Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:40 PM        Was the American Empire destiny?
There just seems to be lots of parallels between the US and the Roman empire. The idea that the US all of sudden has become this "imperialistic bully" really isn't new, we always have been.

Even some of the history is similar:
Rome started as a small monarchy, while the "US" was under a monarchy (The English) both societies overthrew their kings and formed a republic. And after which, both expanded, the Romans took land from the "barbarians" while the US did with their own "barbarians" (American Indians).
The Romans built their empire on the backs of slaves, the US did the same, whether literally or indirectly.
The Romans borrowed much of their culture from another former empire the Greeks. The US certainly did the same with England.
We didn't quite have as many civil wars as the Romans, but we did have one that split the country in two for awhile.
The Romans had many enemies (Besides each other) but their was only one that really posed a serious threat and that was Carthage, for the US, it was the USSR. We even had our own "Punic Wars" (Korea, and Vietnam) and like Carthage, the USSR was a formidable enemy but just couldn't make that extra "push" to destroy the US And eventually it fell apart. And Rome sowed salt into the Carthage's land (Well okay we just flooded the former Solviet Block countries with US pop culture instead instead)
After Carthage their really wasn't any "proper" enemies and Rome was supreme. Oh there were barabarians here and there (Which would be our terrorists of today) but nothing serious. Funny thing is the US is having problems with the same areas as the Roman Empire did. Right now we're practically on the ancient Roman-Parthian Empire border. (Iraq-Iran)

Oh lets not forget we are offically entering the empire stage of our evolution. We even got a direct dynasty thing going on. The Bush dynasty with Emperor George the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeb doesn't get in one day either.

So I say its evolution, that the US has taken its place it has today. Besides the Roman Empire lasted a long time during its empire phase before it finally fell, so today's American citizen's can relax and not worry that we're going to "fall" anytime soon. (Hopefully when we do eventually fall, it'll be more like England's and not Rome's)

So just sit back and enjoy the games. (Pro Wrestling and Jackass)
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:54 PM       
Utter trash, and instrinsically worthless.

If your take on history was not so elementary, I would carefully refute your silly and inept comparisons, but then, if your take on history were not so elementary you would not have posted it in the first place.