Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM        Minutemen border patrol
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

I've never had any problems with people legally immigrating to America to work and improve their lives, but sneaking into the country, thus committing a felony immediately upon entry, is unacceptable in my eyes. Illegal immigrants should be sent back to their country of origin without a hearing.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the so-called Minutemen who have volunteered to help the US Border Patrol to prevent illegals from crossing. I very much agree with the spirit of the project, though I think it's sad that it's necessary to have private citizens secure our border when the government should be. I do see possible setbacks with certain types of people joining these Minutemen, such as the possibility of some racist joining so he can attempt to kill a Mexican and justify it, but thus far the project seems to be succeeding in its goal without any major incidents.

So, what do you all think about this?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:24 PM       
Wasn't JBL originally doing this?
Red, dead meat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:26 PM       
I must confess, I've not been keeping up with my WWE recently.

I'm a failure.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:32 PM       
Of what I've heard, every law officer has said that these people are just getting in the way.

Also, if you send em back without a hearing, how do you know they were illegals? That's kinda a bad idea, IMO.
Red, dead meat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM       
You would know immediately because legal immigrants have documentation.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM       
Besides, even if you send a few innocents back, all they have to do is run through the desert and push through the gauntlet of American Gladiators to return to FREEDOM.
Red, dead meat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:41 PM       
Anybody who can survive "The Eliminator" should be immediately made a citizen! Those are the kind of people we want!
AngPur is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore
You would know immediately because legal immigrants have documentation.
"Show us ze papers."

Could you prove you're a legal resident upon request right now?

I find the only people who speak fondly of the minutemen are usually xenophobes or racists. Vigilanties could be put to better work, like bounty hunting or similar, instead of making sure I don't have to ride a bus with José. Heaven forbid! Next he might (gasp!) cut my lawn too!

Anathema is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:59 PM       
They need to keep the border free of these illegals. If they want to get into the country they can go through the proper channels. If the government isn’t going to keep the borders safe, then it might as well be some gung ho patriotic people who want to do the thankless job.
rockets redglare is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:04 PM       
Fucking mexicans aint even brave enough to deal with the government
Red, dead meat!
Quote:
Could you prove you're a legal resident upon request right now?
Yes. It's called a driver's license. If they run it, they'll see that I am. Everyone carries some form of ID on them... or should.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Also, if you send em back without a hearing, how do you know they were illegals? That's kinda a bad idea, IMO.

Well, if they are swimming the Rio Grade and cutting a whole in the fence rather than just going throught the chekpoints, thats a pretty big clue.

I can sympathise with their feelings and illegal immigration is a huge problem, especially in the border states. However, I get kind of nervous thinking this just might turn into vigilante justice.

And I found this
Red, dead meat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:14 PM       
Dear God, she must've been preparing for this hunger strike for a while! She got at least one month of food stored in her haunches alone!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM       
Quote:
Yes. It's called a driver's license. If they run it, they'll see that I am.
And one typically travels around the Rio Grande in a sedan? All pedestrians, non-library goers and whatnot now are not Americans?

Vigilantism is often incompatible with due process.
Red, dead meat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM       
You're being ridiculous. I'm not saying that anyone caught without an ID on their person should be summarily tossed out. People should be given a chance to prove they're either citizens or here legally. If they can't, however, that get the boot. It's that simple.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Well, if they are swimming the Rio Grade and cutting a whole in the fence rather than just going throught the chekpoints, thats a pretty big clue.
I'm not talkin about people caught attempting to enter the country, I'm talking about anyone in the country with brown skin. How bout a hypothetical 15 year old son of legal immigrants, who unfortunately doesn't have a drivers license, doesn't speak English, and can't prove he's a legal citizen on the spot. Should he be arrested on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant? Deported if his parents can't come up with his birth certificate? Wait, if there's no hearing, they don't even get the chance to provide his birth certificate! See what I'm getting at here?

Quote:
I can sympathise with their feelings and illegal immigration is a huge problem, especially in the border states. However, I get kind of nervous thinking this just might turn into vigilante justice.
Even more nerve-wreaking, what happens when the first group of these people catches automatic weapons fire from drug smugglers? It's a very real danger that these people are not even remotely prepared to handle.

pissed off salesman is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:33 PM       
I think that I have the same problem as Carnivore, it's not that some people want to do a job to help their country, but that some racist prick will join just to justify murder, and be considered a "hero" for it.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:34 PM       
Quote:
People should be given a chance to prove they're either citizens or here legally.
We call that a court date.

Anathema is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:38 PM       
So what if they do? Hey they take their chances by trying to sneak over the border. I doubt if anyone’s going to be labeled a hero, the fucking ACLU or whatever other liberal organization will be all over it if some illegal gets a skinned knee let alone killed.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:45 PM       
GRRR, LIBERALS
was never good
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:52 PM       
Yeah, if it was up to red-blooded Americans like me we'd make that border fence electric and deport all the homos to mexico so they can't depress the rest of us. WHO IS WITH ME!
Mocker
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix

I'm not talkin about people caught attempting to enter the country, I'm talking about anyone in the country with brown skin. How bout a hypothetical 15 year old son of legal immigrants, who unfortunately doesn't have a drivers license, doesn't speak English, and can't prove he's a legal citizen on the spot. Should he be arrested on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant? Deported if his parents can't come up with his birth certificate? Wait, if there's no hearing, they don't even get the chance to provide his birth certificate! See what I'm getting at here?

Well, are these guys just patroling the border or are they going through the towns hunting illegals? Because if its the former, your hypothetical really doesn't apply.

And in my experience, that 15 year old would have a better grasp of English than the parents. And isn't a birth certificate something you really need? How does he enroll in school?
was never good
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:01 PM       
There are plenty of places in the US that are non-english-speaking zones; Just because someone is born here doesn't mean they speak the language.

And they'd theoretically have a birth certificate unless they were not delivered in a hospital, which is probably the case for people fearing deportation.
Mocker
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM       
But wouldn't they need that to enroll the kid in school? Or any other basic service we are entitled to?
was never good
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:19 PM       
There are also spanish-only schools. Not that they'd NEED to enroll them in that, either.

Just take like, a minute to think this out before you start asking me questions like I'm the Mexican authority. It's just common sense.