Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM        South China sea incident
So you probably heared about the five China flagged trawlers that surrounded the USNS Impeccable to protest it sailing inside the Chinease EEZ. What I was wondering, could it be possible that a sub "slipped through" undetected during the commotion? From what I know about sonar it could be possible that the engine noise from the trawlers would overwhelm the USNS Impeccable's towed sonar transducer.

Any Navy sailors here that can reassure me that we did NOT just loose track of an "enemy" nuclear sub?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM       
All I hear is cry baby tears from the U.S.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Robot View Post
So you probably heared about the five China flagged trawlers that surrounded the USNS Impeccable to protest it sailing inside the Chinease EEZ. What I was wondering, could it be possible that a sub "slipped through" undetected during the commotion? From what I know about sonar it could be possible that the engine noise from the trawlers would overwhelm the USNS Impeccable's towed sonar transducer.

Any Navy sailors here that can reassure me that we did NOT just loose track of an "enemy" nuclear sub?
Just to clear up, were you talking about nuclear-powered attack subs armed with conventional warheads or deterrent subs armed with nuclear warheads?

This is just a public continuation of what has been going on between the Chinese Navy and the US Pacific fleet for years. Really not that big of a deal, which is to say we "loose track" of foreign submarines all the time, though we sometimes have a vague idea of where they are operating even if we don't have an active bead on them.

China's nuclear-powered sub fleet is many, many years away from approaching the sophistication of the United States. To give an idea, England's subs are at least 20 years behind the average sub we have on patrol right now.

The biggest threat to US Naval supremacy is probably the proliferation of numerous diesel-electric vessels that sacrifice operational flexibility for extremely quiet operation when acting on electric power.

The only thing that might be of concern is that the Chinese were attempting to capture the sonar technology (currently the most advanced in the world) by snaring it on poles placed on the sea floor.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM       
Catch the transducer? The news report said they were trying to grab the transducer with grappling hooks from one of the trawlers! LOL!@
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM       
Wait? They were throwing grappling hooks at a transducer on the Impeccable? At what point can a NAVY captain decide that they are under attack and start blowing people out of the water?
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM       
Too bad they didn't have a batarang.
You may already be there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Wait? They were throwing grappling hooks at a transducer on the Impeccable? At what point can a NAVY captain decide that they are under attack and start blowing people out of the water?
I don't see that as a good idea. I think it is great that our military kept level heads. I keep wondering what kind of boats were doing all this? Little speed boats?

edit: I forgot, our ship was unarmed.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM       
No, in this particular situation Im glad they didnt open fire and sink some rickety old trawlers. That would have China and a lot of other people up in arms and would be more trouble than its worth. Im more curious at what point or offensive action does a US navy captain consider his men and or ship is in danger and would take "defensive" action.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM       
I'm guessing the threat level would have to be very high. If they did manage to steal our sonar, I think we would have to do the U.N. thing and China would have to sit in detention and give us back our equipment. The would have already mapped the whole thing before we would get it back though.

I guess what I'm saying is that in Chinas case, they would probably have to have armed and readied weapons in order for us to even think about firing on them.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
The Impeccable is actually unarmed (other than a couple small arms in a locker somewhere) and crewed by civilians, as it's a privately owned vessel built specifically to be contracted to the government. The only Navy personnel on board deal specifically with the sonar equipment, probably just a handful of junior enlisted personnel.

Also the transducer isn't actually on the vessel, its towed in the water behind it.
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM       
We should just tow a string of mines behind a ship. that'll teach em.

The Soviets never would have pulled this shit. They had other means of stealing tech. They also had class.
Escape will make me god.
hAS RUG-BURN
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:10 AM       
I found the picture, hes trying to pull up the transducer.

Last edited by Evil Robot : Mar 12th, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: yes
hAS RUG-BURN
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:13 AM       
The tires are sooo ghetto
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:45 AM       
I was just thinking that in 20 years when China's ready to make a play for international maritime dominance that its massive civilian fleet will play a major role, as it's already providing cover for espionage and whatever special operations the Chinese Navy needs help with as well as moving sensitive people and materials.
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM       
Yah, it's massive civilian fleet will play a role when it re-enacts Dunkirk while retreating from Taiwan.
Escape will make me god.