Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:37 PM        Family names
I've been wanting to have this question answered for a very long time now. Ok How come there is so many different family names? It just doesn't make any sence to me that there are so many different variations of family names.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM       
A) Certain terms get combined over time, or people's speech slurs syllables together. (i.e. Goodbye = God be with you). Different cultures would end up combining syllables in different ways.

B) Different languages. Plain language terms like "short" would get translated into the local dialect.

C) Different spellings. When immigrants came to North America at the beginning of the 20th century, most of them couldn't read or write, so when they were asked their names, the dude filling out the form just wrote down how he thought it was spelled. Different dudes meant different spellings.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:09 AM       
Also, family names haven't always existed. I don't know much about the subject even in my own country, just that during my country's French occupation, it was decreed that everyone had to choose a last name to be more easily identified, or something. Up till that time, people had been using their last name as a reference to their father: "Peter's Son", "John's Daughter". Anyway, a whole lot of new, made-up names suddenly appeared this way (some people even made up joke names because they thought the concept was stupid and wouldn't last - "Bornnude" is still a rather common name over here). Some people probably combined their existing last name into a single word, which would be where names like Johnson and Peterson come from.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:23 AM       
A lot of family names are the name of the job one ancestor or another had. This is very common in Germany, as well as many other places.

Here in Norway, people's names are usually the name of the place their family comes from.

In some countries like Sri Lanka, the wife and children of a man take his first name as their last.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:05 PM       
thankyou very much for replies. It was one of those wierd little questions that I had in the back of my head for a while and your answers where fun and interesting.