as, say, David Cross (who I still like). If you heard Cross's records they can get pretty preachy.
On a closing note, I have a Steve Martin 78" that I just found at the flea market.

"At that moment an unending stream of traffic crossed over the bridge."
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM       
Quote:
i hate everything that's popular blah blah

he's just overexposed. If he weren't so popular i'm sure you would like him. Did you see his first comedy central special? Now, Stephen Lynch, there's a guy worth hanging :-/
No.

I'm bagging on Dane Cook because he's not fucking funny. Period. I've watched his act, and I've watched that godawful abomination called Tourgasm. He has no jokes. I'm not a comic myself, but it seems to me that if you're in the comedy business, you'd want to keep a few of those on hand.
Out of his element.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM       
Remember that comedians don't really tell jokes. You just have to have the talent of being funny. You weave together stories and small insights and one-liners but no real comedian actually tells just jokes.

For some reason I think Dane Cook sold stand-up out. At least Chapelle had a decent show.

Will chop you good.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM       
No. Comedians most definitely do tell jokes. Jokes are what make comedy, um, funny. It may come across as a story or insight or what have you, but everything about that story is carefully calculated to garner a specific reaction, i.e. laughter. Setup --> Punchline --> hahahahaha. That is a joke. Dane Cook does not have those. He has meandering stories that don't really go anywhere. He says "dude" and "brah" a lot, and gesticulates wildly. That is all.
Out of his element.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
No. Comedians most definitely do tell jokes. Jokes are what make comedy, um, funny. It may come across as a story or insight or what have you, but everything about that story is carefully calculated to garner a specific reaction, i.e. laughter. Setup --> Punchline --> hahahahaha. That is a joke. Dane Cook does not have those. He has meandering stories that don't really go anywhere. He says "dude" and "brah" a lot, and gesticulates wildly. That is all.
Okay, just checking to make sure you didn't imply that comedians tell shit like "A penguin walks into a bar" or the Aristocrats.

I think his Comedy Central bit, aside from saying punching someone in the face (because I love that term) was a big "fuck you" to the comedy spectrum. The worst was when he would fall on the floor and talk to the camera and compare his show to a rock 'n roll show. I think that's what he wants to be, a rock star in the comedy world. Not happening. But you do see it. He's loud, vulgar and stupid, just like a real rock star!

Mocker
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DehydratedPorkMan
Remember that comedians don't really tell jokes. You just have to have the talent of being funny. You weave together stories and small insights and one-liners but no real comedian actually tells just jokes.
Yes they do, they're just so good at it that you can't tell.
Out of his element.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DehydratedPorkMan
Yes they do, they're just so good at it that you can't tell.
Forget it. That's not what I meant, but nobody can see that.

There's a difference between jokes and joke-jokes.

ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM       
go ahead and flog the dead horse. you know you wanna.
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM       
Quote:
Forget it. That's not what I meant, but nobody can see that.

There's a difference between jokes and joke-jokes.
You're absolutely right. And Cook has neither.

I understand what you're saying, Porky. But let's not get sidetracked here. The important thing to keep in mind is that Dane Cook blows. There are millions of people who don't realize this, and it's important to get the message out there.

I would rather watch 36 straight hours of Carrot Top than another 5 minutes of Dane Cook.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM       
EDIT: Crap, missed the boat. IGNORE ME.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:11 PM       
Quote:
A fantastic Stewart Lee bit about Joe Pasquale stealing a joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco
OK
Black Flag is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM       
Quote:
man, i'd really like to hear why you think this
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM       
I liked his first album, too, but I have to admit it has been a while since I last heard it. The second one was pretty flat, though, so I lost interest.

For anyone curious about what jokes he stole, but not so curious that you would look for them yourself, here's a ytmnd that someone made using an MP3 that compared his version of the jokes with Louis CK's:

http://danecookisahack.ytmnd.com/

Also, I saw his SNL monologue the other day and realized that he stole his joke about getting the wrong shoe size from Todd Lynn.

Spengler is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM       
Hilarious impression of Dane Cook.
C:enter:###
SLjimbolian is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM       
George Carlin and Dane Cook don't even belong in the same sentence.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM       
I already said that

I to be honest he has awesome energy on stage and its contagious to the crowd, thats why his act is popular. People have a slight disconnect when the comedian that isn't funny is doing nothing to draw attention. Cook is always moving and falling down and gesturing so you don't notice it as much. But if you just hear him hes a fucking hack. Hes not effective aurally so hes effective visually.
Will chop you good.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:56 PM       
I can understand that he's animated on stage, but even that doesn't hold up. I've only seen him on TV, never just heard a recording. And he still wasn't funny.

The other night, I was over at a friend's house, and his roommate was watching that fuckin' Tourgasm silliness. The part I enjoyed most was watching the three unfunny nobodies that Cook brought out with him. They all walked around with a constant look of dumbfoundedness that seemed to say, "Oh, Jesus, I better milk the fuck out of my fifteen minutes before they figure out I'm not funny." And I KNOW that was the look, because I saw it on Pauly Shore's face back in the 90s.

But I digress. Of the roughly forty-five minutes I watched, approximately three minutes of it was acutal guys on stage, and none of that three minutes was funny. The rest of it was them bickering like whiny prima donna bitches. But what I noticed was the roommate. HE wasn't laughing at it, and I'm pretty sure he was high.

To which my friend replied, "That should be Dane Cook's slogan: 'So Lame, Even Pot Can't Make Him Funny.'"
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM       
I remember laughing my ass off watching him, back in grade 8
Mocker
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
I would rather watch 36 straight hours of Carrot Top than another 5 minutes of Dane Cook.
He was hilarious in Pauly Shore is Dead and Reno911, because he was just a dick about being Carrot Top. He's honestly funny in cameos when he's acting or being full of himself.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM       
I don't think that anyone is trying to make a case for Tourgasm, though. The other commedians on that tour just sucked, and were whiny, especially the fat bald guy. They had him on Tough Crowd a couple times, and he was exactly the same as he was on Tourgasm.

Come to think of it, Dane Cook was on Tough Crowd, too. I don't think he even bothered to say anything, though.