Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:01 PM       
oh and he can't use that video card b/c his motherboard only goes up to 4x and that's a 8
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:07 PM       
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:10 PM       
oh wait in the description it looks like you CAN use it wit a 4x :/

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM       
Yeah it should step down to 4x. most are backwards compatable like certain ram is. building your own is usualy your best bet for getting more out of it. i go to the monthly computer show in my area and im always picking up killer deals. 600 bucks spent in the right place can yeild one kick ass system. nothing like what you would get out of the box. dont pay nobody 50/hr. building computers is easy and fun. then you can start charging 50/hr. (or more )
OH GOD
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:08 PM       
but what if the power supply explodes and you ruin your cousins brand new motherboard and processor and video card
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:25 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoreable
for gaming i would recommend more than that aiw card. unless you plan on using the tv tuner and crap you can get another card that is much faster for the same price.

something like this would blow it away in games.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-362&depa=1

There's a few problems. He won't be able to fully utilize the card since, as Willie mentioned, he's only got a 4X AGP slot. Second, the core speed on the Sapphire is about 140MHz slower. Third, I don't see anything that indicates dual head support on there, but then again, I'm not sure how important using two monitors was to Rongi.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:30 AM       
Quote:
He won't be able to fully utilize the card since, as Willie mentioned, he's only got a 4X AGP slot.
The difference between AGP 4X and 8X is marginal at best. A 9800 would have almost exactly the same performance on a 4X slot compared to 8X.

Quote:
Second, the core speed on the Sapphire is about 140MHz slower.
uhh, slower than what? That card has the standard 9800pro core and memory frequencies and the 256bit memory interface (as opposed to some saphire cards which only have a 128bit interface).

Quote:
Third, I don't see anything that indicates dual head support on there
Well you can actually see on the card the other monitor plug. To use two monitors you simply plug an adaptor into the DVI port on the card and it converts it to a standard monitor connection.

I have almost exactly the same card (but made by Connect3D) and would highly recomend it.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:38 AM       
I agree. The only thing I would be concerned about is how much power the 9800 takes, then again changing out a power supply is quick and easy!
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM       
What Processor are you Running?

I have an overclocked PII i should really look into updaterin
20BG HDD
56xMAX cd drive (I shit you not)
I don't quite remember the make but it runs on the Ragefury pro chipset.

If I had a time machine my comp would be god
Mocker
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia
Quote:
Second, the core speed on the Sapphire is about 140MHz slower.
uhh, slower than what? That card has the standard 9800pro core and memory frequencies and the 256bit memory interface (as opposed to some saphire cards which only have a 128bit interface).
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO/380MHz
vs.
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/525MHz

That's the GPU clock speed.

But I don't know enough about graphics to say that this clock speed really matters. I'm glad you pointed out the difference in memory buses tho. The 9600 only has a 128 bit memory bus, so if I understand correctly, it can process 128 bits faster than the 9800 can process 256 bits. Since it's not at least twice as fast, then the 9800 actually has the higher throughput by a little bit.

Quote:
Quote:
Third, I don't see anything that indicates dual head support on there
Well you can actually see on the card the other monitor plug. To use two monitors you simply plug an adaptor into the DVI port on the card and it converts it to a standard monitor connection.

I have almost exactly the same card (but made by Connect3D) and would highly recomend it.
Yeah, but will that enable multiple desktops or just the same output on two screens? I'm glad someone else is weighing in on this though cuz my knowledge of hardware is certainly not expert level.

Also, I don't know enough about the brands, but getting an actual ATI card vs. a knock-off makes a difference. I know I haven't been thrilled with my Chaintech card, and wish I'd spend the 40 extra bucks to get a more recognized brand. If Saphire has a good rep tho, I'd prolly change my recommendation to that.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:34 PM       
great now i dont know WHAT to get

i wont cry over not being able to do dual monitors. it's more of luxory than a neccesity to me.
Mocker
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:54 PM       
Well, MM has a dual monitor setup, and says he has basically the same card, so I'd trust him if he said it works, you'll just have to buy a little adaptor for your second monitor, assuming it uses a "regular" monitor cable.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:56 PM       
The card will almost certainly come with an adaptor.

When comparing a 9800pro VS 9600XT there is really no contest...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/117/8/

Lots of benchmarks to be seen there and all show more or less the same thing; 9800pro >= 9600XT.

As for the made my ATI vs 3rd part manufacturers there is really no difference. The cards are always essentially the same but often have varying cooling solutions. Sometimes 3rd party manufacturers provide a better HSF but its always good to read a review first and make sure that its not worse than the default one.

Some companies such as Gainward provide additonal functionality in their cards, for example they marketed a watercooled 5900U a while ago.
Their cards commonly have higher clocked memory/core but at a slightly higher price point.
Mocker
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:13 PM       
I'll respectfully disagree with the name brand vs generic argument, but I can't really prove that they're using cheaper RAM modules or whatever.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 09:24 PM       
some third party cards do use slower memory and some 9800s have the 128bit bus instead of 256. As long as the speeds are the same as the retail you should face too many issues.

Generally the thrid party cards are just as good- all things being equal of course.