Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM        Deadliest Warrior - T.V. Show
I've been watching this for a few weeks and now catching repeats of it. Totally worth watching.

Basically they take two of the Deadlist Warrior and compare stats, including weapons and armor. Damage done by weapons against a human and then against armor are complied into a computer. They then sim the battle results 1000 times and declare a winner. When they do the testing they use a build-a-human which simulates damage to real skin, tissue and organs. While this is going on there are two different people for each warrior representing their fighting style, weapons armor and basically talking smack against the other warriors reps. Spike TV.

After the results they reenact what the scene would look like:

So far they had:

Episode 1: Apace Vs. Gladiator
Episode 2: Viking Vs. Samurai
Episode 3: Spartan Vs. Ninja
Episode 4: Pirate Vs. Knight

I haven't seen the results in episode 4 but so far it's pretty solid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior

Looking forward to next weeks episode: A 1920's-ish NY Mafioso against a Yakuza.

Last edited by 10,000 Volt Ghost : May 4th, 2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: t -> w
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM       
IRA vs Taliban If the Taliban guys suicide bombs them both does that count as a victory?
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM       
Whats the setting that the battles take place in? Are they just placed into an open arena to simulate the battle? Or do they change the setting? Like one battle would be in say the gladiators arena then one battle in the woods? I think setting would play a major role in some of these.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM       
Lone white man vs Government
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM       
They basically just sim the stats so arena isn't of consiquence technically. But when they film it they usually fight in the woods for some stupid reason. The gladiator got his trident stuck in a branch and the apache whooped on him then.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM       
I've watched a couple episodes of it.

It comes across like a giant nerd battle. The team representing each warriors does a demonstration of a weapon, the other team comes in to marginalize it, then they bicker for a little bit.

They basically take a handful of weapons, group them into categories, and compare them. Then they give one warrior the "edge" in the comparison. The thing is, sometimes the results start to look skewed in one warrior's favor, so they have to start making some creative interpretations to justify a more even split (a blowgun dart is more deadly than a spear to the chest).

I guess really, it's less like a nerd fight, and more like a fight between what jocks think nerds are like. They make a lot of simple mistakes in their tests (mostly in the name of making it look like an even match), and one of the guys who crunches the numbers is called a "computer whiz".

In the pirate vs. knight episode, for instance, they kept making a big stink over how the knight's platemail was turning aside nearly all the pirates weapons. Then, they decide to test a pirate's cutlass vs a knight's broadsword but cutting pigs in half, but decide to gloss over the armor thing that they'd been harping on since the first test.

It's mostly a lot of fluff around a handful of unscientific tests to show how medieval weapons could explode gel dummies filled with red dye.

Old May 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM       
Yeah the pirate vs knight thing.... I was curious how anything a pirate had would get past the armor. Then I thought what if they were on a ship? Get that knight fall overboard and...
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM       
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Yeah the pirate vs knight thing.... I was curious how anything a pirate had would get past the armor. Then I thought what if they were on a ship? Get that knight fall overboard and...
They decided that the pirate "grenado" would work fairly well against the knight. Also, while the flintlock pistol was worthless, the pirate's blunderbus did punch through the platemail when they loaded it with modern grapeshot. Of course, they ignored the fact that the gun misfired on its first shot because the pirate weapons "expert" held it the wrong way and all the black powder ran out.

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM       
Did it still have enough stopping power to really hurt someone inside the armor? Or did they just observe that it would make a hole?
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM       
Anyone else notice how the Spartan pretty much rubbed the glass out of his eye, said he's fine, and went back to fighting? Bullshit.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM       
Been watching this show as well. The science is highly speculative. I have no idea how a computer program will calculate variables. I mean, how would you actually program the effectiveness of plate armor? Assign it a number between one and ten? Also way to much opinion in this thing to make any outcome serious.
Still enjoy the carnage though.
As for the Spartan and the eye full of glass, that final battle is just a Hollywood fight scene encompassing some of the scenarios and tactics used in the 1000 fights run. It's not representative of any one battle.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM       
That doesn't change how retarded it was.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM       
I'm amazed that anyone from here watches this shit or anything else on Spike

That was very funny. Well done.
Ringmonster
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM       
Ya, original Spike programing usually sucks balls...but this show isn't bad. Entertaining at the very least. I didn't even know it was Spike until I looked it up online after being told about it. I assumed it was Discovery or something.
Funky Dynamite
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Did it still have enough stopping power to really hurt someone inside the armor? Or did they just observe that it would make a hole?
They fired it at a gel dummy wearing a plate breastplate made of two steel plates that overlapped in the middle. The BBs wound up going right through the breastplate, even at the thickest point, and drawing "blood" from the dummy. They never said how deep each BB had to go to draw blood, but like Pednaud was saying, the show is more about carnage than coming up with meaningful data.

Ringmonster
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM       
I just watched something called 'Aftermath' on the Deadliest Warriors website. It's supposed to clear up any forum complaints and nerds being nerdy. Funny thing is their answers on there are even more ambiguous then on the show. It's like watching a political debate in that not a single question is answered directly.

For example, they were asked if they took into account that knights wore chain mail under their breastplate and if that would have any effects on the Pirate vs. Knight battle. Their expert replied that 'well, chain mail isn't that effective against bullets' and that was all he said.

So, was that a yes or a no or 'oh shit we forgot' or 'let's just ignore that'.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM       
Downloaded the pirate vs knight episode. This type of programme is exactly why I hate american factual TV shows. They repeat everything they say about 10 fucking times and re-cap every 2 minutes. As others have said the science is highly suspect and that Computer Programmer guy(/guy that inputs some useless crap in excel) irritates the piss out of me - actually almost all of them irritate the piss out of me.

Why can't just just repeat the tests a few times or do variations instead of re-capping some bollocks we've seen ten times already or show some re-enactment crap.

Really poor.

Last edited by MetalMilitia : May 5th, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM       
Now now, America does have some good factual warrior shows, you just won't see it on Spike.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM       
You know a show is definitely shit when you sign onto facebook and see people's statuses being updated with shit like "dat show is really cool i didnt know ninjas through eggs full of glass lol|!!."

Seriously, when it's on spike, it LOOKS like shit, and the retards eat it up, chances are it really will be shit.

That was very funny. Well done.
Funky Dynamite
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM       
If they actually put effort into making their experiments at least appear scientific, we'd probably be watching it on the Discovery Channel rather than Spike.

Token Bleeding Heart
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM       
Zing!
But really, what the fuck happened to legitimately educational programming?
Funky Dynamite
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM       
They stopped showing it on Spike when they realized it had neither violence nor hot girls.

☆☆☆☆☆
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM       
I love the Spike girls
Ringmonster
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM       
Hey now, thanks to Manswers I now know that fake boobies don't float. Educational AND incorporation of boobage. Great work Spike.

Seriously, I hate that god damned show. Way to assaulting on the senses. Probably throws folks into seizures.