Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bod is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM        The Lying Press
We all know the media lies and tells us how to think, right? I mean it's general knowledge. YES? But you really have to experience it to get it I believe.

I often work on a Catholic Newspaper and the two editors are so honest and forthright, you know every statement is as true as they believe it to be. And it's not the most exciting read on this planet, but I know it's all true. And I know not all journalists are like that.

But lordy, I got taught a lesson recently and my co-worker (another designer who works on magazines and newspapers with me) is as stunned as me.

Many on you will have come across me moaning about my home being knocked down and also the new home I bought being accidentally gutted by the council. The council lied to me (and still are as it goes but that's another story) to the extent I contacted my local paper. The news became popular and got into the Nationals. At once I found myself repeating myself, telling 'misunderstood' journalists the REAL facts. I mean, how did they keep getting it wrong?

Then a few magazines offered me money for my story. Now considering it's going to cost me around £1500 to fix what the council's done, accepting money for my story seemed fair enough.

A few magazines bidded and the best bid was £300. I went for it. They emailed me questions and I spent an afternoon answering one hundred percent honestly. To me the truth as to what the council has done to myself and neighbours was hard hitting enough and I didn't want to ruin it with exaggeration, hearsay or slander. So I took a lot of care and consideration.

The journalist phoned me up asking a lot of silly airhead questions about decor and my cats?!! She kept asking for more and more photos. Of my old house, my new house, me, my cats, the area, me having fun in the old house with mates. etc etc

When they called me last Monday (And I'm so glad that did this, I'm fucking grateful) with the read through, I was stunned. It was so loosely based on what I'd said it was hilarious, were I not worried about the council suing me for slander. Like a Hollywood remake.

For example, I told them that many months before demolition I was informed by letter about it in an impersonal matter and that myself and my neighbours had campaigned to fight it. The magazine wrote it like we all woke up one day to see bulldozers and wrecking balls totally out of the blue, and that this was the first we knew about it!!

It's full of fictitious conversations of people I'd mentioned in conversation. And my ex neighbour will be surprised to hear that she had hanging baskets, was my best friend and grew a community garden at the bottom of the road that we all sat in. In truth, she grew a lovely private back garden and gave me a few plants over the wall.

The lies about me I let go (my old home was in tatters, never redecorated since the 70's and my cats have opinions on the decor) because I was weary making sure the stuff about the council was true lest they took me to court. So I bit the bullet and thought that as it's a crap magazine barely anyone would read it so it didn't matter.

But you know, I had a say on the final WORD edit.

And considering I emailed them around 30 photos in all, you wouldn't think they needed any more!

But next to the real pictures of the trashed bathroom and kitchen, they've used FAKE photos of my lounge which are far worse than what the council did with the caption 'my lounge' above it! And then photos of wrecking balls - I never saw one. And bulldozers knocking down buildings I've never seen in my life.

This has certainly been a learning curve and when the press so easily lie about something that only matters to a handful of people, - in fact they were stunned that I was annoyed that it was so wrong - think about the astronomical lies you are being told EVERYDAY.

I used to read it all with a pinch of salt. Now I don't see the point of reading it. I may as well read Grimm's Fairy Tales.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM       

Last edited by liquidstatik : Jun 29th, 2023 at 06:25 AM.
John Freeman! Over here!
Maxilor is probably a spambot
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM       
Well that's a life lesson everyone has to learn.

The News can care less about the truth, they just want people to buy and read papers.

If I wrote a story about how I cut my finger with a butter knife that would be a boring read. If I wrote a story about how I cut my own arm off with a bone saw then im sure it would be a top story, hence would then sell more papers.

To liquidstatik: O NOE U DI'INT!
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM       
Yeah I won't defend the Bible. It was written a long time after the said events. I'm not religious, I just respect the people I know who try to be honest. REligion has nothing to do with honesty. Just the people I work for happen to try to be honest as far as I can tell more than anyone I have ever worked for and that's nice.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
But you really have to experience it to get it I believe.
This is so true. So true about a great many of things. We all think we know how it is, but until it happens to you, you find out how naive we really are. Or perhaps you are in a line of work and other perceive your work to be a certain way, and you can't believe that they don't see it for what it really is.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM       
I think working for a newspaper/magazines, I thought I knew a little about media.

I'm not religious, but I work for religious people, so I thought I was reading the things I designed from an outsider's point of view. But as I know and respect (though not always agree) the people I work for, understand them more.

Where I work, we check every resource and would never print a photo we thought to be incorrect, whereas the publication I sold my story to, purposely used the wrong images.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM       
Yeah, I wasn't comparing your work. I just meant a lot of jobs in general. For instance, I'm a journeyman electrician. If people really knew the truth about how easy it is and how long it actually takes to wire some thing. They would be pissed. We all know that we are getting screwed by electricians, but until you work as one, you really don't know how screwed you are getting.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM       
Obviously other people in my profession screw harder than me. Jammy twats.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM       
You gotta put your back into it baby.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM       
POLITICS FORUM

also I depend on Colbert for all my news he is a reliable trusted source
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM       
Which magazine was it?
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM       
"Jammy twats" is my new favorite phrase.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM       
Full House, a pretty crap magazine there can be no denial
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM       
I haven't trusted the media for years.

A good friend, a police officer, was killed here a years back and up until that point I actually had a fair amount of faith in the press. However, seeing the constant and compounded errors made in their reports was absolutely astounding and disheartening. Some of the stuff was small and some of it was big but regardless there should have been no errors in reporting such an event in a relatively small town.

I can only imagine the errors reporters make when they are nowhere near the news they are reporting.
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM       
i had to look up full house. it looks like every other shitrag peddling a dream world to the jobless karen matthews of this country. let's be honest - there's journalistic integrity, and there's the magazines at the 5 items or less counter of iceland. they have no obligation to truth because they're selling entertainment, not news. if you're sharing column space with Mr Sausage - "my friends call me Mr Sausage, for no other reason than I’m mad about them" - you probably aren't looking at a Bob Woodward exposé.