Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

James sucks
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM        Woman chased by fake alien sues show
Wednesday, February 19, 2003 Posted: 9:35 AM EST (1435 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Kara Blanc thought she was being chased by a space alien on her way to a posh Hollywood party and was terrified. But the alien turned out to be an actor in a monster suit and the party was phony as well.

So now the Los Angeles grade school teacher and aspiring actress is fighting back, suing the new reality TV series "Scare Tactics," claiming she suffered severe emotional damage, court papers said Tuesday.

Blanc sued the Sci-Fi Channel, the producers of "Scare Tactics" and two actors for scaring her so badly that she had to be hospitalized several times for "physical injuries" and "severe emotional distress," her lawsuit said.

Blanc said she was a "nonconsenting and unwitting victim" of the hidden camera show with a science fiction twist.

According to Blanc's lawsuit, she was sucked into a "Scare Tactic" episode last March 1 by actors Mathew Mertha and Travis Draft, who said they were taking her to "an exclusive Hollywood industry party at a desert resort" near Los Angeles.

On the way to the resort, the car that the trio were riding in stalled in a remote desert road and Mertha and Draft "feigned that they were being seriously physically injured ... or killed " by a costumed "alien," the lawsuit said.

Mertha and Draft allegedly told a terrified Blanc to run into a "dark, desert canyon area" to escape, the suit said.

Hidden cameras secretly recorded her reaction to the staged scenario. Neither Blanc nor her attorney could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Blanc teaches dance, music, drama and performance art and is certified as a crisis counselor. She is also an aspiring actress who co-hosted a mock-documentary film with Draft.

Sci-Fi Channel spokeswoman Kat Stein declined comment on the case but said the premise of "Scare Tactics" was to film "friends setting their friends up with a prank."

Pending episodes feature campers who believe mythical mountain creature Bigfoot attacks them, and limousine passengers who are chased by "government agents" when they stray into Area 51, a super-secret U.S. military facility at the center of UFO and conspiracy stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:11 PM       
lol

FS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:50 PM       
Quote:
for scaring her so badly that she had to be hospitalized several times for "physical injuries"
I'd like to see her explain that. She started anally probing herself on several occasions to make sure she wasn't carrying any spy equipment?

Still, I hope she wins. Lousy candid camera ripoff shows.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:44 PM       
Quote:
who said they were taking her to "an exclusive Hollywood industry party at a desert resort" near Los Angeles
she must have been expecting a different kind of probing.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:54 AM        Re: Woman chased by fake alien sues show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman
Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Don't you just love how copyright law is respected on the Net...I hope she wins something.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM       
I don't.

She probably thought it was funny until they told her that she wasn't getting paid for it.
slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 02:40 PM       
If she had only been carrying a gun and killed the prick, then she would have won. Whatever the outcome of the lawsuit, she's branded the greedy crybaby.